Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on some articles it says that M82 is very hard to handle. however one soldier said he shot the rifle at an iraqi insurgent and when he came to look at the insurgent's body, the head looked as if it was shattered into pieces. luckily there's no pic of that on the article.

Comment

PSG-1, not even close IMO.

Comment

Soooooooooooo M21, what did you vote for? Still see 0 votes for the M21.

Would have to go with a bolt gun, M24, M40 or a Parker-Hale.

Agree 110% with Dale on the WA2000. As an E-5 in the late 70’s the $5K+ price tag was only a dream.

It is a stretch to call a M82 man-portable, about as much fun a schlepping a Ma-duce all over the place. 7th ID Light Fighters, oh joy!!!!!!!! ;)

M40A1 - you need a time out.
        AK-Dave

Those who trade liberty for security have none.

Comment

Originally posted by raptor1992
          on some articles it says that M82 is very hard to handle. however one soldier said he shot the rifle at an iraqi insurgent and when he came to look at the insurgent's body, the head looked as if it was shattered into pieces. luckily there's no pic of that on the article.
          lugging around 32#s plus ammo would be no fun at all, but as for reaching out and destroying someone, the M82, or the new designation M107 has no equal. especially when the target is hiding behind or in something. I have shot one. The recoil system and muzzle brake, works well and is similer to a 3" shell fired from a single shot shotgun. Ear plugs AND ear ****s are recommended.

U.S. military armorers have no equal so I would be happy with nearly any rifle they have worked their magic on. Still don't want a .223 though.
          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I think you mean "SVD," not SDV. Anyway I think the SVD is the best semi-auto sniper rifle. It does the same thing that the PSG-1 does with a drastically lower cost. It fires the 7.62mm round, is semi-auto, and very light weight. It's accuracy is marginally inferior, but for the SVD you get a lot more for your money.

Comment

SVD is MUCH more inaccurate than the PSG-1.
              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

i know we going to have people siting and raving about there weapons of choice due to being from there country or ones which they have seen in hollywood films which look cool but which have never used or expereinced them..!!
                Would be nice to have a proper discussion/debate from people who actually know about the weapons, and have used them.!!

My personal recomendation would be the AWL96 rangeand for power to perofrmace ration the AW50 varient same punch as the Berrete but better overal performance and stability. it is slightly smaller, and more acurate, but is heavier then Berret..!
                Iv had the great fortune of firing both, which getting hold of and using the AW50. is friging hard..!! lol

Just a little intro into the AW range:-
                The Accuracy International Arctic Warfare rifle is a bolt-action sniper rifle designed by the British company Accuracy International. It can also refer to the whole family of AW rifles. It was developed by AI from the L96 (AI PM) to compete for a Swedish sniper rifle requirement that would allow operations in extreme cold, ie Arctic conditions. The AI entrant, dubbed the Arctic Warfare, was adopted by Sweden as the PSG-90. The British in turn adopted this as the L96A1, replacing the earlier L96. It has since spawned an entire family using the Arctic Warfare name, and has been adopted by a number of other countries, including Australia, Germany, The Netherlands, and Singapore. Other AI rifles tracing back to the L96 include the AI AE, and the AI AS50.

Its distinctive green frame, unique design and reliability in adverse weather conditions, have made it a popular weapon. The rifle has about 0.5 MOA, and its maximum effective range is about 600 m with a Schmidt & Bender 6 x 24 scope. The rifle uses an aluminium frame clad in a high impact plastic stock. The weapon is usually equipped with an integrated bipod and it also has a monopod in the butt. It is said that the rifle can kill a polar bear with one shot.

The regular Arctic Warfare rifle uses 7.62 mm NATO rounds, but it can also be fitted for the 5.56 mm cartridge. A standard scope is mounted and it has a muzzle brake to cut down on recoil. Each country's rifles differ slightly. The Swedish PSG-90 for example, uses a different scope to that of the L96A1, and also uses sabot rounds. The German Bundeswehr adopted the Magnum version of the AW chambered in .300 Winchester magnum (7.62x67 mm), and with a folding stock, as the Scharfschutzengewehre G22.

Variants:

AI Arctic Warfare; The basic improved version, chambered for 7.62 × 51 mm NATO with a green stock.
                AI Arctic Warfare Police (AWP); Black framed version of the regular AW for police use.
                AI Arctic Warfare Suppressed (AWS);also known as AW covert. A covert version that has a silencer, a folding stock, a detachable barrel, and can be taken apart easily. It is usually seen with a black or light gray frame and is sold with a specialy designed suitcase.
                AI Arctic Warfare Folding (AWF); A regular AW with folding stock.
                AI Arctic Warfare Magnum (AWM) (also seen as Super Magnum AW SM). An AW capable of being chambered for firing a range of larger caliber, and/or higher power cartridges.
                AI Arctic Warfare 50 (AW50); An AW chambered and changed for firing .50 BMG.
                The rifle itself based on the same design and ergonomic principles as the other rifles in the AW family and built to function reliably with all of the various types of .50 BMG ammunition. Its features render the cartridge more manageable while still maintaining maximum precision and strength. This means a built-in anti-recoil system, an adjustable back monopod to help with precise aiming, a fully adjustable folding stock for slightly compacted carry. An optional suppressor is also available, which effectively reduces the rifle's report, muzzle flash, smoke and ground dust disturbance, only increases the overall length by 381 mm / 15" . Typical sighting systems include a fixed 10x, a variable 3-12x or a variable 4-16x, and the standard backup iron sights.

The AW was developed from The Accuracy International L96L96; The Arctic Warfare series was developed from this rifle (orginally the AI PM).
                Scharfschutzengewehre G22;The German military's version with a folding stock and chambered for the .300 Winchester Magnum round.
                PSG-90;The Swedish military's version of the Arctic Warfare weapon.
                AW50F;The Australian military's version, which is essentially a AW50 with a folding stock and Madco barrel.
                AI LE: A cheaper, reduced feature version of the L96/AW series intended for law enforcement. It also has a black frame, but is not to be confused with the more expensive AWP or AWS.
                AI AS50; A semi-automatic .50 BMG rifle developed by AI and NSWC (Naval Surface Warfare Center) primarily for US Navy SEALs

Comment

P.S Dont get me wrong im not slating the other weapons for selection...there all fine pieces of work, which do what they say they do..!! L like the M24and PSG as well..but like with all situation u have to use the right tool for the right job..!! i prefer the PSG, M24, for kind of closer support work then long distance type jobs, e.g in the ranges off maximum 800m if u can understand what im on about..!! lol

Comment

Although i voted M24 I am kind interested in the Army's "new" play thing. The MK11 aka SR25 just got selected as the XM110 SASS Semi Automatic sniper system. and I am wondering what the snipers think of it.

( just curious and hoping not to end up like Mr. Furrybutt )

Comment

"think you mean "SVD," not SDV. Anyway I think the SVD is the best semi-auto sniper rifle. It does the same thing that the PSG-1 does with a drastically lower cost. It fires the 7.62mm round, is semi-auto, and very light weight. It's accuracy is marginally inferior, but for the SVD you get a lot more for your money."

The SVD is a piece of total junk.

You are entitled to your opinion though, no matter how woefully ignorant and incorrect as it may be.

PSG-1 is the clear winner on that list as an all around total sniper weapons system. It's not even close.

Comment

Dave- "Soooooooooooo M21, what did you vote for? Still see 0 votes for the M21."

I voted PSG-1.

"Would have to go with a bolt gun, M24, M40 or a Parker-Hale."

I prefer semis when the target shoots back.

"It is a stretch to call a M82 man-portable, about as much fun a schlepping a Ma-duce all over the place. 7th ID Light Fighters, oh joy!!!!!!!!"

The M-82 is great when you have a private to hump it for you....LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                          Dave- "Soooooooooooo M21, what did you vote for? Still see 0 votes for the M21."

I voted PSG-1.

"Would have to go with a bolt gun, M24, M40 or a Parker-Hale."

I prefer semis when the target shoots back.

"It is a stretch to call a M82 man-portable, about as much fun a schlepping a Ma-duce all over the place. 7th ID Light Fighters, oh joy!!!!!!!!"

The M-82 is great when you have a private to hump it for you....LOL.
                          Bill, what do you think about that godawful big Walther?
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

"on some articles it says that M82 is very hard to handle. however one soldier said he shot the rifle at an iraqi insurgent and when he came to look at the insurgent's body, the head looked as if it was shattered into pieces. luckily there's no pic of that on the article."
                            Rotten.com has one pic.

IMO, the best sniper rifle around is the Steyr IWS 2000, the gun in my sig.
                            Much more powerful than the M82, more accurate, more effective. And it looks cool.

The SVD is good, but not the best. Cheap, but my $200 rifle is more accurate than that.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                              The SVD is a piece of total junk.

You are entitled to your opinion though, no matter how woefully ignorant and incorrect as it may be.

PSG-1 is the clear winner on that list as an all around total sniper weapons system. It's not even close.
                              I'm was not being woefully ignorant like you are acting right now. I know all that already. I was speaking in terms of cost and more for your dollar. Overall the only difference between the SVD and PSG-1 is that the PSG is heavier and more accurate, which makes it better for all purposes, but it is far from cost effective.
                              Last edited by Insomniac; 03 Nov 05,, 02:22.

Comment

When you depend on someone to be taken out with extreme precision, like killing Binny Laden, you want the best, not the cheapest.

Comment

Working...
                                X