Most Pointless War in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Pointless War in History

My vote goes to WWI. Started by an assasination by a member of a country that hardly participated in the actual fighting, escalated by a domino effect of entries into the war, made terribly bloody by trenches, machine guns and artillery, and ended on conditions that made possible a second, much bloodier war just 21 years later.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

The Soccer War,

The Siachin Conflict

My vote goes to WWI
    Would have happened anyway
    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

All wars.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Any one that I start with my wife. The outcome is already pre-determined
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Shek,

Very true in most cases and not you alone! ;)

In India, I believe someone has started a Society for Bashed up Husbands!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
            My vote goes to WWI.

WWI was bound to happen. There was so much more to it than simply Archduke Franz Ferdinand being gunned down in Sarajevo. The European countries were just circling each other waiting for someone to make a wrong move. As far as its reasonings, it was not a waste. As far as its loss of life, it was ridiculous. The nations had all these new toys to inflict massive casualties, yet they had not updated their strategies to accomodate them. That led to needless death and suffering on a massive scale. The end of WWI with the Brits and French humiliating Germany setup for WWII. They really handled that poorly. France was just ecstatic to finally be on the victors' side and mad about their loss back in the 1870s. Therefore, I would have to agree that WWI was a pointless war only because of how it was fought and how it ended. Had Germany won the war prior to our involvement or had the terms of Versailles been fairer, that nation would have remained stable in the ensuing years. Russia would have emerged as the bigger aggressor in the 1930s and 1940s. I'm probably oversimplifying, but that is how things have seemed to me.

Personally, I'd go for the Children's Crusade. They had a whole mess of kids to be sent to the Holy Land. All the kids who went died when their ships sank or were enslaved.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
              Shek,

Very true in most cases and not you alone! ;)

Sir, is that what they call the nudie bar in India?

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                My vote goes to WWI. Started by an assasination by a member of a country that hardly participated in the actual fighting, escalated by a domino effect of entries into the war, made terribly bloody by trenches, machine guns and artillery, and ended on conditions that made possible a second, much bloodier war just 21 years later.
                WW1 was the war of Empires. Good riddance to empires!

Comment

I'd have to say the Vietnam war. It cost thousands of American lives, millions of Veitnamese, Veitnam turned communist anyway (and in turn was invaded by another communist nation afterwords) and it is used by defeatists, Commie lovers and isolationists to predict just how every other war started by America (no matter how well intentioned) will finish.

Any one that I start with my wife. The outcome is already pre-determined
                  ....well ok...I think this beats everything......I'd rather face of with Genghis Khan than an angry wife!
                  Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                    All wars.
                    My choice too, of an answer to this question.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Whenever I hear feminists talk about "opression" I have to say bullsh*t. :)
                      "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                        Whenever I hear feminists talk about "opression" ...
                        Instead you can tell them this....
                        During courthship - the woman gets the flowers and chocolates.
                        Engagement - The woman again gets the hediously expensive ring.
                        During the wedding - She again gets all the presents.
                        At divorce - she gets the alimony.
                        And when you kick the bucket - she gets all your property.
                        ...and people still call it a "man's world".

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Instead you can tell them this....
                          During courthship - the woman gets the flowers and chocolates.
                          Engagement - The woman again gets the hediously expensive ring.
                          During the wedding - She again gets all the presents.
                          At divorce - she gets the alimony.
                          And when you kick the bucket - she gets all your property.
                          ...and people still call it a "man's world".

Certainly sir.

I was interning at a lawfirm and was assisting on a divorce case. The women (who we were representing) managed to get the house, the car, alimony, the kids (okay I think that is proper) plus 60% of the estate.
                          Last edited by sparten; 05 Oct 05,, 14:18.

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                            ".

Certainly sir.

I was interning at a lawfirm and was assisting on a divorce case. The women (who we were representing) managed to get the house, the car, alimony, the kids (okay I think that is proper) plus 60% of the estate.

Makes you want to do what some dude did here in the UK. Wife was leaving and selling the boat they lived on so he sunk the bastard in the middle of the night.
                            Originally posted by GVChamp
                            College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

The Vietnam war when the French where still in charge. French-Indo China I believe. They got an a$$ kicking.
                              Originally posted by GVChamp
                              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X