Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How has WAB influenced your opinion of Americans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to identify a canadian from american?

I like south african accent the best, "Barry Richards" one of the favourite commentator.
    Hala Madrid!!

Comment

My opinion remains somewhat unchanged.
      As a country I have always held high regard for America for all that it has achieved. As people, it is some what conflicting for myself. Most of my first cousins have been born & brought up in the States & my American friends @ University also gave me a very positive view of Americans.
      But at the same time I have come across americans both @ work and pesonal life @ times who have been arrogant and at times dumb, but I should mention that this trend can be found with people from any country. I can surely say the same about us Indians.

On the whole WAB has not managed to alter my preceptions about Americans or even America.

On a personal note I would like to add that most US bashers are either motivated by media sources ( i.e. newspapers, TV news stations etc) who either have their own political agenda or by people who are just brainwashed.

P.S. When the constant American Bashing for the last 4 years hasn't been able change my mind in the UK, I doubt anything else can.

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
        How to identify a canadian from american?

I like south african accent the best, "Barry Richards" one of the favourite commentator.
        I always end up pissing Canadians by asking them, are you from the States

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
          Don't you know any Americans? ;) We're impatient. You goofy non-Americans aren't giving us enough answers.

Chop chop!

-dale

ROFL! One thing has to be said, that devastating american humour is a sure fire winner. British Humour has its own charm but the american humour is absolutely devastating. ;)
          "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

As far as accents go, the scottish accent is one which I like very much, then like Parihaka mentioned the Indian accents can be quite funny. But I also find the southern US accent rather interesting, it certainly has its charm particularly the texan and georgian. ;)

And Parihaka, didn't you have a Maori player in your cricket team a few years ago whose name went something like this,

Heath te-ihi-ohri-thi-rangi-Davis? ;)
            And can you translate "Land of the long white clouds" in maori please.
            "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Gautam
              I always end up pissing Canadians by asking them, are you from the States
              Even their accents arent much diff .
              Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray

TH,
                The doctor I suspect is Peter Sellers, right?
                Actually, it's because my pediatrician was Indian

Actually, here in the United States there are many many doctors from India.
                If you open up the phone book under "Physicians" you will find dozens of Indian names.
                It's almost a cliché :)
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I am not surprised that a large number of doctors in the US are of Indian origin.

I am sure you mean that Indians love to get to the inside of the things! ;)

I was about to mention "love to get to the bottom of things", but that could be misconstrued as their being the best doctors for hemorrhoids!

Have you ever had a proctoscopy done?

Our Second in command when I was a junior officer in the battalion used to go for this for some ailment or the other.

I had asked him if it hurts.

He said giving a most disdainful and scornful look, "It used to in the beginning. Nowadays, I look forward to it! Seem to be enjoying it actually!"

It gave meaning to the Indian and British Army adage, "Second Lts should be seen and not heard!"

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                    As far as accents go, the scottish accent is one which I like very much
                    The UK accent is the best! That accent gives me chills. But I do have to say that Duncan Macleod (Adrian Paul) did have a certain charm as well. :)
                    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

How it has effected my opinions of the Yanks? Well lets just say it repaired a lot of the damage from Free Republic.
                      I have always supported what is called the American right wing POV, but lets say not liked the messengers. Here at WAB I have met many Republicans with who make a lot of sence and are polite, articulate and educated. By this I mean not the "lets nuke every rag head sand n i g g e r" type, which seem to prevade Free Republic.

If I may be as bold as to say, the problem with the US perception is the rest of the World only sees Michael Moore (who is starting to bug me now; courtsey WAB) and his right wing opposite numbers, not the Leaders, Dales and Sheks and Snipers. I agree your media is ridicoulusly left wing. While I still have not come around to agreeing with the Iraq war, (Afghanistan agreed with the start), I am rather bemused as how every IED attack on US Troops is somehow portrayed as another "First Day on the Somme", your army is a reincarnation of Halaugu Khans hordes, and the odd WP attack is a repeat of Hiroshima.

The Col has been worth a four years Bachalors in Military History. I sometimes go look up his posts and never fail to learn something new. The Indians on this forum have been mostly exasperating, however the Brig, Captain Lemontree and Monk (why is he not a senior member yet?)have made it enjoyable and I can say that I have been enriched by reading their posts. Top Hatter and Dreadnought, I never ever believed that their could be other people like me who could be as obsessed by the ins and outs of 60 year old ships. Great fun guys.
                      "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

As far as accents go, the scottish accent is one which I like very much, then like Parihaka mentioned the Indian accents can be quite funny. But I also find the southern US accent rather interesting, it certainly has its charm particularly the texan and georgian. ;)

And Parihaka, didn't you have a Maori player in your cricket team a few years ago whose name went something like this,

Heath te-ihi-ohri-thi-rangi-Davis? ;)
                        And can you translate "Land of the long white clouds" in maori please.
                        Can't remember Heath Davis's full name sorry but 'Land of the long white cloud" is of course Aotearoa (say it oow as in it hurts tea as in the drink ah as in now I understand row as in rowing a boat ah as before
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

ROFL! One thing has to be said, that devastating american humour is a sure fire winner. British Humour has its own charm but the american humour is absolutely devastating. ;)
                          How so?

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                            How so?

-dale
                            Well, its really straight up, you don't need an IQ of 140 to figure it out. And usually, it is very funny in the context of the situation. ;)

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                              How it has effected my opinions of the Yanks? Well lets just say it repaired a lot of the damage from Free Republic.

Are there any yanks on this board perhaps barring Julie? ;)

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Julie and Confed are both pure Yanks through and through!!!!!

They are gonna hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree

Aaargh, look at me playing around with mods!!!!!!!!!
                                "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X