Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I <3 my mom. Look at all the books I got.

Hell yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by giggs88
      I <3 my mom. Look at all the books I got.
      Great book! Bought and read it a couple months ago and ironically just started reading it again last night. :)
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
        Just finished Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-Boat Battles of World War II (Herbert Werner). Now I am reading Oil: Anatomy of an Industry (Matthew Yeomans).
        I am re-reading Oil: Anatomy of an Industry (Matthew Yeomans). I have been getting this from the library, but I think that if I can remember to do so, I may look on Amazon and just buy the darn thing. If any of you are even remotely interested in oil/energy, this is pretty good. It starts way back at the beginning with Rockafeller and all the little companies merging and un-merging (?) and then goes into conflicts and results of stupid things people have done. Not too long so it is also a pretty quick read.

A book warehouse was going out of business by me last week so my little one and I went in there and bought quite a bit. One of the books she picked out is called Mouse and Cat: A Delicious Tale. It is rather disturbing. It is about the mouse and cat that are friends and then one day someone gives cat a cookbook and he realizes that mouse would be rather tasty.
        Last edited by THL; 25 Jan 06,, 18:00.
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

• Walter The Farting Dog

Yes, I really am reading tales about a farting dog to my 5 year old.
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

• Gee, I'm not reading about anything so interesting as a farting dog!

Just finished War On The Western Front by Dr Gary Sheffield and am now reading World Without End by Ken Follett.
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• I just finished reading Amazon.com: The Wisdom of Crowds: Books: James Surowiecki.

A great book about how collective knowledge can outperform the smart individual if harnessed correctly. It is written very well, with short spurts of theoretical setup followed by interesting and intriguing anecdotes that illustrate the principle at hand. While it contains a lot of economics, it is focused mostly on behavioral economics, which is a blend of much more than just economics and certainly not on the dull side. I recommend it to anyone who has to work in groups or lead groups.
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Oh how I miss adult books...books where the words do not rhyme and the main characters only have two legs.

Comment

• I was reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest but I havn't found enough time to read it so I gave it back (borrowed it from the library). I am going to start Vortex by Larry Bond, which may sound familiar to sapper.:))

Comment

• I'm back to re-reading "Tales From Margaritaville" - Jimmy Buffett. Needed some fun reading. I think I'm on my third time reading it! Fun way to travel through Jimmy's eyes.
                    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post
                      I was reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest but I havn't found enough time to read it so I gave it back (borrowed it from the library). I am going to start Vortex by Larry Bond, which may sound familiar to sapper.:))
                      Let me know when you get to the raid into Zimbabwe...
                      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• Currently, I am reading a book by Jeffery Deaver, "The Garden of Beasts.", it's all about a Mafia "Button Man" getting contracted by the U.S Government to assassinate a high-ranking Nazi official. It's proving to be an entertaining little read.

I am also reading Halo: Fall of Reach for the second time. Not exactly going to net any literary awards, but it's a good way to zip through a day.

Comment

• 18 Hours by Sandra Lee

It's about Jock Wallace Australian SAS and 18 hours in a battle in Afganistan. Really good book!
                          Originally posted by GVChamp
                          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broken View Post
                            Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan.
                            Although Kaplan is too much an empiro-phile for my tastes, it's a good fast read.
                            This was indeed a good read.

Comment

• going to pick up "kite runner" by khaled hosseni before i watch the movie

Comment

• I recently read "Brutal" by Kevin Weeks. It's an autobiography about life within the Irish mob in Boston during the 70's-90's. Although Weeks is the greatest writer (he was a mob enforcer, not a writing major) the book is really interesting and had pretty decent attention to detail. I would reccomend it to anyone who has any intrest in organized crime or law enforcment. Definitely within my top 10 favorite books of all time.

Comment

Working...
                                X