• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StrikeEagle
    #1 F/A - 22 Raptor
    #2 EF-2000 Typhoon
    #3 F-35
    #4 Rafale
    #5 F-15K (Better fighter than the C model)
    #6 F-15C
    #7 F-14D
    #8 F/A - 18F Super Hornet
    #9 SU-35/37 Super Flanker/Terminator
    #10 JAS-39 Grifen
    hmm, the first batch of F-15K does not have AESA radar.

Comment

Originally posted by tphuang
      I'm not too surprised with Gripen's range, because its nose is tiny.
      I am.

It would make all the Gripen vs F-16 comparisons a joke - especially vs the F-16E/F, with an APG-80 detection range of 128-146km vs a 1m^2 target. (IIRC)

Originally posted by tphuang
      As for APG-79, it can be joining service tomorrow and it will still qualify as not having joined the service yet.
      True. However if you go by that measure, you can toss out the F/A-22 too, at least for a few more days. ;)
      Last edited by B.Smitty; 08 Dec 05,, 04:15.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Smitty
        I am.

It would make all the Gripen vs F-16 comparisons a joke - especially vs the F-16E/F, with an APG-80 detection range of 128-146km vs a 1m^2 target. (IIRC)
        You're talking about PS-05A? It should be replaced in 2010 by NORA AESA radar.
        >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

I am.

True. However if you go by that measure, you can toss out the F/A-22 too, at least for a few more days. ;)

From what I understand the F-22 is already in service is it not?

Comment

i believe that you are leavin out the AVRO ARROW which aloowedd the americans to develeope the F-22 and the stealth Bomber. It also still beats modern day planes because America may have the records but their not all in one plane like the ARROw was going to be. and mind you this is 40 years ago the plane was designed, and even though it was never finished you should at least give it credit.

if you don't believe me llok it up in a search engine

Comment

Originally posted by canoe
              For being in service it needs a bit of time. The bird must be in-ridden first, pilots must be trained on the new unit, all weaponsystems must work, there must be enough jets always clear for a QRA etc.
              It still needs a year or two till F-22 is really in service I think.
              >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Does anybody know if the serial F-22s are making shooting tests yet?
                >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by canadian boy
                  i believe that you are leavin out the AVRO ARROW which aloowedd the americans to develeope the F-22 and the stealth Bomber. It also still beats modern day planes because America may have the records but their not all in one plane like the ARROw was going to be. and mind you this is 40 years ago the plane was designed, and even though it was never finished you should at least give it credit.

if you don't believe me llok it up in a search engine
                  I don't think the Arrow had anything to do with the F-22 or the B-2, they're completely stealth based designs. The arrow was a swept delta wing design, it was built as a high speed interceptor. The closest fighter I can think of would be the French Mirage.

Also the Arrow was not an operational aircraft, although it was definately a very advanced prototype for its time.

Comment

Originally posted by JG73
                    Does anybody know if the serial F-22s are making shooting tests yet?
                    I know they had them dropping GPS guided bombs for practice a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by canoe
                      Last I saw, it was schedule to reach Initial Operational Capability (IOC) sometime this month. Since I haven't seen any reports about it recently, I assume it's still forthcoming.

Comment

Last I saw, it was schedule to reach Initial Operational Capability (IOC) sometime this month. Since I haven't seen any reports about it recently, I assume it's still forthcoming.

The Raptor has been used in live-fire exercises. There have been videos of missile launches on the web for quite a while.

43FS at Tyndall is a full-up squadron of 23 aircraft, and the 27FS at Langley is now receiving (I think) all of Marietta's production.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy
                          The Raptor has been used in live-fire exercises. There have been videos of missile launches on the web for quite a while.

43FS at Tyndall is a full-up squadron of 23 aircraft, and the 27FS at Langley is now receiving (I think) all of Marietta's production.

Yes, true, but it is still not operational. It is in it's final stages of evaluation.

Comment

for the arrow im not talking of the wing design i was talking about how it developed the fly by wire system from scratch and that is what is used in the B2 and the F22, it design it also related the the space shuttle, and the concorde

Comment

for the arrow im not talking of the wing design i was talking about how it developed the fly by wire system from scratch and that is what is used in the B2 and the F22, it design it also related the the space shuttle, and the concorde
                              It was definately the first fly-by-wire aircraft, and some of those designs probably used knowledge from it. I don't think the B2 or the B22's fly-by-wire systems look even remotely close to the one in the arrow. But at any rate I think the thread is looking for the top 10 aircraft right now. The arrow wouldn't stand a chance against any of the aircraft on that list unfortunately given its age.

Comment

It was definately the first fly-by-wire aircraft, and some of those designs probably used knowledge from it. I don't think the B2 or the B22's fly-by-wire systems look even remotely close to the one in the arrow. But at any rate I think the thread is looking for the top 10 aircraft right now. The arrow wouldn't stand a chance against any of the aircraft on that list unfortunately given its age.

A website with a bunch of neat aircraft that never made it but probably should have is :

http://www.unrealaircraft.com/classics/classics.php

Comment

Working...
                                X