Narendra Modi's push for Hindi struggles to translate in some states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
    hindi is understood and spoken across india. there is no concentration. english is spoken by around 100 million indians max. And is a foreign tongue.
    Your self created illusion. Go to any state in the southern India and visit their villages and lets see how you get a response. Hindi is also a freaking foreign tongue and a dialect for us then who are you (not you ofc) to impose a certain language on us ?
    Last edited by commander; 19 Jun 14,, 20:18.

Comment

Source

Hindi is definitely spoken by a larger populace but that doesn't give you the right to make it the national language when there are almost 60% of India that don't speak Hindi.

Please don't give me the crap about a lot of people in Southern India speaking Hindi too, that is mainly the Hindi population that moved out of their states and settled in non Hindi speaking states.

Bloods have been shed in the past ,note we didn't kill anyone but rather sacrificed our lives protecting it and if blood needs to be shed this time around, may the lord save us
      Last edited by commander; 19 Jun 14,, 20:27.

Comment

we've been over this on the other thread.

India needs a bridge language. An indian language. Not one left over by foreigners.

Hindi is the natural bridge. And has become that without overt state support.

This is a good step.

Comment

we've been over this on the other thread.

India needs a bridge language. An indian language. Not one left over by foreigners.

Hindi is the natural bridge. And has become that without overt state support.

This is a good step.
          Lets say we all accept Hindi. What next do you want a bridging religion ? a bridging eating habit ? this is absolutely ridiculous. You like it or not we will not let that happen. Modi came to power on the promise of development and not about making Hindi official language or wanting to do things that will shatter the social fabric of India.

I can go on in lengths about this topic about what are the implications that are waiting should something like that happen. But the thread hasn't evolved yet so I won't bring those arguments yet.

And honestly SB i have lost the respect I had for you the moment you started to idealize someone who came to power by beating and killing his fellow Indians. You might not care about me respecting you but I still felt the urge to point it out
          Last edited by commander; 19 Jun 14,, 20:42.

Comment

Commander,

Whether you like it or not, by necessity there will be a bridge language. It is the nature of human evolution/progress. We just don't know what it is. It could be an amalagation of Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, English, and Bengal. Only time will tell.

Noone is shoving Hindi down the throats of everyone. Modi is just indicating his preference to communicate in Hindi than English since Hindi is more widely spread among India than English can ever be. Not everyone can speak English nor desire to learn to speak English. Modi is playing to his common base. As for the southern parts of India not knowing Hindi, I am sure that Modi is intelligent enough to translate it into Tamil or a regional language as opposed to using English.

Oracle and Times of India are being premature about Modi's intentions. Desiring to communicate in Hindi as opposed to English does not translate to forcing everyone to speak Hindi. Let us see how Modi react when people come to him and say we don't understand Hindi but we understand Tamil or Bengal and English. If Modi responds by translating into Tamil and Bengalese, then he is not really forcing Hindi down on everyone else. He is just preferring not to communicate an non Indian language.

Comment

sorry to burst your bubble but there will be no implications. you are too small to buck the larger whole. accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                Commander,

Whether you like it or not, by necessity there will be a bridge language. It is the nature of human evolution/progress. We just don't know what it is. It could be an amalagation of Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, English, and Bengal. Only time will tell.

Noone is shoving Hindi down the throats of everyone. Modi is just indicating his preference to communicate in Hindi than English since Hindi is more widely spread among India than English can ever be. Not everyone can speak English nor desire to learn to speak English. Modi is playing to his common base. As for the southern parts of India not knowing Hindi, I am sure that Modi is intelligent enough to translate it into Tamil or a regional language as opposed to using English.

Oracle and Times of India are being premature about Modi's intentions. Desiring to communicate in Hindi as opposed to English does not translate to forcing everyone to speak Hindi. Let us see how Modi react when people come to him and say we don't understand Hindi but we understand Tamil or Bengal and English. If Modi responds by translating into Tamil and Bengalese, then he is not really forcing Hindi down on everyone else. He is just preferring not to communicate an non Indian language.
                I have no issue with Modi making Hindi as his go to language to communicate with his cabinet, but giving priority to only Hindi and making it as the only language to communicate to the rest of India is what we are opposing, if he is man who thinks he should speak the local dialect to reach the people then he should be intelligent enough to urge his ministers and cadres to use the language of the state they belong to to reach more people , and that clearly hasn't happened.

If you think that Hindi is a bridging language why can't you accept English as the same. If you think English is a foreign language to you then even for us Hindi is a foreign language so what do we do about that ? I guess this helps you understand why we dont like being forced to learn any language. I have mentioned this earlier as well, for the better or worse we were forced to learn a language when we were slaves and trying the same thing again now just makes me feel being slave again , and I am not alone in feeling that.

And about Hindi widespread more among India , as I said earlier it is the Hindi speaking populace who had spread across India due to employment opportunities and for other reasons. That too only in major cities and metro's, don't be misled from the way the Indian 'so called english media' portrays things. How many villages in southern India do you think will be speaking Hindi ?

This is the indirect shoving of the language. If Hindi is preferred as being the national language then there are two things that will happen

1. ROI that speaks their local dialects will be forced to learn Hindi for the sake of getting employment opportunities and over time their regional language dies a painful death.
                2. ROI stays stubborn and influential posts are occupied by Hindi speaking populace and again discrimination against those who dont. We have seen this in the past and if Modi isn't careful enough we might be in that same pit again

He preferring to not speak to his ministers in English is not an issue but having them communicate to the rest of the country in one language is what an issue here.

Comment

Originally posted by commander View Post
                  Heh, all the states that gave him a majority.

Bloods have been shed in the past ,note we didn't kill anyone but rather sacrificed our lives protecting it and if blood needs to be shed this time around, may the lord save us
                  From the archive, 6 January 1958: Debate rages over official language in India | Guardian | Jan 6 2014

Comment

He preferring to not speak to his ministers in English is not an issue but having them communicate to the rest of the country in one language is what an issue here.
                    Forcing him to speak and communicate in English is just as equivalent as forcing others to speak Hindi. Do note that Hindi is recognized and accepted as a national language. It would be one thing to speak in Marathi and demand everyone to speak Marathi or even that matter, Sanskrit. But Modi is not. He is using one of the recognized national language.

Comment

sorry to burst your bubble but there will be no implications. you are too small to buck the larger whole. accept it.
                      Well i might belong to the younger than you half your age possibly. But that doesn't mean whatever you say are right isn't it SB. You (your generation) are the one who are holding on to the old out of date policies that are holding our country from moving forward.

You might think Hindi is THE solution , but its not. Like I said if you have 40% on your side we have 60% on our side. As per the implications that I was talking about , even lets say Modi takes this to the next step then he will face the disgrunt from even by a smaller number millions opposing him , the same people who elected him.

You are lost the moment when you think you need a language to connect to your fellow Indian. India can't afford to have millions of it's children disgruntled and fighting in between. This will weaken the agenda that Modi has and gives the foreign powers easy fault line to expose further. I don't live in a bubble bro apparently you are

Comment

Well i might belong to the younger than you half your age possibly. But that doesn't mean whatever you say are right isn't it SB. You (your generation) are the one who are holding on to the old out of date policies that are holding our country from moving forward.

You might think Hindi is THE solution , but its not. Like I said if you have 40% on your side we have 60% on our side. As per the implications that I was talking about , even lets say Modi takes this to the next step then he will face the disgrunt from even by a smaller number millions opposing him , the same people who elected him.

You are lost the moment when you think you need a language to connect to your fellow Indian. India can't afford to have millions of it's children disgruntled and fighting in between. This will weaken the agenda that Modi has and gives the foreign powers easy fault line to expose further. I don't live in a bubble bro apparently you are
                        Except the problem is that the 60% are not united behind one language. It is fractured into many different groups.

As you stated, Hindi is being spread across India by people in search of employment or business opportunities while the other way around it is not happening for other language tells me that Hindi pretty much has the strongest chance of all languages to emerge as truly a defacto national language.

Comment

Forcing him to speak and communicate in English is just as equivalent as forcing others to speak Hindi. Do note that Hindi is recognized and accepted as a national language. It would be one thing to speak in Marathi and demand everyone to speak Marathi or even that matter, Sanskrit. But Modi is not. He is using one of the recognized national language.
                          Come on bro , who said anything about Modi should speak in English ? Hindi is recognized and accepted as a national language only by the Hindi speaking populace and not by others. Did we ever say everyone should speak in Tamil ? We are all for him speaking in Hindi , I appreciate him for it. But him making his ministers and his office to let know of the country whatever decisions he or his government makes primarily in Hindi is as good as considering us as being refugees from another country.

Comment

Except the problem is that the 60% are not united behind one language. It is fractured into many different groups.

As you stated, Hindi is being spread across India by people in search of employment or business opportunities while the other way around it is not happening for other language tells me that Hindi pretty much has the strongest chance of all languages to emerge as truly a defacto national language.
                            Now how about this, for the greater good of humanity as a whole , let us all forget our regional/ 'national' languages and use English as the only language, as almost in any recognizable country in the map English will help you ? We will all be able to prosper and abolish hunger and whatnot ?

Just because the rest of the population speaks different language who said they are not united, they are united when it comes to what they need. So ? Try to impose Hindi as the defacto language and see the uproar and instability that creates within India. We should have been a Federal Union of India rather than a republic of India , giving equal opportunity to everyone
                            Last edited by commander; 19 Jun 14,, 21:47.

Comment

Now how about this, for the greater good of humanity as a whole , let us all forget our regional/ 'national' languages and use English as the only language, as almost in any recognizable country in the map English will help you ? We will all be able to prosper and abolish hunger and whatnot ?

Just because the rest of the population speaks different language who said they are not united, they are united when it comes to what they need. So ? Try to impose Hindi as the defacto language and see the uproar and instability that creates within India. We should have been a Federal Union of India rather than a republic of India , giving equal opportunity to everyone
                              No one is imposing Hindi as the de factor language. Several factors are doing it for you whether you like it or not. It is like when OOE was saying that everybody in Tibet is learning Han, not Tibetan, not because they are forced to but because they have to in order to succeed or get ahead.

Over time, people will settle on a language. That may be English or something else. We do not know but since you pointed out a trend where Hindi is being spread across India means that it has the strongest chance (not that i am saying it will happen, but a probability) that it will emerge as the de facto language.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                                Sorry not sure what you were getting at, but if you meant the lives that were lost then it was during the 1960's during the massive protest across TN.

In 1965, a full-scale riot broke out in the southern city of Madurai between the pro-Hindi block and anti-Hindi agitators. The riot soon spread to other parts of the State and continued unabated for two months. The violence claimed at least 500 lives. As a result of the agitation, the Three-Language policy was scrapped and Hindi was eliminated from the curriculum. The State witnessed similar anti-Hindi protests in 1963, 1967 and 1986.
                                Source
                                Last edited by commander; 19 Jun 14,, 22:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X