Russia Bans Food Imports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sitting Bull View Post
    The powers need to stop fighting their battles through the media, get back to the table, and outline their definitive spheres of influence so that we might avert the chances of an accident in one of these disputed areas turning into a global war.
    Why, so Russia can violate yet another agreement?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Well, he's lamented the passing of the USSR... at least he got the queing in food lines back...
      :-) I remember these lines. I had to line for milk at 6am to buy couple of littes of it in mid 80-es.... But the most dangerous thing for USSR were talks in these lines... people were asking - Why our rullers are supplied from a special shops? Why there is a corruption on the back door and rullers don't care? Why we are being lied that we are ahead of the whole world? and they were gossiping about the West..... the kingdom of TRUTH! a world of no lines... limitless food in the stores.... and freedom to move wherever you want or dress whatever you like...

There was no better time for USA to turn all those people into the most friendly nation.... well... I am repeating myself

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
        :-) I remember these lines. I had to line for milk at 6am to buy couple of littes of it in mid 80-es.... But the most dangerous thing for USSR were talks in these lines... people were asking - Why our rullers are supplied from a special shops? Why there is a corruption on the back door and rullers don't care? Why we are being lied that we are ahead of the whole world? and they were gossiping about the West..... the kingdom of TRUTH! a world of no lines... limitless food in the stores.... and freedom to move wherever you want or dress whatever you like...

There was no better time for USA to turn all those people into the most friendly nation.... well... I am repeating myself
        I wont deny that Bush 41 blew it when Gorbachev asked for a bailout.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
          :-) I remember these lines. I had to line for milk at 6am to buy couple of littes of it in mid 80-es...
          The free market economic model to exclude any lines in Russia.

Comment

some of these bans are just for local political consumption and external political symbolism. eg the russians were stuffing the norwegians around 6 months ago - they already had bans in place based on bogus trumped up food quality issues, russia also registers less than 1% on some of the countries listed. ie its a miniscule impact on russia or the importer but makes putin look as though he is making a tough response

puff and posture. not to forget that he starts to lose his trump cards effectiveness in the next 2 years - so his options aren't as spectacular as his supporters think.

good luck to him

some more tidbits on why he's jousting at windmills

I mentioned some months ago that Putin had pulled development money from the murmansk region to build industry in crimea - well the murmansk special economic region has now officially collapsed.
            locals are protesting at Norwegian food bans but don't seem to be aware that Russia banned Norwegian fish on trumped up quality charges before the embargoes even kicked in

on top of which it looks like putin will be trying to reverse some bans on certain foodstuffs as its hurting local demand

more detail here:
            barentsobserver.com/en/business/2014/08/smolt-slip-through-embargo-net-14-08
            Last edited by gf0012-aust; 20 Aug 14,, 04:35.
            Linkeden:
            http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
            http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
            X