This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monash View Post
    My 'hackles' weren't really raised, lowered or for that matter even moved sideways. As I noted previously I thought was the intent in this case. For my part I dislike deliberately poor historical scholarship and/or referencing of literary works simply for the purpose of starting disputes. It might well be fine to do so for the purposes of humor where the intent is a positive response but not when the purpose is a negative one. The Bible suffers from this problem perhaps more than most texts, people deliberately quoting specific phrases out of context because it suits a particular religious, political or philosophical point of view. I once had someone quote Genesis 1 verse 29 to me as 'proof' that the early Hebrew Nations and their God a approved of vegetarianism. (Overlooking verse 30 immediately below.)
    As I said, the Bible is not alone in this. Nor are Christians.

My intent was not to point to the Bible, because a religious debate always gets nasty.

My point is leave the poor kids out of it man. Let them learn normal stuff. Grow up normally.

Treating your wife as someone who is beholden to submit to you is not normal.

Teaching a small girl that she needs to submit to a man when she gets big and is married is not normal.

Comment

So, we are in agreement there are nutcases everywhere. As I pointed out to you, you can't kill them and they only express their opinion. Parents have freedom of choice. The system at work.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

What happens when a hyper religious nutcase becomes President?

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
          Nation loves him or changes him, be it by waiting 4 years or impeachment. The President, technically can't change the laws or make judgments.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

4 years is a very long time.

And what is done in those 4 years does not begin and end within those 4 years.

Comment

And Doktor, it is the choice of the parents to send their kids to such schools.

But as I have pointed out before, the parents of the kids who grow up an marry one of the first set of kids do not get the same choiice.

Divorce? Or domestic battery and marital rape?

Comment

And Doktor, it is the choice of the parents to send their kids to such schools.

But as I have pointed out before, the parents of the kids who grow up an marry one of the first set of kids do not get the same choiice.

Divorce? Or domestic battery and marital rape?
                Americans have the right to care guns and shoot them in self-defense.

Oh, and they don't usually marry to strangers, nor without having sex with them before the marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  Americans have the right to care guns and shoot them in self-defense.
                  What about the British?

Oh, and they don't usually marry to strangers, nor without having sex with them before the marriage.
                  The Bible has a lot to say on pre marital sex as well. Kids from those schools would probably be instructed accordingly.

And even if not, I don't think the "submission" refers to girlfriends, or even fiancees. Only wives. Though I hasten to add - pending careful study of the same, I could be wrong.

Comment

Then he has to try and "take the Nation with him" on his religious journey. Chances are it won't budge.
                    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

What about the British?
                      They poison them ;)

Self defense is a right in UK as well, I believe.

The Bible has a lot to say on pre marital sex as well. Kids from those schools would probably be instructed accordingly.
                      And?

And even if not, I don't think the "submission" refers to girlfriends, or even fiancees. Only wives. Though I hasten to add - pending careful study of the same, I could be wrong.
                      As you said no sex out of wedlock. So, no, it doesn't apply to them.

Comment

They poison them ;)
                        With their cooking?

Comment

With their cooking?
                          They have more ways then one. Tankie was out of the country and couldn't learn in time ;)

Comment

They have more ways then one. Tankie was out of the country and couldn't learn in time ;)
                            In my younger days (long before I got married) for a period of time I had this unexplainable paranoia of being smothered in my sleep.

It played hell with logistics.

Comment

I have been reading the Bible to understand it better, but I'm yet to come across any reference for or against pre marital sex. I've still not gone past the old testament so I have a lot of ground to cover.

But yes, kids in Indian convent schools are taught against pre marital sex/ mastrubation etc (which I'm sure no parent in India objects to).

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

I am pretty sure the teens follow the given guidance(s) word by word ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X