Trump's 4th Of July Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still have nightmares
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• ... i remember squat toilets - from France. They were literally the default. And that definitely wasn't 25 years ago.

Comment

• First one I ever saw was in Paris in 1993.

Comment

• First I saw was in the Philippines in 1990. The hotel had standard toilets but one day I got a case of the runs after I entered a restaurant with a friend on my first trip. I needed to use one fast and went into this filthy CR with a squat toilet that I had no intention to use. I promptly left the restaurant, hopped into a taxi, took a very quick 15 minute ride back to my hotel room. The next time was when I went to Puerto Galera, Mindoro, in 1993, for diving and most places had squat toilets with a shower head just in front of it. Never got used to balancing over those things.

As to Kato I spent three months in Europe, back in 1976, and didn't see a squat toilet once.

Comment

• Squatting is the universal normal default human way of doing that business. Sitting down on something is an innovation that has only become increasingly common in modern times.

I think even in the West the practice of sitting was only common among people of means until relatively recently. I don't imagine most people could afford a chair, or any furnishings at all, much less anything that could be fashioned into a sit toilet.

Once people are able to afford to purchase something like a chair, which we take for granted, it's not that big of a leap for someone to put a hole in the chair, and place a pot underneath it.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              Really? Why is that?
              I don't get the connection either. We aren't going around installing those plastic portable toilets that can be set alight. This would be a terrible idea as burning public property comes naturally when people are upset with said government. Even in France apparently.
              Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Jul 19,, 09:02.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                Squatting is the universal normal default human way of doing that business. Sitting down on something is an innovation that has only become increasingly common in modern times.

I think even in the West the practice of sitting was only common among people of means until relatively recently. I don't imagine most people could afford a chair, or any furnishings at all, much less anything that could be fashioned into a sit toilet.

Once people are able to afford to purchase something like a chair, which we take for granted, it's not that big of a leap for someone to put a hole in the chair, and place a pot underneath it.
                Once had a prospective tenant that liked the appt but wanted to changed the toilets to squat because he felt it was more healthy that way. Told him to look for another apartment.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Jul 19,, 09:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                  Rather common across Asia and Africa. Good thing to as they tend to be filthy to a point where you do not want to touch anything.
                  Can't get herpes from the toilet seat. There isn't one : )

When we got a live in we had to build one out doors as they refused to use the regular ones in the house. Didn't feel right.

We found out when one refused to work earlier.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Jul 19,, 09:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                    ... i remember squat toilets - from France. They were literally the default. And that definitely wasn't 25 years ago.
                    Never saw a single one when i lived there. This was Lyon.

I suppose areas with more Arabs might have them. But there is usually a choice even in the ME.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                      First one I ever saw was in Paris in 1993.
                      Same here, but it was 1980. Quite confronting for a young kid who didn't know such things existed. Unfortunately I had no choice.

They are quite common in Sth East Asia, though I have mostly seen them in older & cheaper hotels & buildings. After making the mistake of booking a room with one in Malaysia I made a point of examining the room before committing thereafter. I had to use one in a roadside cafe in Ethiopia - not sure I will ever be able to scrub that memory from my brain. UGH!
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        Never saw a single one when i lived there. This was Lyon.
                        I suppose areas with more Arabs might have them. But there is usually a choice even in the ME.
                        You'll mostly find the "toilettes à la turque" at rest stops on the highways nowadays.

Back in the 90s the joke was still "how to recognize you passed the border to France" - by the squat toilets.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                          You'll mostly find the "toilettes à la turque" at rest stops on the highways nowadays.

Back in the 90s the joke was still "how to recognize you passed the border to France" - by the squat toilets.
                          Wow, how times change

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Once had a prospective tenant that liked the appt but wanted to changed the toilets to squat because he felt it was more healthy that way. Told him to look for another apartment.
                            It is more healthy to squat. It straightens out the entire lower "plumbing" and allows for the easiest evacuation in the healthiest way. There are certain illnesses that are associated with a lifetime of using sit toilets that are practically unknown among those who squat.

If you think about it, humans and our ancestral species squatted for millions of years. Sitting only became common in small parts of the world in perhaps the 1800s, and has continued to become progressively more common worldwide since the 1900s.

The portion of mankind today that sits experiences hemorrhoids and other chronic lower gastrointestinal tract illnesses at an extraordinarily high rate. Using a sit toilet is a lifestyle choice, and these are lifestyle diseases. I imagine most sit toilet users don't even realize it's a lifestyle choice, and are unaware that sitting is an unnatural modern innovation.
                            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• The Colonel will make his way here in sometime and order us all to dig latrines. Ya'll ready for that?
                              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                                Sitting only became common in small parts of the world in perhaps the 1800s, and has continued to become progressively more common worldwide since the 1900s.
                                The Romans - and Chinese, south of the Yangtze - were sitting 2000 years ago, the Minoans and Indus Valley Civilization 3000 years ago, the Egyptians 4000 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X