No announcement yet.

For Pakistan, terrorism is a state-sponsored business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For selling N-secrets, Pakistan jails Lt Gen for life, will hang Brigadier, scientist

It's reassuring to know that US is keeping tabs on Paks nuke arsenal.

Death of Zakir Musa has curbed militant mobilisation in Kashmir Valley, says J&K DGP Dilbag Singh

Who do Jihadis have unattractive names? Musa reminds me of a Hyena in a cartoon. Don't know if it exists though.
    Last edited by Oracle; 05 Jun 19,, 04:07.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      ^ Why are you so impatient? Never been thorough Indian red-tape? Let's sit back and enjoy a bottle of Laopani (rice beer, best quality is made from red sticky rice, YUM), and let the F Pakistani scum rot in a french prison. India will interrogate him, and we'll read about that in the media.
      Time is of the essence. If there are Indian IS operators that slipped under the radar we might have a bad surprise. Already seen what they're capable of in Sri Lanka.

I don't know where the red tape is, France or India. I was given the impression we were waiting for a green light from the French. It is possible that the Indians shelved it for after the elections but that seems a bit unlikely. It does not take ages to interview the guy and the people interviewing aren't standing for elections.

Oh! they might even have already done it and are not giving the game away. Then why mention we are going to interview him. Are they watching for reactions and then track them ? many possibilities.

One more thing, you mentioned in some post about abolition of Articles related to Kashmir. Am I supposed to think your views have changed, politically?
      I don't understand why you said this. Years back i pointed out that ethnic cleansing of the Pandits topped any riots that we've had. A quarter of a million people made to leave their homes because they were a minority !?! it boggles the mind how this could even happen but shows we were taken completely by surprise.

We can't turn the clock back but reintegrating J&K into the union is long past due.

I expect 35A to fall but 370 requires 2/3 majority in both houses. The BJP isn't expected to get a majority in the upper house until next year. If you see my posts in 2014 there is some legal procedure involved here. Question is how does the centre want to play it. There is a lot of rhetoric on this subject that makes it seem easier than it will be in reality.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 05 Jun 19,, 19:54.

Comment

For selling N-secrets, Pakistan jails Lt Gen for life, will hang Brigadier, scientist

It's reassuring to know that US is keeping tabs on Paks nuke arsenal.
        The Lt. gen was a former DGMO during the Raymond Davis affair. How the heck did the Americans turn him for money ? Pak officer salaries are much better than Indian and this guy surely has no need for money. There is more going on here that is major ie treason of the highest order that has not been revealed.

Death of Zakir Musa has curbed militant mobilisation in Kashmir Valley, says J&K DGP Dilbag Singh

Who do Jihadis have unattractive names? Musa reminds me of a Hyena in a cartoon. Don't know if it exists though.
        Musa, a fairly common name means Moses in Arabic.

Looks like the miitants have low morale.

In the past five months, security forces have on an average killed 20 militants in the Valley. There have been a total of 45 gunfights since the beginning of this year and 101 militants (including 25 foreigners and 76 local militants) have been killed. During this period, 59 members of armed forces personnel have also lost their lives in combat operations.
        You see the conversion ratio. It's 1:2, extremely damn high. That has been the case ever since Operation All Out started. It means for every encounter with two militants they will lose at least one guy. This is incredible bravery.

"We are very conscious with our efforts, even when people continue to throng the encounter sites," Singh said, "While we carry out the law and order component, we have been telling people to maintain restrain. We avoid unnecessary reactions wherever we think people may get affected."

In Kulgam, he said, the forces had to recently withdraw because people carried the militants and saved them. "We didn’t want collateral damage," he said.

"We are people-friendly. In some cases we have to use pellet guns because people go to extremes. It happens, but it's very rare," he said.
        In one of the talks i was listening to a former corps commander wondered why we weren't going after these people with Apaches. This house to house to keep collateral damage down is insane. We must be the most humane insurgent fighters in the world.

But since these anti-militancy operations repeatedly impose internet blockades in Kashmir, the masses often decry the "online hostage" situation.

"It's an operational compulsion," Singh said, "Issues like mob mobilisation, fake news, spreading message across the borders and fake videos being uploaded can be dealt with through a clampdown on the internet alone. It's a standard operation to maintain law and order. We have seen how an internet shutdown helps to maintain law and order. And since we don't have any other alternative yet, this will continue for some time."
        Now you know why they shut down internet when you had that communal situation in Assam. Not too bad, only two shutdowns since 2018.

https://internetshutdowns.in/

Kashmir leads but i'm surprised to find Rajasthan is second.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 05 Jun 19,, 21:14.

Comment

• Prime Minister Imran appreciates military's 'voluntary' cuts in defence expenditures | Dawn | Jun 05 2019

Let's see if there will be any noticeable differences in attacks in either India or Afghanistan ; )

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            Prime Minister Imran appreciates military's 'voluntary' cuts in defence expenditures | Dawn | Jun 05 2019

Let's see if there will be any noticeable differences in attacks in either India or Afghanistan ; )
            Breeding illiterate, islamic snakes doesn't cost much money. Terror factory comes cheap for the Pak Army. The Fauji Foundation got their own money to spend for that, which is more than USD 20 Billion each year. Without dismantling the Pak Army, wishing for peace or a reduction in attacks is unwise. And we all know what it would take to dismantle the terrorist army.
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Pakistan: Playing at peace and making war
              Despite global pressure to do so, Pakistan is not likely to actually jettison its jihadi architecture, writes Tilak Devasher

Pakistan finds itself trapped between a rock and a hard place. Left to its own devices, its preferred option for dealing with India would still likely be to continue the policy of using state-sponsored terrorists to 'soften' India. This, in Pakistan's calculations, would force India to come to the negotiating table in a weakened position. So what explains the change of approach, the new desperation to seek dialogue?

In the run-up to the just-concluded Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan premier Imran Khan reached out to his Indian counterpart at least three times in the space of a couple of weeks after the BJP's electoral victory-first in a tweet, then a phone call and finally, on June 7, a letter. The letter renewed Pakistan's offer to hold a dialogue to resolve contentious issues, including J&K and terrorism. The Pakistan foreign minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, has also written a letter to India's new foreign minister, S. Jaishankar, conveying much the same. The Pakistan Foreign Office spokesman reiterated that Islamabad was ready to hold fresh talks with New Delhi "if India is ready to do so".

The sober reality of Pakistan's new tack is that it feels constrained to re-engage with India for at least three reasons. There is pressure from the US, with the White House spokesman making it clear that the onus for sustained peace in South Asia is on Pakistan, and it must put the terror groups out of business. PTI quoted a US official as stating: "The United States is looking for sustained and irreversible steps that shut down their operations."

Meanwhile, the Asia-Pacific Joint Group (APG) of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), in a meeting held in China in May 2019, identified several weak points in Pakistan's anti-money laundering/ terror financing architecture and practices where further improvements were required. Of 27 action points, the FATF reported as many as 18 being incomplete and demanded actionable steps against eight proscribed outfits including the Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and the Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD). An overall reassessment is due by September 2019, by which time Pakistan needs to demonstrate compliance or risk being put on the FATF 'blacklist'.

Finally, Pakistan's economy is in dire straits. According to its Economic Survey, released on June 10, GDP growth in 2018-19 slowed to 3.3 per cent against a projected 6.2 per cent and the previous year's 5.5 per cent; industrial growth was down to 1.4 per cent against a targeted 7.6 per cent and 4.9 per cent in 2017-18. A widening fiscal deficit, massive revenue collection shortfalls and the depreciation of the Pakistan rupee by nearly 45 per cent since December 2017 have led to inflationary pressures and an increase in the country's debt-servicing cost. A further glaring sign of the economic downturn is that defence expenditure during the next fiscal year is slated to remain unchanged.

Despite all these pressures and impending action at the FATF meeting due next week (June 16-21), in Orlando, US, Pakistan is unlikely to actually jettison the jihadi architecture it has created over decades. As in the past, it will take a few cosmetic steps, like stopping Hafiz Saeed from leading the Eid prayers in Lahore, prosecuting a few minor functionaries, and making a show of taking over some madrasas and charities of the jihadi organisations. But as soon as the international community seems reassured, it will return to business as usual. Pakistan will probably wager that the FATF will not go the distance and put it on the 'blacklist'. After all, it requires only three countries out of 36 to block such a move.

Tilak Devasher is the author of Pakistan: Courting the Abyss and Pakistan: At the Helm. He is Member, National Security Advisory Board (NSAB)

Comment

• Anantnag attack: 5 CRPF jawans, 1 terrorist killed; Al Umar Mujahideen claims responsibility

Al Umar Mujahideen. Name change, tactics same. Doesn't even matter to them that they have to run their country through use of begging bowls.

Jammu & Kashmir: 4 Newly-recruited Militants Trying to Cross Over to Pakistan Held From LoC

Maoists using Pakistan army gun in Chhattisgarh

Pakistan Army and ISI' smuggling network needs to be broken. There are 3 porous borders that need to be sealed and monitored 24x7 with immediate effect - Pakistan, Nepal & Bangladesh.

Opinion | Imran needs a change in strategy and new pair of spectacles to read Modi’s India

If wishes were horses.

Haryana mosque funding (Terror funds sent by Falah-e-Insaniyat Foundation (FIF), Pakistan): NIA arrests Gujarat man
                Last edited by Oracle; 15 Jun 19,, 16:23.

Comment

Pakistan: Playing at peace and making war
                  Despite global pressure to do so, Pakistan is not likely to actually jettison its jihadi architecture, writes Tilak Devasher
                  An overall reassessment is due by September 2019, by which time Pakistan needs to demonstrate compliance or risk being put on the FATF 'blacklist'.
                  Looks like the deadline has been pushed back to Sept now.

Comment

• Rattled by India`s strong stand, ISI creating new separatist group with LeT members in J&K

Jammu & Kashmir: Two Terrorists Linked to Lashkar-e-Taiba Killed in Encounter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ouch.png
Views:	1
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1478110
                    Ouch!
                    Last edited by Oracle; 15 Jun 19,, 18:54.

Comment

• A number of prominent leaders of separatist groups here have been put behind bars which have had an adverse impact on terrorist activities.
                      Which prominent leaders of separatist groups have been put behind bars ? all the NIA has done has list their properties but attached nothing. Their cases have yet to go on trial.

In fact for all the rhetoric i've heard from this govt. It's true they go after militants hammer and tongs but it stops there. The over ground infrastructure isn't being touched. I heard from a Kashmiri activist on LSTV back in March.

Comment

• 6 in Pak proper, 8 in PO J&K

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          Which prominent leaders of separatist groups have been put behind bars ? all the NIA has done has list their properties but attached nothing. Their cases have yet to go on trial.
                          That's the beginning of a wider crackdown. For a water-tight case, proof should be solid. It's not like those abduls write their terrorism memoirs in a diary, and even if they maintain a dairy that won't solve the larger issue. To nail someone, say a separatist A, there should be proof of his links with separatist B & C, terrorists D/E/F, money launderers from Pakistan G/H, intercepts of calls from Pakistan with person of interest I.

Terror funding case: Three Kashmiri separatists arrested, sent to 10-day NIA custody

As far as I know, Asiya Andrabi is still in jail. JKLF's Yasin Malik is in jail too, his wife is scared he might be killed. This, this fear is what is needed in the first place for these anti-national pigs. They should be lodged in jails outside Kashmir, and other inmates should gang-up on them. 72 virgins in the afterlife? How about 72 d!cks in this life itself, every night till they remain in jail. Shabbir Shah is also in jail IIRC.

MHA pressure led to separatist leader Masrat Alam’s arrest

Jamaat-e-Islami JK leaders detained, properties sealed; politicos, separatists in Valley condemn Centre's ban

Anyone who talks about freedom or separation is on the Pakistan Army's payroll. First the arrests, then raids and searches for incriminating evidence, first class police treatment, then comes the bargaining or the bargaining to become a double agent. This is a long drawn game. The IB turned many Kashmiri Abduls in the 90s, who then started working for the Indian Government. This is what is needed. Use surrendered terrorists to fight the terrorists. Kind of a like a village defense unit.

India is a democracy. We cannot arrest people and seize their properties when we want. There should be evidence, or the case will be thrown out of court. Good thing takes time.

Syed Ali Shah Geelani's Delhi Home Seized Over Alleged Tax Evasion

In fact for all the rhetoric i've heard from this govt. It's true they go after militants hammer and tongs but it stops there. The over ground infrastructure isn't being touched. I heard from a Kashmiri activist on LSTV back in March.
                          What do you mean by over ground infrastructure? Apple orchards? Spies? Smugglers?
                          If you mean ability to nab those OGWs, then you have to understand the subtle difference. Some of those OGWs are threatened to help Pakistani terrorists. Some join for the greater ummah cause. IB tracks them all. Arrest one, and the case gets cold. These are gun runners/smugglers etc, arresting them is unwise. But yeah, when the time comes some are arrested, those among them who're useless or on the path of becoming a terrorist are eliminated.

Seven Hizbul OGWs arrested from Sopore in Kashmir

Btw, my thinking is the same as yours when it comes to getting results. Should be quick. I am 180 degrees compared to you when it comes to Pakistan. I want Pakistan to be pre-emptively attacked and broken down. But that's just me. And that's not the way how things work.
                          Last edited by Oracle; 16 Jun 19,, 05:31.

Comment

• 2 ISIS men nabbed in 2018 were in touch with Pakistani recruiter

Even if Pakistan is pushed into the FATF blacklist, terrorism would continue. Pakistani Army's cause for terrorism in India is religious & strategic, they generate the money for it from their domestic Jihadi market, and can sustain it till eternity OR till the Pakistan Army is neutralised.

Comment

What do you mean by over ground infrastructure?
                              Listen from 10:20 onwards and then the NIA activity at 22:22 about nothing being done to geelani, omar farouk, yasin malik and mirwaiz. Case against them has yet to begin. Only second rung leaders you never heard of got into the net

In other word we are managing the problem, managing perceptions, seen to be doing things, tinker about on the surface but unwilling to fight the good fight. We are iow perpetuating the problem instead of solving it.

Its quite a scathing critique of the govt's so called muscular stance in Kashmir by a pandit isn't it. Lots of optics, militant numbers being killed but is there any thing more ?

The whole episode is worth listening to, good primer on events there.

Some of those OGWs are threatened to help Pakistani terrorists. Some join for the greater ummah cause. IB tracks them all. Arrest one, and the case gets cold. These are gun runners/smugglers etc, arresting them is unwise. But yeah, when the time comes some are arrested, those among them who're useless or on the path of becoming a terrorist are eliminated.
                              ok, so they're all been watched then. Sounds like a good rationale.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Jun 19,, 06:21.

Comment

• Multiple fronts

Comment

Working...
                                X