X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreadnought
    Absolutely,

Damage Control.

USN throughout WWII had damage control down pretty well.

IJN had lost many ships due to poor damage control training and techniques.

Range:

Iowa class ship (New Jersy BB62) a range of 20,150nm at 15kts, or 4830nm at full power.

IJN Yamato (Yamato) a range of 11,500nm @ 16 knots (30km/h)

Im still getting numbers on Yamatos range at full power. (27.5 knots)

*Note: for battle cruising speed for these vessels was nominally 60% of the power plant.

Yamato- 14 tons oil per hour @16 knots solid then we have to configure range and acceleration to attack speeds of 27 knots as well as zig zagging. (IJN was into this practice as well).
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Not an expert, just a fan here.

Risking the lives of a couple thousand sailors vs. a couple dozen pilots just to let two multi-thousand-ton white elepants pound each other to hell...

Doesn't seem like good economics, does it?

Anyway, had the Washington encountered the Yamato... We all know how fast and accurate her fire was. Yes, I know, not as deadly a peice. But the Washington would likely have scored multiple hits on the Japanese ship long before being hit herself.

Like I said, just my opinion. I really admired Adm. Lee.
      sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

At Guadacanal? Washington would have been seriously damaged at the very least
        "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
          At Guadacanal? Washington would have been seriously damaged at the very least
          I would bet that she would have hit the Japanese ship first, and several times. If this had the effect of reducing the accuracy and ROF of the Yamato, then things might have not been all that one-sided. What if it had been the Yamato at Sabo(?spelling?) Island that night? Think the South Dakota & Washington together might have done it?

I'm just guessing, of course, I defer to the true "obsolete, horribly expensive, and ultimate waste of resources weapons systems" experts.

Anyway, I still think BB's are cool, but I just love HUGE guns!
          sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Washington did have much better radars then Yamato. And Washington proved that at night when she chose her targets. Yamato would have eaten South Dakota being damaged she couldnt have gotten away with no power and probably would have been sunk if the IJN got her number. Washington was deadly accurate but I have to question how well she would have taken a beating as well as giving one. IMO she may have taken a few but Yamato would have won toe to toe. If this duel took place at battle speed and while manuvering I would say Washington would stand a better chance at either out running or out gunning but without manuvering I dont think she could stand up to Yamato. It would have been fairer if you replaced Washington with an Iowa class for toe to toe. ;)

Comment

Fact is that those 18.1"/45 of Yamatos were going to make anyone nervous.
              "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                Fact is that those 18.1"/45 of Yamatos were going to make anyone nervous.
                True but another fact the 16"/50 has higher velocity e.g. more penetration then Yamatos' guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                  True but another fact the 16"/50 has higher velocity e.g. more penetration then Yamatos' guns.
                  Only at very long ranges, and its only comparable.

Comment

Working...
                  X