Greatest Western empire in history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M21Sniper
    Not really. The US nuclear arsenal and industrial might ensure our continuing hegemony.

None of the other empires had thousands of nuclear weapons.
    Russia still possesses more nuclear weapons than the United States.

Comment

Empire

Sir!
      I would respectfully submit that there have been only two
      GREAT empires.
      Rome then British.
      Sir.
      Yes sir, very much so sir. Obviously insane.

Comment

In terms of size I would say the British Empire, then the Mongol.

Comment

Mongols

Sir!
          If I may be so bold as to point out that the Mongol Empire
          was an Eastern Empire. If we are using the globe then I would
          stump for the Chinese.
          Sir.
          Yes sir, very much so sir. Obviously insane.

Comment

Definitely roman empire..

History Forum Simaqian Studio is an online community for world history discussion

Comment

Originally posted by Captain C
              It's funny how we always judge world domination from a western viewpoint. India was quite large herself and Russia held onto a large portion of the world for a long time, still do actually....
              All those empires are great!!

however, i feel the British Empire had the most impact

even though 'Western' idealogy was brought about during the Roman empire, im going to say British Empire because under its UNION JACK, it conquered alot of places in the world, and most of those place such as:

Australia, Canada, USA, Bahamas, New Zealand, South AFrica ( USed to ), are first world nations

hope you catch my drift, anywhere that used to be under the union jack is mainly safe.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaForce
                All those empires are great!!

however, i feel the British Empire had the most impact

even though 'Western' idealogy was brought about during the Roman empire, im going to say British Empire because under its UNION JACK, it conquered alot of places in the world, and most of those place such as:

Australia, Canada, USA, Bahamas, New Zealand, South AFrica ( USed to ), are first world nations

hope you catch my drift, anywhere that used to be under the union jack is mainly safe.

Jesus Christ, how can someone argue about superiority of something without the standards for comparisson?

Russian Empire? The largest in the world. Dont forget it had Alaska, and Colonies in California not to mention the whole Eurasia, Most of Europe and some of Asia. Look at the map of Soviet Union, all those people speak Russian. It is a lot harder to make smaller group of people spread out over a huge area to speak the language than it is to make a big herd on one farm.
                Somebody mentioned not very technologicaly advanced in middle ages? Most of Europe was partially supplied by Russian cannons. Tula was the most famous and respected gun smithing city of Europe. San Petersburg a center of culture and art. Never defeated by any army throught its history. Vast amount of science contributions. Oh, who spread the communism around the world? Hah, talking aobut influences. The list goes on and on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by berkut
                  Jesus Christ, how can someone argue about superiority of something without the standards for comparisson?

Russian Empire? The largest in the world. Dont forget it had Alaska, and Colonies in California not to mention the whole Eurasia, Most of Europe and some of Asia. Look at the map of Soviet Union, all those people speak Russian. It is a lot harder to make smaller group of people spread out over a huge area to speak the language than it is to make a big herd on one farm.
                  Somebody mentioned not very technologicaly advanced in middle ages? Most of Europe was partially supplied by Russian cannons. Tula was the most famous and respected gun smithing city of Europe. San Petersburg a center of culture and art. Never defeated by any army throught its history. Vast amount of science contributions. Oh, who spread the communism around the world? Hah, talking aobut influences. The list goes on and on and on.
                  And no offense to Russians in particular, but any influence once exerted by Russia is waning.

As a result of nationalist uprisings, 14 republics seceded from the Soviet Union and became independent. Communism was shown to be a failure and is thoroughly discredited. Former Warsaw Pact allies look westward, and to date 3 former Soviet republics have joined the EU and NATO, 5 former Communist bloc nations in Eastern Europe have joined the EU, and 7 have joined NATO. The US has military bases in former Soviet republics in Central Asia.

Children in these nations aren't learning Russian as a second language -- they're learning English.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Irondüke
                    And no offense to Russians in particular, but any influence once exerted by Russia is waning.

As a result of nationalist uprisings, 14 republics seceded from the Soviet Union and became independent. Communism was shown to be a failure and is thoroughly discredited. Former Warsaw Pact allies look westward, and to date 3 former Soviet republics have joined the EU and NATO, 5 former Communist bloc nations in Eastern Europe have joined the EU, and 7 have joined NATO. The US has military bases in former Soviet republics in Central Asia.

Children in these nations aren't learning Russian as a second language -- they're learning English.
                    Well, yes, I am aware of that, but the stone did cause some major ripples so to speak.

Comment

Can we define Western? Is Russia / Soviet western?
                      at

Comment

I voted for Romans, about 50% of the whole world population was living then in borders of their empire.
                        Noone else was even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
                          Can we define Western? Is Russia / Soviet western?
                          Depends, everything's relative. Are Poland, Slovenia, Czechoslovakia European? Russians are definitely Europeans, Slavic Europeans. To a Frenchman, Russians are from the east, therefore probably Eastern relative to France, but I'm sure Frenchmen wouldn't consider Russians Eastern in the same sense as they would consider the Chinese or Malays. I guess it depends on an individual's perspective.

Comment

I couldn't vote, but I would've voted for the Roman Empire. I don't think anything this great, as in highly developed, and civilized has ever existed after the fall of it. (With a possible exception of Alexander the Great's empire, which was greatly inspired by the Ancient Greeks and Romans.) So much attention for (true) art and culture, yet quite tolerant which is quite extraordinary. I mean, thanks to the Romans the Europeans became Christians. I'm not saying wheter that's great or not, it's just very interesting because most empires lay/have laid their religion and culture upon others.

My second choice would be the Byzantine Empire and the Ancient Greek Empire on the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                              In terms of size I would say the British Empire, then the Mongol.
                              If you are talking about physical size, the Mongol Empire at it's maximum was 14 million square miles, almost twice as big as the Soviet Union at its height.

Comment

(With a possible exception of Alexander the Great's empire, which was greatly inspired by the Ancient Greeks and Romans.)
                                Well, the Romans were certainly inspired by Alexander's empire. Rome was still just a little-known city-state in the Italian peninsula when Alexander conquered his empire.

Comment

Working...
                                X