21 killed as terrorists stage serial attacks to disrupt Kashmir polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 killed as terrorists stage serial attacks to disrupt Kashmir polls

SRINAGAR: A series of four terror attacks rocked Kashmir on Friday as militants struck a heavily-fortified military camp at Uri in Baramulla district as well as police and civilian targets in three other districts. At least 21 have been killed, among them eight soldiers, including the commanding officer in Uri, three policemen, two civilians and the remaining militants.

The concerted attacks in Uri, Pulwama, Shopian and Srinagar were seen to be aimed at disrupting the state elections which have so far witnessed record voter turnouts despite dire terror threats. The worst attack was in Uri which goes to the polls in the next round and where PM Narendra Modi was scheduled to campaign on Monday.

All six militants who attacked the Uri military base were eliminated by the Army, and two other terrorists were shot dead in Soura area of Srinagar. In Uri, 100km from Srinagar and 18km from the Line of Control, terrorists hurled grenades and fired from automatic guns trying to storm their way into a forward artillery base of the 32 Field regiment.

As they approached the camp, the fidayeen broke into two groups of three each. While one headed towards the main gate, the other turned towards the barracks. A fierce gun battle followed in which commanding officer, Lt Col Sankalp Kumar, and seven soldiers along with three policemen were killed. Firing at the barracks that stored kerosene, the fidayeen set off a fire that charred four soldiers. By 11.30am, the encounter was over and all the six fidayeen had been killed.

The attacks set off a massive security alert across several cities and in New Delhi Army chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag briefed Modi. The hand of banned terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba is being widely suspected.

Significantly, Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed, who on Thursday told his supporters in Lahore that Pakistanis and Kashmiris are blood brothers and elections in Kashmir are no substitute to plebiscite, tweeted, "Ghazwae Hind (conquest of India) is inevitable, Kashmir will be freed, 1971 will be avenged and Ahmedabad Gujarat victims will get justice, Insha Allah."

In Ahmad Nagar in Soura area of Srinagar district, terrorists inside a car fired at the police during a routine check. A terrorist was killed when police retaliated while another took refuge in a civilian home. Police and paramilitary forces cordoned off the house and in the ensuing encounter the second terrorist was killed. Over 50km from Srinagar, in Shopian, a hand grenade attack on a police station shattered the window panes of the DSP's residence.

In Tral, Pulwama district, a lone terrorist threw a grenade at a bus-stand in which 51-year-old Ghulam Hasan Gojri and 27-year-old Mohammed Jamal succumbed to their injuries. The attacker was untraced till reports last came in.

Speaking on the condition anonymity, a senior Army officer commanding the operation confirmed to TOI that it was a "fidayeen" (suicide) attack in Uri. "The terrorists are believed to be Pakistanis. In Uri, they killed three policemen on the road outside our Army camp: ASI Mohammad Akbar Lone, head constable Abdul Majid and constable Sanjay Koul. They entered the camp from the gate through the road which lacks a concrete boundary wall," the officer said.

"Lt Colonel Sankalp Kumar of 24 Punjab Regiment of Raipur was killed in the exchange of fire," he said, adding that SHO of Uri police station Latif Durrani was wounded.

The third phase of assembly elections will see Uri in Baramulla district going to polls on December 9. This section of the LoC is significant for being the transit point for the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service and trade between two parts of Kashmir. No infiltration has occurred here since the early 1990s.

Six AK-47s with 55 magazines, two shotguns, two night vision binoculars, four radio sets, 32 unused grenades, one medical kit and a large quantity of explosives were recovered from the slain terrorists, the defence spokesman said. The militants also came wearing snow boots and carried dry fruit, indicating that they were set for a longer standoff.

Chief minister Omar Abdullah, condemning the attacks, said this exposed the militants' desperation to disrupt peace and normalcy. "Once again (this) shows the desperate levels militants will go to disrupt peace and normalcy," Omar tweeted.

TimesofIndia
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

RIP.

High voter turnout could have led to J&K attacks

Pak runs special trains for Hafiz Saeed meet

Pakistan mainstreaming terrorism, says MEA

The fat pork is at it again.

What is the use of buying expensive toys if they have to be kept in storage. A strong response would be IN blocking shipping routes of Pak, IA fortifying the border and getting ready for any eventuality, and the IAF carpet bombing the 40+ terrorist camps in PoK, and repeat it everytime there is an attack on Indian soil.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

The officer who was died, was not the CO but the second-in-command of 24 Punjab, who led the QRT to flush out the terrorists.
      A brave officer who volunteered to serve with his battalion in field environment, even though he was medically not required to due to an earlier battle injury in 2003.

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      Speaking on the condition anonymity, a senior Army officer commanding the operation confirmed to TOI that it was a "fidayeen" (suicide) attack in Uri. "The terrorists are believed to be Pakistanis. In Uri, they killed three policemen on the road outside our Army camp: ASI Mohammad Akbar Lone, head constable Abdul Majid and constable Sanjay Koul. They entered the camp from the gate through the road which lacks a concrete boundary wall," the officer said.
      I have not posted regarding the Badgam check post incident as some of my compatriots would think that I'm on an anti-Modi rant.
      The army circles are furious as the Govt ordered the Army to take the blame and for the deaths to two teens last month. These teens broke through 2 barricades in their car and refused to stop at a check-post that made the RR troops open fire - this is standard SOP.

In Uri, the sentries at the gate of 31 Medium Regt did not open fire at the approaching terrorist vehicle due to caution imposed on them by the govt.
      This is what happens when stupid politicians give stupid orders. Why I blame the PM? ...it is because he is running a one man show.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoilers added as graphic content: Parihaka
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Parihaka; 08 Dec 14,, 10:43. Reason: My apologies, spoilers added as contains graphic content

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

This terrorist was killed in the Soura locality of Srinagar in a different operation.

Spoiler!

Spoilers added as graphic content: Parihaka
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Parihaka; 08 Dec 14,, 10:42.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
            I have not posted regarding the Badgam check post incident as some of my compatriots would think that I'm on an anti-Modi rant. The army circles are furious as the Govt ordered the Army to take the blame and for the deaths to two teens last month. These teens broke through 2 barricades in their car and refused to stop at a check-post that made the RR troops open fire - this is standard SOP.

In Uri, the sentries at the gate of 31 Medium Regt did not open fire at the approaching terrorist vehicle due to caution imposed on them by the govt.
            This is what happens when stupid politicians give stupid orders. Why I blame the PM? ...it is because he is running a one man show.
            You're on point here. If I blame anyone it's the Modi led BJP at the center. But, things like this happened during the Congress led government too. The thing is all politicians and parties when in opposition make shallow sounds and promises, but while in government their pusillanimous nature is revealed. They are all of the same breed and stature.

J&K terror attack: Food packets with Pak markings recovered from militants

Twitter
            Attached Files

Comment

I have not posted regarding the Badgam check post incident as some of my compatriots would think that I'm on an anti-Modi rant.
              The army circles are furious as the Govt ordered the Army to take the blame and for the deaths to two teens last month. These teens broke through 2 barricades in their car and refused to stop at a check-post that made the RR troops open fire - this is standard SOP.

In one sentence you have just raised doubt on wisdom of Army courts and GoI.

If there was pressure from Modi government then this same kind of attack should have been not countered. The Army followed the SOP this time again.

Your army circles may have been giving you general/generic views. If there is nothing official from Army ranks it doesn't exists. Either you provide the source of your information or its isn't the case.

As per media report there was specific tip/intelligence available for this kind of attack on Badgam check post yesterday. The court of inquiry of previous such incident when breech of check post happened was conducted by the Army not GOI, they must have taken availability of intelligence input in that case as well.

Thanks for turning this thread political BTW.

Comment

Unlike jihadis elsewhere, these pack arrive with gps devices and night vision goggles which spells bad news.

They should be intercepted while they jump border fence itself

Comment

I did not catch that bit in the newspaper, in the end they were unarmed. What were those kids thinking. An unfortunate mistake.

reminds of that fishing boat that got cut down heading towards a us tanker off the emirates coast.

This is what happens when stupid politicians give stupid orders.
                  But did the terrorists give a reason to open fire. They would try not to raise attention.

See the ammo

Could you avoid not taking casualties ?

Why I blame the PM? ...it is because he is running a one man show.
                  Yes, most un-RSS like which favours the collective and not the individual.

He short circuits institutions and works around people. But it creates a bottleneck so i see this as only sustainable in the initial stages.

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  RIP.

High voter turnout could have led to J&K attacks

Pak runs special trains for Hafiz Saeed meet

Pakistan mainstreaming terrorism, says MEA

The fat pork is at it again.

What is the use of buying expensive toys if they have to be kept in storage. A strong response would be IN blocking shipping routes of Pak, IA fortifying the border and getting ready for any eventuality, and the IAF carpet bombing the 40+ terrorist camps in PoK, and repeat it everytime there is an attack on Indian soil.
                  Successful elections with high voter turnout is a good enough response i would think. It means these attacks did not and cannot affect facts on the ground.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Dec 14,, 00:23.

Comment

Terrorists hiked for 24 hours, crossed dense forests before staging assault | The Indian Express

The six Lashkar-e-Taiba jihadists who staged Friday’s attack on an Indian military position near Uri left the small town of Chham, across the Line of Control (LoC) in Pakistan-administered Kashmir, hiking west for almost 24 hours, across dense high-altitude forest, before staging their attack at dawn, military sources have told The Sunday Express. The route, sources said, was revealed by digital records from the global positioning sets carried by the terrorists.
                    The rats came fully prepared. Seems to me they belonged to same suicide unit of Pakistan army, I posted a link here at WAB many months back.

Comment

Broadsword: Young army officers blame commanders for Uri debacle on social media

Highlighting a worrying faultline, the message demands (capitals in original): “GENERALS SHOULD STOP PLAYING TO [THE] GALLERY AND MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS AND ALLOW SOLDIERS TO DO THEIR JOB.”
                      It was election season

Comment

I think that is the attitude in most organizations in this world, social media has just made it easier to be circulated.

Pakistan will keep supporting radical Muslim terrorist hurt India is nothing new. I do not think we can do anything about it except fixing security at home.
                        Pakistan mainstreaming terrorism, says Ministry of External Affairs
                        Really!!!
                        Last edited by kuku; 07 Dec 14,, 16:54.

Comment

Originally posted by ambidex View Post
                          In one sentence you have just raised doubt on wisdom of Army courts and GoI.

If there was pressure from Modi government then this same kind of attack should have been not countered. The Army followed the SOP this time again.

Your army circles may have been giving you general/generic views. If there is nothing official from Army ranks it doesn't exists. Either you provide the source of your information or its isn't the case.
                          You don't have to believe me, but you may trust Ajau Shukla's word
                          Broadsword: Young army officers blame commanders for Uri debacle on social media

Thanks for turning this thread political BTW
                          Why is it wrong to question Modi for his actions? We abused Manmohan Singh when de did not take decisions.
                          We shall do the same if Modi makes mistakes. He cannot afford a learning curve as far as Kashmir is concerned.
                          Last edited by lemontree; 08 Dec 14,, 07:24.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Could you avoid not taking casualties ?
                            Casualties are inevitable in any operations, what I am implying is that the zero error syndrome will kill moral.
                            Just because 2 teens got killed in an unfortunate incident, does not mean that the army needs to apologise. There have been similar incidents when people refused to stop at check-posts were fired upon while fleeing, but the army/ para-military were never told to apologise. That is why you have the AFSPA there.

Political leaders must never interfere in military operations. It can sometimes send the wrong message down the rank and file - Thanks to PM Modi, Army Apologised for Killings: Sajjad Lone to NDTV

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by ambidex View Post
                              The rats came fully prepared. Seems to me they belonged to same suicide unit of Pakistan army, I posted a link here at WAB many months back.
                              Its not the PA, these are hand picked LeT.

Originally posted by anil View Post
                              It was election season
                              Yes and the stakes are irresistible.

Can BJP they pull off Mission44+ and turn PDP into a junior partner like SS in Maha.

Kashmir is desperate for development.

Casualties are inevitable in any operations, what I am implying is that the zero error syndrome will kill moral.
                              zero error is a mantra in manufacturing.

Just because 2 teens got killed in an unfortunate incident, does not mean that the army needs to apologise. There have been similar incidents when people refused to stop at check-posts were fired upon while fleeing, but the army/ para-military were never told to apologise. That is why you have the AFSPA there.

Political leaders must never interfere in military operations. It can sometimes send the wrong message down the rank and file - Thanks to PM Modi, Army Apologised for Killings: Sajjad Lone to NDTV
                              Elections, ensuring turnout.

Giving the impression army is responsible.

They've turned a seperatist into joining their ranks !!
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Dec 14,, 09:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X