Islamist Militants Take Mosul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
    I didn't say we needed them, I said we could live with the result, Iran is not going to embargo the oil. Her social welfare programs are expensive and she needs to get oil to market. But raproachment with Iran has all sorts of benefits for us. There is a reason we propped up the Shah in his dreams of regional hegemony. Those reasons still exist
    Not at the cost of Iran being a nuclear power or substantially increasing the size of Iran. In that case those "benefits" disappear real fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      You mean something like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37167[/ATTACH]
      What's to stop ISIS from flowing down over the border into Saudi Arabia soon as they hit the Shia break water?

Take the 1 west from Ramadi then down the 21 and west again along the 22 and you're in Saudi Arabia in about 2 hours.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ti...ed1cf1b147f599

Comment

• My humble suggestion to the west. Do nothing.

Stay back.Let the lot fight. There is enough gunpowder and enough men on both sides.

This cannot be stopped until all the gunpowder is depleted.

If Iran wants, allow it to bomb ISIS. If Saudis want to stop Iran from doing it, encourage them to send in their AF.

Till then look at the bright side. USAF and USN would be saving tons of previous fuel!

Once the dust settles, we will definitely have sensible people left, who would have been cured of the religious war wet dreams.

Comment

• n21,

Once the dust settles, we will definitely have sensible people left
          hahahhahaha this is the -Middle East- you're talking about. sensible people, really? they're the first to get gunned down most of the time.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
            n21,

hahahhahaha this is the -Middle East- you're talking about. sensible people, really? they're the first to get gunned down most of the time.
            Now that I agree with.

Comment

n21,

You have a point. I hope the blood-letting brings in some sense.

And if only the ones with guns survive,

then Over to USAF. No worries about collateral damage.

Comment

n21,

Just maybe after several rounds of mass murder and millions of deaths, people step back and realize the futility of it....for a while. Like the religious wars in Europe were followed by the Age of Reason; the slaughter in two world wars lead to the pacifism we see in Europe these days.

Comment

• I can't see the west doing nothing. If ISIS has land, they get money. This money would be laundered to countless terrorist organizations, including the 'less extreme' Al Qaeda. The west needs to hope for a containment policy. Maybe step up talks with Iran and convince them to send more than 1,500 troops? Saudi Arabia maybe? Even if SA and ISIS share the Sunni factor, Saudis would see the potential threat of a spread of the conflict.

Comment

• Originally posted by n21 View Post
                    My humble suggestion to the west. Do nothing.

Stay back.Let the lot fight. There is enough gunpowder and enough men on both sides.

This cannot be stopped until all the gunpowder is depleted.
                    That was the Syria strategy I believe...

Comment

• New US embassy in Baghdad (parts still under construction) in the heavily fortified Green Zone

Reportedly, 100 additional Marines and 50 contractors are being deployed to the US embassy in Baghdad.
                      sigpic

Comment

• overall i agree with the stated US strategy. condition wholesale assistance on major reforms. if maliki doesn't agree to them, then pinpoint strikes at high value targets, particularly the anti-US types, ie the somalia/yemen strategy.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Does ISIS have high value targets? I mean, how does the US tell the difference between a malicious terrorist leader and a real pissed off Sunni tribe leader? I think Iraq deserves a new strategy.

Comment

• Citanon,

The Saudi Army and National Guard > the Iraqi Army.

That is what will keep ISIS from rolling south.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Sir,so you see the Saudis getting involved.Makes two of us.

But I'm quite curious about their army.It has plenty of Western gear and training,but absent the Western technical expertise they're junk.When it comes to fighting qualities,I'm at a loss.
                              They can always count on mercenaries,just as the Emiratis created a mercenary btn 3 years ago,but mercs become combat ineffective quickly.

Them vs. the Iranians would be quite a sight.Equipment quality vs men quality.
                              Those who know don't speak
                              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                                Sir,so you see the Saudis getting involved.Makes two of us.

But I'm quite curious about their army.It has plenty of Western gear and training,but absent the Western technical expertise they're junk.When it comes to fighting qualities,I'm at a loss.
                                They can always count on mercenaries,just as the Emiratis created a mercenary btn 3 years ago,but mercs become combat ineffective quickly.

Them vs. the Iranians would be quite a sight.Equipment quality vs men quality.
                                I believe the Saudis get a good amount of advising. SANG especially.

Comment

Working...
                                X