USS Lexington found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Lexington found

Paul Allen has found another WWII wreck, the USS Lexington.

https://news.usni.org/2018/03/05/vid...-uss-lexington

Super cool. Love that TBD and am amazed how it made a 2 mile trip down in basically one piece.

Comment

Amazing footage from Paul Allen's team:

"Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

The kill markings and Tomcatters squadron insignia being intact are amazing!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

I wonder if the planes could be brought up? I realise the carrier itself is classified as a war grave, but what of the planes themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            The kill markings and Tomcatters squadron insignia being intact are amazing!
            I can't believe the state of preservation. Indianapolis is in remarkable condition too.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
              I wonder if the planes could be brought up? I realise the carrier itself is classified as a war grave, but what of the planes themselves?
              I was wondering that myself. The Devastators alone would be priceless, as there none on dry land.

Problem is, how do you bring something like that up from 2 miles under the ocean and without wrecking it (and your bank account) in the process.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                I was wondering that myself. The Devastators alone would be priceless, as there none on dry land.

Problem is, how do you bring something like that up from 2 miles under the ocean and without wrecking it (and your bank account) in the process.
                Very, very carefully. :-)

Allen doesn't seem too concerned about the money, and I'm sure he could find people/institutions willing to help defray the cost if it was to be attempted.

Reading up on his undersea exploration is really impressive. Kudos to the man.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

The Wildcat, F-2, is another cool shot. I find it just unfrickinbelievable that a ship, wracked by gasoline explosions, seemingly sinks keel down onto the bottom and planes remain on the flight deck rather than dumped everywhere.

Look familiar? So with four kills who flew F-2? Only one more needed to become an ace and I would have no doubt the pilot did just so.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by tbm3fan; 07 Mar 18,, 08:39.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    The Wildcat, F-2, is another cool shot. I find it just unfrickinbelievable that a ship, wracked by gasoline explosions, seemingly sinks keel down onto the bottom and planes remain on the flight deck rather than dumped everywhere.

Look familiar? So with four kills who flew F-2? Only one more needed to become an ace and I would have no doubt the pilot did just so.

It's Butch O'Hare...that's what it says on the photo!

And yes he certainly got his 5!
                    Mark Twain

Comment

The archival photo says Butch was flying F-13 alongside Thach in F-1. The caption that went with that photo said both planes went down with the Lexington. I haven't seen anything that says Butch flew F-2 which was the plane seen this week.

I've just read more info that now says the Lex is in three pieces. This off a warbird forum. Also more pictures of a second Devastator. Here is a closer picture of the Wildcat and it turns out it is F-5. They are thinking F-5 could have been flown by Lt. Albert Vorse of VF3. Note the bomb on the cockpit. If more research by them shows up I'll bring it over.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Another poster thinks it could be Noel Gayler as they are trying to read the name on the cockpit. All feel they see an "R". Another shot of F-5

Edit" VF-2 was aboard Lexington at the time of Coral Sea. F-5 is wearing VF-3 markings. VF-3 did a photo shoot as seen in my archival picture. It is possible this plane, still in VF-3 colors, might have had those kills painted on for the photo shoot. There is more but I have to go.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by tbm3fan; 07 Mar 18,, 17:20.

Comment

The curators of at least half the aviation museums in the world are now drooling...

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                            The archival photo says Butch was flying F-13 alongside Thach in F-1.
                            I was reading on my iPhone. Now I can see it better.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

7 Devastators, 3 Dauntless, and 1 Wildcat

Photo 1: A cropped view of the Wildcat decals, which seem to show four aerial victories, as well as a bombing symbol. The 'Felix the Cat' logo of VF-3 is clearly evident too. You can also make out some letters from the pilot's name just below the canopy rail. It looks most likely to be that of Noel Gayler who went on to become an ace. He also earned 3 navy crosses between February and May 1942, an astonishing feat. Gayler ended his career as an admiral. Of note, he was also the officer to first greet returning American Vietnam War POWs off the transport at Clark Field in the Philippines.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X