Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire on the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Meaning you either pay for massive amounts of overhead for the amout of work actually performed or you have to accept massive risk to get the work done.
    Yes, ala the Ford Class aircraft carrier, LCS, F35, __________, ___________, etc.
    Fill in the blanks with any number of projects.

Comment

Are you referring to me with regards to nationalization?

I made nothing to that effect.

All those companies mentioned in those mobilization plans received contracts for their work.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Are you referring to me with regards to nationalization?

I made nothing to that effect.

All those companies mentioned in those mobilization plans received contracts for their work.
        Not you. Somebody posted this article earlier. https://www.defenseone.com/business/...f-says/166894/
        Further of the article, I think there are ways to bring other companies into the fray. The F35 began as a competition between Lockheed/Martin and Boeing, with Lockheed Martin eventually winning out. I guess we've bought around 500 from them. How do you allocate procurement across various companies that incorporate the single design input of only one of them? The Navy does that to some extent with small surface combatants but it doesn't really seem to make procurement less expensive or more efficient.
        I think my reference to your statement is largely in agreement.
        Last edited by thebard; 15 Jul 20,, 17:19.

Comment

When I was working on my Acquisition Logistician Level 3 certification through the Defense Acquisition UNiversity I took a class on the subject of diminishing manufacturing sources.

If interested here is a 60 page document on the topic: https://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Docu...NAL_151030.PDF

After the abject failure of the Army and industry to provide for US Forces in WW 1, the Army developed the Army Industrial College. It's purpose was to annually bring Army officers and industry leaders together for a year and determine what industry could produce in case of mobilization. Every year the class produced a mobilization plan...each class updated the previous work.

That is how the Army knew Singer could produce 1.5 million .45 calibers. Smith & Corona made M1919 .30 cal machine guns. Boatyards in the Great Lakes and along the MIssissippi watershed made seagoing vessels. All were in the book.

That is long gone, I'm afraid.
          I will admit that I have not read this article on DMSMS... yet. But it looks interesting and I'll get to it.
          This article from the USAHEC seems to be a great follow on.

Historical Services Division. "‘A Little-Known Bill of Great National Significance’: The Uses and Evolution of the Defense Production Act, 1950-2020.” (Carlisle Barracks, PA: US Army Heritage and Education Center, 2020).

https://ahec.armywarcollege.edu/docu..._1950-2020.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by thebard View Post
            Not you. Somebody posted this article earlier. https://www.defenseone.com/business/...f-says/166894/
            Further of the article, I think there are ways to bring other companies into the fray. The F35 began as a competition between Lockheed/Martin and Boeing, with Lockheed Martin eventually winning out. I guess we've bought around 500 from them. How do you allocate procurement across various companies that incorporate the single design input of only one of them? The Navy does that to some extent with small surface combatants but it doesn't really seem to make procurement less expensive or more efficient.
            I think my reference to your statement is largely in agreement.
            Got it. As the government, all we can do is incentivize a vendor to share the wealth. But in reality the F-35 program already does that....across 47 states and most of the Allies who are buying them (except we seem to be shifting away from Turkey...I think to Italy...for some parts). But much of that has been a policy by the company to share the wealth across many Congressional Districts to make it harder to kill. BTBH, while the F-35 program had major issues early on it appears on glide path. Recommend we talk more on that thread if interested.

Originally posted by looking4NSFS View Post
            I will admit that I have not read this article on DMSMS... yet. But it looks interesting and I'll get to it.
            This article from the USAHEC seems to be a great follow on.

Historical Services Division. "‘A Little-Known Bill of Great National Significance’: The Uses and Evolution of the Defense Production Act, 1950-2020.” (Carlisle Barracks, PA: US Army Heritage and Education Center, 2020).

https://ahec.armywarcollege.edu/docu..._1950-2020.pdf
            It can be an eye opening....and stomach acid inducing...subject.

I have mostly worked with software systems (shoot me) so I live with this all the time. Microsoft makes a Windows upgrade and now my laptop computers no longer work with the hand held scanners because Microsoft wants you to use their operating system on the handhelds...which can't run the software because they are so old. My specialty is actually materiel fielding of new systems...and I am currently on 32 year old system. Why? Because 3 years ago we finally went to a web based system and I had to move to an enterprise environment. DMSMS is daily occurrence for me.

And that was a great article!!!
            Mark Twain

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	List.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1479153
              She shifted at the moorings this morning.
              I noticed the colors flying at the stern a few days ago, it looks like they have abandoned raising/lowering since it's flying at night.

Comment

Inside shots
                Attached Files

Comment

Two more
                  Attached Files

Comment

I immediately thought of photos of the Franklin after it got hit in World War 2 when I see this pictures.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

I immediately thought of photos of the Franklin after it got hit in World War 2 when I see this pictures.
                      Many don't realize that a ship like this could have all aviation fuel, oils, solvents, munitions and the like removed and the ship is still very flammable. The Hornet has asbestos tile on the decks but that is possibly long gone and there is tile everywhere. Bulkheads may have two-three layers of paint. There are drop down ceilings with acoustical panels all over along with wood paneling to make spaces cozy. Those spaces then have couches and chairs with synthetic surfaces over foam. Some spaces will have carpet. Plastics are present. Every metal filing cabinet is filled with tons of paper. When I walked the Ranger the only thing missing was seating and paper along with the items in my first sentence and still you could see things all over the Ranger that could burn. If a deactivated carrier up at Bremerton ever caught fire they would never get it out till it burned itself out since they are stored on the private side and I saw very little in the way of any emergency vehicles.

Comment

The fire is reported to be out.
                        https://news.usni.org/2020/07/16/uss...and-resilience

Comment

A video from better times.
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g63UWBnxbzg

Comment

Article hits many subjects. From the implications of future operations that will now have to be covered by other assets. How this will impact maintenance and readiness of assets now tasked to cover for the missing asset. Future fleet design (as part of the overhaul was to prepare for deploying F-35Bs) What does this incident say about Navy culture, leadership, systemic failure?

https://warontherocks.com/2020/07/mo...d-catastrophe/

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              Many don't realize that a ship like this could have all aviation fuel, oils, solvents, munitions and the like removed and the ship is still very flammable. The Hornet has asbestos tile on the decks but that is possibly long gone and there is tile everywhere. Bulkheads may have two-three layers of paint. There are drop down ceilings with acoustical panels all over along with wood paneling to make spaces cozy. Those spaces then have couches and chairs with synthetic surfaces over foam. Some spaces will have carpet. Plastics are present. Every metal filing cabinet is filled with tons of paper. When I walked the Ranger the only thing missing was seating and paper along with the items in my first sentence and still you could see things all over the Ranger that could burn. If a deactivated carrier up at Bremerton ever caught fire they would never get it out till it burned itself out since they are stored on the private side and I saw very little in the way of any emergency vehicles.
                              From a friend who used to be aboard her....all kinds of hydraulic lines run through that space. No doubt those went up.

My Dad told stories from WW 2 aboard his carrier in 1944-45 that paint was continuously chipped off as a fire hazard.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Maybe there will be a design study to see if what left of BHR may be converted into an auxiliary such as a command ship, ESB or a sub tender?

Comment

Working...
                                X