My first hurdle leaped, My first step taken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first hurdle leaped, My first step taken

Today was a very significant moment in my army career: Today I got my black beret with my tankers pin with combat red background, and I had my swearing in ceremony. The ceremonies took place in Latrun, the place where Israel used heavy armor for the first time. Here's how it went for the past couple weeks:

Two weeks ago we had a masa which was insanely hard, at the end of which we earned the tankers pin with red combat background for our standard green berets. Last tuesday we had gunnery practice in the tanks, where I got to shoot for the first, and definetely not the last, time. My hits were good, day, night, and in transit. One shot, one kill, as they like to say. That was pretty much the highlights until yesterday.

Yesterday the platoon commanders broke "distance" with us, meaning we beat them up and then spent three hours trading stories with them. Then Thursday morning, November 10th, at 2:30 AM my masa kumta started, and at 8:45 AM, 17 regular and 7 stretcher kilometers (1 strecher km=3 regular km) later, it ended in Latrun, with family and friends present. I was presented with a bible with my name in it, and my black beret, and then I took the oath. Even though we practised the ceremony numerous times, it wasn't the same this time. When we said the words "I Swear!" I positively screamed my heart out.

That's just about it for now, I got home and have vacation for a whole week. I'll try and put pictures up tomorrow, tonight I'm gettin smashed.

Good Night Everybody!!!
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Congrats, Ben. Welcome back!
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Congratulations, Warrior.

Comment

Congratulations.

Tank man is it? ;)

Lucky you.

No walking.

Do explain this masa and masa kumta.
        Last edited by Ray; 10 Nov 05,, 21:29.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Masa is something like a trek, but with more significance. I think I've mentioned it a couple times before. Usually at the end of a Masa you earn something, i.e. your rifle, your pin, your beret, etc... Masa Kumta is the Masa where you earn your beret (Kumta in Hebrew)
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
            Today was a very significant moment in my army career: Today I got my black beret with my tankers pin with combat red background, and I had my swearing in ceremony.
            And now you're walking even taller than before :)

Even though we practised the ceremony numerous times, it wasn't the same this time. When we said the words "I Swear!" I positively screamed my heart out.
            I'll bet you did. I know I would have done the same thing

Congratulations Ben, I know you'll do us proud.

Sniper will be along momentarily to call you a DAT, I'm pretty sure ;)
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yeah, but his gun has only a fraction of the range, accuracy, and versatility mine does.

Comment

Yeah, but his gun has only a fraction of the range, accuracy, and versatility mine does.
                I bet he's harder to detect, though.

As Willie used to say:
                Last edited by Bluesman; 15 Dec 06,, 18:14.

Comment

My compliments and congratulations, BR,

Now be nice to the engineers. BTW, are you going officer?

Comment

Yay! Good job Buddy!
                    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                      BTW, are you going officer?
                      Hey that reminds me....are you planning on the IDF as a career?
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I really don't know. I might go to the Tank Commander course after my advanced training if they offer it to me. After that, again, if they offer it to me, I might go to officer school. Another option is to stay in on the NCO path, if I like what I'm doing.

I discovered that I'm now no longer a private, I'm now a PFC. Go figure...

Comment

Congrats buddy......
                          Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Congratulations Ben.
                            In three months from teenager to Tanker. ;) :)
                            "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Working...
                            X