Massive foul up on US Army “Visual Aircraft Recognition” manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive foul up on US Army “Visual Aircraft Recognition” manual

Apparently the US Army needs to re-learn how to ID aircraft... because they can't even ID their own country's planes.

There are so many mistakes in there it's not even funny... apart from the one on the article, I found A-15, a Fiat G-91 (which no one even uses anymore) magically turned into a Soko Jastreb.

Also... did you know that the US makes the Orao J-22 (Table A-1 and figure A-28)? I didn't...

Seriously... this is an official US Army publication?! Someone couldn't spend 30mn online checking this?!

F-35 pilots, be advised: don't fly over an USArmy unit...

Wow. So the Chinese could fly a J-20 over our FEBA, and the Army would go, "Yay! One of our guys!"
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

They all look the same these days.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        They all look the same these days.
        Some day, they'll be just like modern crossovers and SUV's: they'll all look exactly the same except for the name on the badge.
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I'm assuming the guys are just looking at IFF systems these days. That or just assuming any plane in the sky is friendly.

Comment

I had already posted this (noting that duckhunters suck at everything, including being duckhunters) on social media.

However, I think SDP hit it - if you are doing visual target recognition, it may be too late. IFF exists for a reason. These guys are moving fast. Also, this only really relates to MANPADS and SHORAD guys (Avenger and Stinger). I doubt the Patriot guys could ID an attractive female, let alone a hostile aircraft.

Now, that doesn't excuse the incompetence and buffoonery that this 'update' to the reg demonstrates.

Tankersteve

Comment

Originally posted by Tankersteve View Post
              I had already posted this (noting that duckhunters suck at everything, including being duckhunters) on social media.

However, I think SDP hit it - if you are doing visual target recognition, it may be too late. IFF exists for a reason. These guys are moving fast. Also, this only really relates to MANPADS and SHORAD guys (Avenger and Stinger). I doubt the Patriot guys could ID an attractive female, let alone a hostile aircraft.

Now, that doesn't excuse the incompetence and buffoonery that this 'update' to the reg demonstrates.

Tankersteve
              Imagine a special ops team, spyi... I mean, scouting an airport:
              "Hey! Those guys have F-35s!!"

Comment

Actually, they should know better. One of the first rules for a scout is to report what you see, not what you think you see. Is it an F-35? Or is it a twin-engine jet with twin canted rudders? I wouldn't expect the scout to necessarily know. I would expect him to report what he sees.

The same kind of problem shows up in ground vehicle ID. With the general tendency to use the same chassis for multiple variants, one must be very careful in declaring a particular vehicle or capability, versus describing any characteristics that they can identify. Try to figure out the difference between a Stryker infantry variant and the chemical recon version. Or the recce model and the fire support variant. In each of those pairings, one makes sense to find alone or forward of known friendly positions. The other likely means a main body force is in close proximity.

However, the point that this document has greater general purpose beyond some team sitting on a hill waiting forever, is well-taken.

Tankersteve

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                  Apparently the US Army needs to re-learn how to ID aircraft... because they can't even ID their own country's planes.

There are so many mistakes in there it's not even funny... apart from the one on the article, I found A-15, a Fiat G-91 (which no one even uses anymore) magically turned into a Soko Jastreb.

Also... did you know that the US makes the Orao J-22 (Table A-1 and figure A-28)? I didn't...

Seriously... this is an official US Army publication?! Someone couldn't spend 30mn online checking this?!

F-35 pilots, be advised: don't fly over an USArmy unit...
                  Maybe this manual is for BWR recognition? Sure looks like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
                    Maybe this manual is for BWR recognition? Sure looks like it.
                    Memory fails... BWR?...

Either way, it's bad. Some of these planes aren't even in use anymore...

Comment

Working...
                    X