Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Arms in Iraq: What Worked, What Sucked, What a Hoax?

Comment

It kinda seems like a hoax to me.
      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
        It kinda seems like a hoax to me.
        Maybe it's a hoax, but no comments object M-16 and M-4 jamming problems. They even say that those jamming problems existed 39 years ago.

It's funny to compare with the tread about Russian Spetsnaz in Afg. in the same forum... the one that says that they could go days without cleaning the weapon.

Comment

That's because the AK47/74 is a lot more reliable than the M16/M4.
          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
            That's because the AK47/74 is a lot more reliable than the M16/M4.
            Just so you know the M4 is the carbine version of the M16... the AK 74 and AK M's are not carbine versions of the AK 47. The have similiar actions but the rifles themselves are different. Also they have different manufacturing proccesses and updated materials.

I also agree about reliability between AK series compared to early M-16's... mordern m16's have good relaibility from what I've seen though magizine condition and early use of the gun seem to make quite a bit of difference. I've not used either in combat sitituations (thankfully I went chair force the closest I've been to combat is getting rounded up and arested by saudi's once and italians once I just get to play with the toys because we've a nice range where I was stationed.) I'd be partial to the AK in an Urban or close combat conflict or trench warfare in a more open combat I'd prefer the M-16. I also kinda like the accesories that the 15 can get I'm not aware of the same for the ak but from the furnature I don't think they are possible.
            Last edited by Maxor; 20 Nov 05,, 06:56.

Comment

Trust me, I know what an M4 is.

Comment

I've heard that a big reason for spec-ops using .45s is because they need to stay quiet, and the .45 is a great silenced weapon. Also they say they use it because they can actually see the bullet go downrange, which helps with long-range accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by sniperdude411
                  I've heard that a big reason for spec-ops using .45s is because they need to stay quiet, and the .45 is a great silenced weapon. Also they say they use it because they can actually see the bullet go downrange, which helps with long-range accuracy.
                  Come again....about the "they can actually see the bullet go downrange, which helps with long-range accuracy" part.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Under certain ideal circumstances you can see a .45 acp in flight, but it's in no way an aid to effectiveness.

In fact, that's one of the silliest claims i've ever seen....

Comment

I guess what he means is that you can use it to correct your aim, much like tracer ammo. But tracer is just so much more practical... ;)

Comment

A .45 cal weapon is used mainly in CQB situations, and one does not need to see the round to correct his/her aim. He who shoots first and straight lives one may not live to correct his aim in CQB. ;)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Personally, I like grenades alot better than I do my sidearm.

Comment

When I was a fireteam leader, we only trained on grenades ONCE every year, and I thought that was not nearly enough, as the potential to screw up and do your enemies' job for them was WAY too high, if one is unfamiliar with that type of weapon. I urged the Base Engineer Emergency Force (which I was attached to) chain of command to make it at least quarterly, or not to use 'em at all. They saw it my way...and then the base announced it was closing, so we never instituted the extra training days.

But for airbase ground defense, it is NOT RIGHT to train infrequently on something that will likely mean the difference of securing the base, or having it overrun by enemy that DID train hard with grenades.

I hope my beloved Air Force sees it that way and corrects itself. Otherwise, that pistol - of ANY caliber - isn't going to help much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                              When I was a fireteam leader, we only trained on grenades ONCE every year, and I thought that was not nearly enough, as the potential to screw up and do your enemies' job for them was WAY too high, if one is unfamiliar with that type of weapon.
                              A very valid and important point. This is one reason I use to make a special effort with new recruits when they got posted to my company. The new recruits have a unflinching capacity to give you a heart attack at the age of 25. :)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Ever seen the spoon slowly forcing the hand of a new recruit openned?

Comment

Working...
                                X