Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

India reacts strongly to reports of US-Pak nuke pact, says 'check Islamabad's prolife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    I'm sorry but what? A job is a job. It puts food on the table and give your kids an education so they can be better than you. I certainly hope to hell that my daughter would do better than me, way better than me.

Is this kind of thinking unique to the West?
    No, it is a foreign concept to small minded Indian nationalists who do not understand an iota of economics.

Modi going out of his way to make others set up manufacturing in India, to his credit. He believes in what you said, a job is a job, and a skilled manufacturing job is a great one. The problem is that his politics is mediocre at best and he is not able to deliver
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
      One of the first things that the current Modi government did was to dissolve the Central Planning Commission
      And replace it with Niti Aayog with a more say to the state governments.

Comment

No, it is a foreign concept to small minded Indian nationalists who do not understand an iota of economics.

Sorry AM but dont you think that's a very sweeping generalization ?? painting all with a single brush ?

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
          Anil, it sounds like you are trying to follow something called Import-Substitution Industrialization
          Not exactly.

The market maybe be domestic or spread out but eventually, a good economy has to even out.

I'd advocate globalization but the problem is that the world does not trade in indian rupees and neither does india print american dollars : )

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
            And replace it with Niti Aayog with a more say to the state governments.
            It is a toothless think tank, an advisory body. Its "advises", like the reports from the many committees India has, will gather dust
            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Sorry AM but dont you think that's a very sweeping generalization ?? painting all with a single brush ?
              Fine.

Some Indian nationalists who are small minded. Happy?

I would call nationalism a curse, a tendency to dive headlong into issues and taking opinions just because they sound "right". In my view it is distinctly different from patriotism

Arnab Goswami's entire career now seems to rest on this

Comment

• Actual details

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/wo...enal.html?_r=0

It's not a 123 Treaty and basically to force the FMCT onto Pakistan.
                Chimo

Comment

It is a toothless think tank, an advisory body. Its "advises", like the reports from the many committees India has, will gather dust
                  CPC had been used to arm twist state governments where they had no say on the income they generated. Let states compete and embrace reforms and those who lag will feel the brunt of the voters and will force them to act swiftly. Whoever toed the line of center were given more importance and had more funds allocated and for eg like in TN when the center and state were ruled by different parties the CM had to beg multiple times to even get basic funding for projects that were long over due.

Comment

Fine.

Some Indian nationalists who are small minded. Happy?
                    Yep.

I would call nationalism a curse
                    Mind putting it in context in present scenario ?

Comment

• Forcing the FMCT on the Pakistanis through a carrot and stick approach sounds like a good idea actually- they are likely to strongly resist such a policy but I suspect there will be a latent threat of sanctions on them if they don't comply. Be interesting to see if aspects of the Iran model can work on Pakistan.

The reality of India's rise means that political paradigms are changing; look at Russia's decision to start selling arms to Pakistan. Does that look like a firm strategic alliance? I don't think so. Today the US is working together with the Indians and Japanese at sea, underlining that this administration is committed to improving to further the relationship with India. I suspect things will intensify regardless of whether Hillary or a Republican takes the WH in 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duellist View Post
                        I suspect things will intensify regardless of whether Hillary or a Republican takes the WH in 2016.
                        Count Dehli to put a damper on things. They always have.
                        Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Count Dehli to put a damper on things. They always have.
                          Don't necessarily disagree with that considering how many Indian officials are still myopic Russophiles, but things are changing from both sides, Indian and Western. Note Modi is (surprisingly) pro-US and an outsider to Delhi.

Comment

Yep.

Mind putting it in context in present scenario ?
                            Are you asking for examples ?

"Lets change our nuclear no first use doctrine, even though we have not thought through the implications"
                            "Lets ban NGOs and media persons who report about weaknesses about our society"
                            "Lets bash Pakistan to the point where they feel tempted to respond negatively"

Comment

• Originally posted by Duellist View Post
                              Don't necessarily disagree with that considering how many Indian officials are still myopic Russophiles, but things are changing from both sides, Indian and Western. Note Modi is (surprisingly) pro-US and an outsider to Delhi.
                              Modi is getting on board what the "normal" people from India have wanted, never mind the MEA wonks

Comment

CPC had been used to arm twist state governments where they had no say on the income they generated. Let states compete and embrace reforms and those who lag will feel the brunt of the voters and will force them to act swiftly. Whoever toed the line of center were given more importance and had more funds allocated and for eg like in TN when the center and state were ruled by different parties the CM had to beg multiple times to even get basic funding for projects that were long over due.
                                "Act swiftly"???

I am sorry, which country are we talking about?

Most of the large scale infrastructure development in India have been top down. The new way is a great way to promote unequal distribution of infrastructure and wealth across the country

I am sorry, which country are we talking about again?

Comment

Working...
                                X