Indian Prime Minister Modi arrives in Ottawa for start of landmark visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Prime Minister Modi arrives in Ottawa for start of landmark visit

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was met by Conservative MPs and fans from Ottawa’s Indo-Canadian community Tuesday evening as he began a landmark visit that will take him to three Canadian cities.

After arriving at the Ottawa airport around 6 pm, Mr. Modi shook hands on the tarmac with Defence Minister Jason Kenney, International Trade Minister Ed Fast and several other Conservative MPs. He greeted members of Ottawa’s Indo-Canadian community, who snapped photos of him on their phones and leaned over barriers to get a better look at the famous politician.

Mr. Modi’s visit to Canada comes after stops in Germany and France, where he worked to boost trade and promote a “Make in India” campaign that’s aimed at convincing more companies to establish manufacturing plants in India. While in Canada, Mr. Modi will deliver a speech to nearly 10,000 Indo-Canadians, meet with the heads of pension funds and banks, and attend an official dinner with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

His trip to Canada this week marks the first bilateral visit by an Indian prime minister in more than 40 years. He will be accompanied during stops in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who is eager to court the 1.2 million people of Indian origin in Canada ahead of the next federal election.

Mr. Modi has a rock star-like status among some Indo-Canadians, who will pack into Toronto’s Ricoh Coliseum on Wednesday night for a chance to hear him speak. However, the Indian politician is also a controversial figure who has been criticized for his handling of religious divisions in India and whose presence in Canada is expected to attract protesters.

Mr. Modi has no public events scheduled for Tuesday night after he leaves the Ottawa airport, according to an itinerary from Mr. Harper’s office, which was sent to journalists on Tuesday afternoon.

He will meet with Governor-General David Johnston at Rideau Hall on Wednesday morning, and then travel to Parliament Hill a formal welcoming ceremony with Mr. Harper. The two leaders will hold a 40 minute meeting in Mr. Harper’s office before addressing the Indian and Canadian media at 11 a.m.

After a working lunch in Ottawa, Mr. Harper and Mr. Modi will fly to Toronto, according to the itinerary from the Prime Minister’s Office. They are expected to address a crowd of nearly 10,000 people at Ricoh Coliseum on Wednesday night, a key event that will give both leaders an opportunity to reach out to the Indian diaspora community.

While Mr. Modi is expected to hold meetings with the heads of pension funds, insurance companies and banks on Thursday morning in Toronto, those events are not included in the official itinerary provided by the prime minister’s office.

He will also visit an Air India memorial in Etobicoke on Thursday morning, along with Mr. Harper and his wife, Laureen Harper, the itinerary says. He is expected to depart for Vancouver in the early afternoon and will stop at the Gurdwara Khalsa Diwan, a Sikh place of worship in Vancouver, and a Hindu temple in Surrey.

Mr. Modi will also attend an official dinner with Mr. Harper at the Pinnacle Vancouver Harbourfront Hotel.

Some members of the Indo-Canadian community say they plan to protest Mr. Modi at many of his public events. An organization called Sikhs for Justice has called for Mr. Modi to be prosecuted for torture and genocide over his alleged role in religious riots that broke out in Gujarat while he was that state’s chief minister. The group says it also expects to see protesters call for a referendum on independence in India’s Punjab state, which has a large Sikh population.

A second group, the World Sikh Organization, says it has no plans to protest but hopes Mr. Harper will raise concerns about violence against religious minorities in India, including recent attacks against Christians in that country.
    First visit in 40 odd years. A nuclear deal likely.

Link
    Last edited by DarthSiddius; 15 Apr 15,, 16:36.

Nuclear deal might take another 6-10 months, but a very good start nonetheless. This is what differentiates Mr. Modi from Mr. MMS. IMV, his vision matches that of Mr. Nelson Mandela.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      Nuclear deal might take another 6-10 months, but a very good start nonetheless. This is what differentiates Mr. Modi from Mr. MMS. IMV, his vision matches that of Mr. Nelson Mandela.
      I thought you didn't like Modi. You calling yourself an extremist Modi fan, eh?

Comment

An Article by Modi published in the Globe and Mail today.

What’s in it for Canada? Lots

I have come to build a strategic partnership with Canada in pursuit of India’s economic transformation and a more peaceful, secure and stable future for our two countries.

After more than four decades, an Indian Prime Minister is visiting Ottawa. Our relationship has been adrift in the past. The potential of our partnership remained a promise on a distant shore. However, in recent years, India and Canada have begun rediscovering each other. Prime Minister Stephen Harper has led with great vision to chart a new, more purposeful course in our relationship. As in Canada, the relationship enjoys broad political support in India.

A close strategic partnership between India and Canada is natural. We are two major democracies and pluralist societies. Our citizens enjoy individual rights and liberty; diverse cultures, religions and languages flourish in our two nations. The 1.2 million Canadians of Indian origin, deeply admired here and in India for their achievements and contribution to Canada, provide a strong human bond to our relationship. Indian students in Canada are a bridge to this partnership’s future.

Our relationship can also be immensely mutually beneficial. The second-most-populous country in the world has shifted economic gear. In India’s election in May, 2014, for the first time in three decades, a government won a majority in Parliament. It was a decisive mandate for good governance and economic progress. We have moved with speed and resolve to fulfill our pledge. We have reformed policies, procedures and institutions and launched many new initiatives to accelerate economic growth, build world class and sustainable infrastructure, revolutionize our manufacturing sector, clean up our environment, and transform our cities and villages.

Our progress is based on the participation of every citizen, secure about her rights, confident of her opportunities and able to seize them.

The pessimism of the past has turned into optimism about the future. India has become the fastest-growing major economy in the world. Multilateral institutions, credit rating agencies, independent experts and, above all, investors are unanimous in their vote of confidence in India.

India is a country with 800 million people below the age of 35; with a railway that carries more passengers daily than the population of three-fourths of the countries in the world; with 600,000 villages, and 500 cities with a population of 100,000 or more. The scale of every endeavour of ours is vast and, therefore, the opportunities we offer are enormous. There is no area of national development priority in which Canada cannot be an important partner – energy and mineral resources, finance and infrastructure, manufacturing and technology, science and technology, and human resource development. Equally, no other country will offer as much opportunity to Canada as India – and, all in the comfort of a familiar political system and shared values.

I hope to make this visit a springboard to take our partnership in trade, investment and innovation to a new level. We will encourage and facilitate closer engagement between our industries. We will benefit immensely by early conclusion of a Bilateral Investment Protection and Promotion Agreement, and Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement.

We can harness our synergies in science and technology to develop affordable solutions to the challenges of our times – food security, health and climate change. Our co-operation in education and skills will prepare the global work force for tomorrow.

Third, our relationship is of growing strategic value. In a troubled world, countries with similar values seek each other with natural instincts. India and Canada are on the opposite sides of the globe, but we have shared interests and face many common challenges. The changing character and growing reach of terrorism have made cities and communities across the world more vulnerable. India and Canada must strengthen their co-operation and seek a comprehensive global response to terrorism. We must also prepare ourselves for the challenges in the cyberworld and outer space.

Peace and stability in West Asia will make us safer at home; so will Afghanistan’s successful transition. Canada is a major Asia-Pacific country and should play a more active role, including in regional institutions, in promoting a stable and prosperous future for the region. Our partnership helps advance the cause of global economic revival in the G20. Canada’s leadership secured India its observer status in the Arctic Council.

During this visit, our two countries will resume commercial co-operation in civil nuclear energy after decades. This will be a defining symbol of our mutual trust and understanding, and of our willingness to look beyond the boundaries of the past to the opportunities of the future. We should pursue the possibilities with the same resolve in every walk of life.

As Chief Minister, I have experienced the strength and value of Canada’s partnership. I seek the same for India. In turn, as Canada looks west to the Pacific and Asia, she will find no stronger partner than India in the dynamic region. The success of our partnership will also reinforce our shared ideals in the world, which is so important for its peaceful, sustainable and prosperous future.
        Last edited by DarthSiddius; 15 Apr 15,, 16:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
          I thought you didn't like Modi. You calling yourself an extremist Modi fan, eh?
          Why??????? Every thread???? Walking away and giving up are not the same thing, Blade. I'm not here to win. Please continue.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Why??????? Every thread???? Walking away and giving up are not the same thing, Blade. I'm not here to win. Please continue.
            Cuz you are my chewtoy and I wish to play with my chewtoy.

Comment

Teaching children how to behave: 5 essential principles

Play nice!

Comment

Anyway back to topic,

In addition to nuclear supply, Modi is looking for more ways to expand the knowledge base such as industrial and manufacturing design. I am hoping that he would expand more on the Bombardier and other aeronautical & locomotive companies to improve the Indian railways and transportation systems. India needs to work on removing the bottlenecks in its economy, namely, the shipping and railways. Their capacity and turnarounds are severely lagging behind global standards. If India could improve on those, its GDP would increase.

Comment

Anyway back to topic,

In addition to nuclear supply, Modi is looking for more ways to expand the knowledge base such as industrial and manufacturing design. I am hoping that he would expand more on the Bombardier and other aeronautical & locomotive companies to improve the Indian railways and transportation systems. India needs to work on removing the bottlenecks in its economy, namely, the shipping and railways. Their capacity and turnarounds are severely lagging behind global standards. If India could improve on those, its GDP would increase.
                  I have been waiting for a year+.
                  He did nothing just allowed his party and sangh extremists to mouth off while enjoying foreign jaunts and Obma visit.
                  Only BJP law to come up so far is Maha Beef Ban.
                  He has escaped criticism so far because previous govt was much worse and oil price fall protected him.

Massive disappointment.
                  For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Cuz you are my chewtoy and I wish to play with my chewtoy.
                    Take a day off and consider why blatantly admitting that you're trolling somebody is a bad idea.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Nuclear deal might take another 6-10 months, but a very good start nonetheless.
                      They didn't want to wait that long I guess.

Canada, India agree to major uranium supply deal

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                        They didn't want to wait that long I guess.

Canada, India agree to major uranium supply deal
                        For an energy starved Nation, this is very good news. Kudos to Mr. Modi and his team. Well done.

Comment

PM Modi in Ottawa: Canada will supply uranium to India for next five years

What happens after 5 years? The deal is re-negotiated?

Comment

Good work by Modi on the foreign relations trip in Canada and the energy procurement measures.
                            The low points were call the previous govts "scam India" was uncalled for. A foreign trip is not the place to rant.
                            Anyway, he is as dirty and corrupt as any other political party.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Am quite touched with Harper. He visited us twice before we sent someone over.

How often do you see something like this ?

Comment

Working...
                              X