Freakin' "laser" beams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freakin' "laser" beams

Just so you guys don't think ALL I do is talk sh*t :)

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/cda/ar...709759,00.html
    In Bob Yamamoto's lab, light devours.

He straps on emerald green goggles. A technician stabs a fire button and calls out the computer countdown. "Three ... two ... one ..."

Then ... nothing. Just a buzz of electronics and an ephemeral glow in this darkened room at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory. But inside Yamamato's target chamber, a block of steel spits flame and molten metal.

In those two seconds, 400 blasts of light poured into slabs of clear, manmade garnet. Swollen in energy, the crystal's atoms then unleashed torrents of infrared light to ricochet 1,000 times between two mirrors and multiply, finally escaping as 400 pulses of pure, square beam.

Kilowatt for kilogram, this is

the world's most powerful solid-state laser. Its invisible beam drilled Yamamoto's inch-thick steel plate in two seconds. Add larger crystals and it will eat steel a mile or more away.

"What we're building," Yamamoto explains, "is a laser weapon."

After sinking 40 years and billions of dollars into beam weapons, defense scientists are on the cusp of what could be a military revolution -- warfare at the speed of light.

"We've made a quantum leap here," said Randy Buff, solid-state laser program manager for the U.S. Army's Space and Missile Defense Command. "We're anxious to get out there and do something."

No longer are laser guns the stuff of Hollywood and Strategic Defense Initiative fantasy. Instead of laser-guiding bullets and "smart" bombs, the Pentagon inside of a decade could be armed with a beam weapon that is near-instantaneous, gravity-free and truly surgical, focusing to such hair-splitting accuracy that it could avoid civilians while predetonating munitions miles away.
    Theres a lot more in the Article. I doubt we'll be seeing any phasers or blaster pistols in the next few years though.
    Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

When my dad worked at Heat'N'Glo (gas fireplace manufacturer) he worked on an industrial laser used to cut sheet metal.

Needless to say, if you waved, for example, your arm through it, it would cut it clean off.

Basically all that needs to be done to weaponize lasers is minituarize the technology (as has been done with computers over the last 5 decades).

I believe that an industrial laser could be outfitted on a tank and be an awesome weapon (as in full of awe, not necessarily cool :) ). The only question would be if the tank's alternator could supply enough juice to use it, I'd surmise it probably could.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

An M-1's turbine could easily provide the neccesary power for a laser, and the current ammunition stowage bay could also easily hold the neccesary electronics.

I think they're closer than most of us realize. The USAF ABL supposedly works now, let alone 10 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        An M-1's turbine could easily provide the neccesary power for a laser, and the current ammunition stowage bay could also easily hold the neccesary electronics.

I think they're closer than most of us realize. The USAF ABL supposedly works now, let alone 10 years from now.
        Ah, a turbine, not an alternator. My bad. :)

The only thing to do then would be to make the laser system rugged enough to survive in a tank. Tons of vibrations, firing the big gun, etc.

Comment

Well just to clarify I meant Hand phasers and hand blasters :P :D
          Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger
            Well just to clarify I meant Hand phasers and hand blasters :P :D
            When the technology is minatuarized enough and a compact high power source could be made, yeah, it would be a real possiblity.

Imagine battery packs replacing magazines, and soldiers plugging them into something akin to a current battery adapter in the barracks to charge them back up :D

Comment

I figure the laser will replace the main gun in tanks....eventually.

Either lasers, or rail guns.

Comment

Interesting article about anti-missile laser cannons:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...=&threadid=889

Comment

The ABL and the MTHEL are Chemical Lasers which means they have to carry large ammounts of chemicals around. You need solid state lasers if you want to run it off batteries powered by the turbine.

I figure the laser will replace the main gun in tanks....eventually.

Either lasers, or rail guns.
                  Lasers are not going to replace main guns, EM Guns will. Lasers can get interupted by fog and of course other dust in the battlefield on top of that if it did penetrtate a tank it wouldn't do anything to the crew inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                    The ABL and the MTHEL are Chemical Lasers which means they have to carry large ammounts of chemicals around. You need solid state lasers if you want to run it off batteries powered by the turbine.

Lasers are not going to replace main guns, EM Guns will. Lasers can get interupted by fog and of course other dust in the battlefield on top of that if it did penetrtate a tank it wouldn't do anything to the crew inside.
                    If the laser hit the fuel tank, cannon rounds, or a crew member it would.

Comment

When the laser burned through the armor there would be a tremendous amount of IR heat radiation transfered to the internals of the vehicle.

You would not want to be in there when that happened.

I know the difference btw solid-state and Chem lasers. ;)

We also need to remember that in 10 years lasers will be a WHOLE lot more powerful than they are now- so the obscurity issues will be much less severe.

Comment

A multi-megawatt laser which is what the GIGANTIC ABL is, would take up to 10 seconds at least to burn through the armour on a Main Battle Tank. A rail gun would be far more effective. You could send a DU round(encased in steel or some other conductive metal) well over 10 times the speed we can with conventional munitions. You could fire them rapidly, on top of this you could carry probley 50 times as many rounds as you can now.

They only have Solid State lasers in the 500 kilowatt range, you would have to make rediculusly powerful lasers to be effective against tanks.

Using them in Aircraft, well that would revolutionize air warfare. Missiles would be obsolite, because they could be shot down with no problems.

Comment

People People People.

you have to realise.

That even if you create this "laser" tank. There will be ways of stopping it. There is no weapon that can not be stopped.

When you create fortifications, you inspire new methods of getting around it.

Plus, whats the use with laser guns anyway? dont we all have fun with our regular guns?

Comment

Funny, cause i just said the EXACT same thing to Horrido today when he made the comment "Once laser CIWS is in sercvice our ships will be impervious to all but torpedos).

Someone will find a workaround. There is always a workaround.

Comment

But will it dominate?

The musket was an improvement over the bow, not because it was superior but because it is easier to use. A skilled bowman would make mincemeat over the best musketeer in the days of old.

However, the sheer volume of people who don't need to train as much and to deliver volume fire is what gave the muskets its edge and eventual development.

Today, no one is giving the best bowman any chance against a novice with an AK47.

Comment

Working...
                              X