X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=90b_1188688170
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Operator; 13 Oct 14,, 02:46.

Comment

As the link said, we allowed the French pilots to stay proficient while their carrier was in refit.

Don't see many foreign planes on US Navy carriers because the French are the only other country that has a big deck carrier.

USMC Harriers have flown off the British harrier carriers and some of the other harrier carrier countries have conducted flight ops off our LHDs before.

I've seen Spanish and Italian planes at least do approach and take off ops on Med cruises back in the day.

But yea it is a rare thing.

Comment

Brazil runs a Clemenceau-class carrier. I think it rates in the coolness class, since they still fly A-4s off of it.

I don't know if there's a history of work between them and USN.

Ed-

Comment

Royal Navy Phantoms and Buccaneer aircraft would at times land and launch from American Carriers.
          McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II in UK service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...42%29_1972.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Zad Fnark View Post
            Brazil runs a Clemenceau-class carrier. I think it rates in the coolness class, since they still fly A-4s off of it.

I don't know if there's a history of work between them and USN.

Ed-
            The Argentinians have an arrangement with the USN and typically do touch-and-go landings when there's a CVN nearby (not that often probably). Otherwise the rely on the Brazilians to maintain proficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
              The Argentinians have an arrangement with the USN and typically do touch-and-go landings when there's a CVN nearby (not that often probably). Otherwise the rely on the Brazilians to maintain proficiency.
              The Gringo-Gaucho maneuvers, yeah not very often at all according to the table on Wiki.

1990: USS Constellation on transit for her SLEP
              1990: USS Abraham Lincoln
              1991: USS Kitty Hawk, including port visit to Mar del Plata
              1993: USS Constellation on the way back to the Pacific Ocean after SLEP
              2001: USS Nimitz. Cancelled due budget restrictions per Argentine economic crisis
              2004: USS Ronald Reagan
              2008: USS George Washington
              2010: USS Carl Vinson

And I'm wondering how much stick-time their aviators get in general these days, what with the state of Argentina's finances, let alone doing touch-and-go's on the Săo Paulo

Come to think of it, Săo Paulo herself has been out of action for a couple years now.
              Last edited by TopHatter; 13 Oct 14,, 22:21.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Well today I learned that the Brazilian carrier Săo Paulo was purchased from France for only $12 million in the year 2000. Talk about a bargain!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                  Well today I learned that the Brazilian carrier Săo Paulo was purchased from France for only $12 million in the year 2000. Talk about a bargain!
                  They didn't get much apparently. :red:
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

As the the Gunnery Sergeant pointed out a number of foreign naval air arms have used USN carriers: French F-8's UK F-4s' A-4 from a number of countries. USN aircraft have even worn RN FAA colors:Ark Royal F-4 Phantom Wears Combined US and UK Markings | Storm Climb Vandals!

Comment

Can USN A/C outside of the Harrier (Marines, I know) use ski-jump carriers? Or are they solely CATOBAR and eventually EMALS?

Comment

One thing that struck me is the size similarity between the F-18 and the Rafale (it looks like they are almost identical); I had just always assumed that the Rafale was a relatively small aircraft, more comparable in size to the Gripen, perhaps, than an American fighter.
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

See below an article on plane exchanges between the Charles de Gaulle and the USS Harry S. Truman.

USN F18s E, C12 and Hawkeye landing on the Charles de Gaulle
                          French Rafales and Hawkeye landing on the USS Harry S. Truman

The article is in French (google will translate for you) and highlight the size difference between the 2 carriers (243 meters vs 203 meters length)

Super Hornet et Hawkeye américains sur le Charles de Gaulle | Mer et Marine

Comment

Originally posted by Operator View Post
                            Can USN A/C outside of the Harrier (Marines, I know) use ski-jump carriers? Or are they solely CATOBAR and eventually EMALS?
                            Probably, just with a much-reduced fuel and ordnance load.

That's the problem with ski-jumps. Sure you can get off the deck without an expensive and complicated catapult but you're not bringing much to the party, relatively speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Operator View Post
                              Solely CATOBAR

Comment

Working...
                              X