This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zara View Post
    That sounds illegal to me. Without the specifics it's hard to say, but in the internal market, France cannot make regulation that will prohibit goods deemed compliant in another member state.
    It's like a company in Manchester building a hoover for example, trying to sell it in Leeds and being told it doesnt meet local regulatory legislation.
    You should tell your friend to contact the ECJ - that's what it's for.
    Ah but there's interpretation of regulation. Hes spoken to politicians repeatedly. How did Tankie put it 'about as much use as tits on fish'.... when you are running a business you simply don't have time to waste banging your head against a brick wall.
    There are regs in the EU that don't comply to the UK etc...but once you comply there's no prob....water bylaws for example. .... in the UK a commercial dishwasher requires an air break system to stop negative water contamination. In the rest of the EU a simple check valve is sufficient. The EU is littered with different interpretations as to what comply and what doesn't. It's a minefield and then there's the cost of all this complying and whether it's worth the investment . Don't be fooled in thinking everything is somehow streamlined within the EU coz it ain't!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
      Might it have something to do with this 'because of what is essentially a 'little Englander' sentimentality about a past that never was. Ridiculous defeatism.'
      Of course I am 'sentimental' (if that is the right word) for the great history, the victories and defeats (revenge for Varna), of the Central European nations, the long fight against the Ottoman (still continuing) and the long fight against the Tsarsists Khanate. I long for the rebirth of Central European State in succession to the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth incorporating a free Cossack Ukraine and the dismemberment of the Tsarist Empire, the rebirth of Circassia, Tartarstan, the enlargement of a free Hayastan (Armenia) back to Trebizond on the coast, the cleansing of Constantinople and much more besides. That does not mean I will pull up any drawbridges though; if one wishes to go out often and at a moments notice one does not lock the door for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• http://documentaryheaven.com/the-brussels-business/

If you can find the time to watch it, you should. I believe the BBC have refused to show it.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
          Of course I am 'sentimental' (if that is the right word) for the great history, the victories and defeats (revenge for Varna), of the Central European nations, the long fight against the Ottoman (still continuing) and the long fight against the Tsarsists Khanate. I long for the rebirth of Central European State in succession to the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth incorporating a free Cossack Ukraine and the dismemberment of the Tsarist Empire, the rebirth of Circassia, Tartarstan, the enlargement of a free Hayastan (Armenia) back to Trebizond on the coast, the cleansing of Constantinople and much more besides. That does not mean I will pull up any drawbridges though; if one wishes to go out often and at a moments notice one does not lock the door for the foreseeable future.
          I'd like to see the Dane law reintroduced.....far too many southerners heading North these days. Reality keeps me in check though

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
            http://documentaryheaven.com/the-brussels-business/

If you can find the time to watch it, you should. I believe the BBC have refused to show it.
            Flew into Brussels airport 20 years ago. Couldn't get over how big it was and yet how empty it was. ....like the program says who is accountable???

Comment

• Hey Snapper, would you want the Ukraine to join the EU?

Obviously Putin & Trump wont let that happen, but in principle is that something youd support?

Comment

Hey Snapper, would you want the Ukraine to join the EU?

Obviously Putin & Trump wont let that happen, but in principle is that something youd support?
                Putin and Trump are old men. It will happen and I would welcome it as Ukraine has the potential to feed all of Europe twice over and an educated and innovative younger generation willing to push reform not just in Ukraine but in the EU too.

Comment

Hey Snapper, would you want the Ukraine to join the EU?

Shouldn't be that much of a transition for them. After all they were members of the Soviet Union....

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                    Putin and Trump are old men. It will happen and I would welcome it as Ukraine has the potential to feed all of Europe twice over and an educated and innovative younger generation willing to push reform not just in Ukraine but in the EU too.
                    Would love to get you guys in. Once the Brexit farce is over and Trump gets dumped in 2020 hopefully Putin will have a stroke and Ukraine could join.
                    I'll be living Europe by then with luck!

Comment

I'll be living Europe by then with luck!
                      Any place in particular. ..some where sunny maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
                        Any place in particular. ..some where sunny maybe?
                        That was the plan! Hopes set on Barcelona. Hubby's got a contract in Frankfurt, he's starting there in a few months while I stay and try sell the house.
                        Once that's done well go out and stay with him. Well use Frankfurt as a stepping stone to somewhere nicer, depends where we can get work.

Plunging Pound isn't helping! But biggest worry is the staus of my husband post-Brexit. Ive got an Irish passport and so do the kids, so thats not a problem, but we've no idea whether he will be allowed to work or even stay in the EU as he only has a British one.

Comment

That was the plan! Hopes set on Barcelona. Hubby's got a contract in Frankfurt, he's starting there in a few months while I stay and try sell the house.
                          Once that's done well go out and stay with him. Well use Frankfurt as a stepping stone to somewhere nicer, depends where we can get work.

Plunging Pound isn't helping! But biggest worry is the staus of my husband post-Brexit. Ive got an Irish passport and so do the kids, so thats not a problem, but we've no idea whether he will be allowed to work or even stay in the EU as he only has a British one.
                          Barcelona is nice apart from the pick pockets on the Ramblas . Frankfurt is a sole less place.....Sachsenhausen is nice though. Don't think London has many worries in terms of competition.....very bleak centre of Frankfurt . Munich is much nicer.

Comment

• Sachsenhausen is gridlocked in the afternoon, and in my opinion isn't a particularly nice area for Germany. Also, it's about the most boring urban sleeper suburb i've ever seen. As in zero people in the streets. Most recent hip place among the gentrified zones these days is Gallus, priciest is still Westend.

Comment

biggest worry is the staus of my husband post-Brexit. Ive got an Irish passport and so do the kids, so thats not a problem, but we've no idea whether he will be allowed to work or even stay in the EU as he only has a British one.
                              He'll only need this for the first five years.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                                Sachsenhausen is gridlocked in the afternoon, and in my opinion isn't a particularly nice area for Germany. Also, it's about the most boring urban sleeper suburb i've ever seen. As in zero people in the streets. Most recent hip place among the gentrified zones these days is Gallus, priciest is still Westend.
                                99' when I was there....Stayed at the Steigenberger in the centre, We actually saw a mouse in the restaurant. The airport leaving was by far the best place from what I saw... ;-). Fancy Berlin (not the airport) this year and then down to Sicily for some sun and history...oh and food...some seafood
                                Last edited by Toby; 19 Jan 17,, 18:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X