No announcement yet.

The "VA"! Another example of where one word describes it all! "ADMINISTRATION"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps it would help if instead of handing out college loans to people seeking masters in neolithic basket weaving, the Govt provided college assistance to people working to become doctors and nurses and required them to serve in the VA system for a number of years in return? Romney wouldn't be a bad choice, I don't know that he has expressed any interest or opinions in the VA system or its' problems. He does have experience with turning broken corporations around, but that is in the private sector- the experience may not carry over to the VA. He also has the "health care reform" in Massachusetts that he helped usher in, but you would probably get as many arguments that that didn't work out as you would get that it was a good plan, if not more.
    Maybe Charlie Baker from Massachusetts would be a better idea.

Comment

Don, from what I understand medical schools are chock full and accrediting new one takes a lot of time. Besides it takes 10 years to become a doctor. Hospitals are turning to super nurses who can perform some things that only doctors were allowed to do before. That ought to help somewhat.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Perhaps it would help if instead of handing out college loans to people seeking masters in neolithic basket weaving, the Govt provided college assistance to people working to become doctors and nurses and required them to serve in the VA system for a number of years in return?

The VA already does that....but again, the way the budget is written, they cannot offer salaries which attract many takers.

As for using the VA...while I am eligible the only VA benefit I have used has been my VA home loan. While I am a dinged up vet I leave the VA benefits to those who need. I have a good healthcare plan through employment. There are enough guys here in Virginia who need to benefits more than I do so I don't clog the system.

There are several Iraq & Afghanistan vets in my office who make use of the McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond and they all say the care is escellent, exceeding what they received in military hospitals.

That said, my dad was 20% disabled vet due to massive sores on his feet and chest he got from bathing in streams on New Caledonia in World War 2. He gave him good care until we moved to Buffalo in 1970 when he a new VA doctor cured him with a new treatment. After that he moved to private health care plans until he turned 65.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          [B]
          As for using the VA...while I am eligible the only VA benefit I have used has been my VA home loan. While I am a dinged up vet I leave the VA benefits to those who need. I have a good healthcare plan through employment. There are enough guys here in Virginia who need to benefits more than I do so I don't clog the system.
          I applaud anyone who doesn't need a Federal benefit and doesn't insist on getting it anyway.

You're not taking VA health care because you can. But I and a lot of other folks no longer have that choice. I only joined the VA health care system after I turned 60 and had become self-employed. It was either that or Medicare. Before that I was ineligible because my income was too high. I hear the VA has since lowered the income restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
            I applaud anyone who doesn't need a Federal benefit and doesn't insist on getting it anyway.

You're not taking VA health care because you can. But I and a lot of other folks no longer have that choice. I only joined the VA health care system after I turned 60 and had become self-employed. It was either that or Medicare. Before that I was ineligible because my income was too high. I hear the VA has since lowered the income restrictions.
            JAD,

If I came off as judgemental I apologize. It was not my intention.

I am fortunate in that way.

I also believe that anyone who is VA eligible converts to Medicare at age 65 to help clear the pipeline.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              JAD,

If I came off as judgemental I apologize. It was not my intention.
              Objectively speaking, you were right.

I also believe that anyone who is VA eligible converts to Medicare at age 65 to help clear the pipeline.
              That's a thought worth considering, but starting over is the problem. In the end, the $$ all come from the same source. Medicare has to give providers a reasonable profit, whereas VA doles out health care at cost plus co-pays, at least for me.

Actually, I have thought of going Medicare and might have to when I move to Texas. The nearest VA hospital will be 235 miles away, although the clinic at NAS Corpus Christie will to the routine annuals.

Comment

I asked the question. Then forgot about the thread.

I have a PCM through my insurance and also use the VA.

I only use the VA for my Combat Related Service Connected Disabilities. If you don't keep the VA up to date it is a major hassle to get anything done.

I have been in and out of the system for over 10 years. And overall it sucks. Its not just the administration side. But the Drs and Nurses also. I wont even start on the compensation side of the equation.

I have had 1 Doctor during the whole time that cared and gave every patient quality care. She is gone now. In her place I now have a Dr that is in his mid 70s. Doesn't know how to use the computer, Requires a hand held magnifying glass to read any lab reports.And had not practiced for 15 years till now. Why did he become a Dr with the VA? I asked him. Seems he bought some property nearby and a
                2 year contract with the VA will pay it off. His attitude reflects that fact.

99% of the people in my area, at the MCL and VFW, will tell you that the VAs goal is to yank you around until you either give up and leave the system or die.

The VA is overwhelmed and I think part of the solution is to look at who should receive care through the VA system.

Should it be anyone who served? Anyone that was injured in service? Or injured combat vets only?

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  I asked the question. Then forgot about the thread.

I have been in and out of the system for over 10 years. And overall it sucks.
                  Grape:

Funny how each of us judges VA care from our own experiences. What you describe comes no where near my experience, but I don't doubt for a minute what you say. I had a prostate biopsy 10 days ago, my third. They're never any fun, especially the days after. Well, this time I started going downhill a couple of days later--fever, puking, and shaking like an old Model T. I called the medical center in Martinsburg and they told me to go to the emergency room; they'd have me on the computer for immediate treatment. My wife drove me. In 30 minutes they determined I had a massive infection and minutes later I was in a bed in ICU hooked up to a drip. Teams of nurses, techs and doctors all came by checking this and that and keeping me informed of what was happening. I was in a room with 3 other vets and they were getting the same attention. It was a marvel of organization. Anyway, 2 days later I persuaded them to discharge me and I'm well on the mend. Since then I've been scheduled with 3 more follow-up appointments. The best news was the biopsy was negative. I think I'm done with biopsies.

It seems to me the serious problems with the VA aren't VA-wide.

Should it be anyone who served? Anyone that was injured in service? Or injured combat vets only?
                  I've often asked myself that question. In 2 tours I was never injured, never even saw combat. I got in the VA system by accident. Back about 12 years ago, I had gone to a private hospital emergency room and racked up a pretty big bill. The insurance company wanted to pay only a small part of it, so some gal in billing at the hospital seeing I was a vet, said she could submit the bill to the VA and see what happens. As it turned out, the VA not only covered the bill but put me on its rolls. I've never regretted it. But like I said, maybe getting assigned to the right VA med center makes all the difference. Once I had a qualm of conscience about not being an inured vet and asked my doctor what she thought about that and she said that if the VA only treated wounded vets, it would have to close down 75% of its system, because as many injured vets as there are, there aren't enough to keep that all the VA med centers open.

Comment

JAD, Gunny,

Don't feell bad, someone made it clear, so you don't have to worry:

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42324.pdf
                    Attached Files
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      JAD, Gunny,

Don't feell bad, someone made it clear, so you don't have to worry:

[ATTACH]37215[/ATTACH]

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42324.pdf

That's nice of you, Dok. You know your way around the web. :)

Comment

It comes with a curse. Let's you be careless about info.
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                          Grape:

Funny how each of us judges VA care from our own experiences. What you describe comes no where near my experience, but I don't doubt for a minute what you say. I had a prostate biopsy 10 days ago, my third. They're never any fun, especially the days after. Well, this time I started going downhill a couple of days later--fever, puking, and shaking like an old Model T. I called the medical center in Martinsburg and they told me to go to the emergency room; they'd have me on the computer for immediate treatment. My wife drove me. In 30 minutes they determined I had a massive infection and minutes later I was in a bed in ICU hooked up to a drip. Teams of nurses, techs and doctors all came by checking this and that and keeping me informed of what was happening. I was in a room with 3 other vets and they were getting the same attention. It was a marvel of organization. Anyway, 2 days later I persuaded them to discharge me and I'm well on the mend. Since then I've been scheduled with 3 more follow-up appointments. The best news was the biopsy was negative. I think I'm done with biopsies.

It seems to me the serious problems with the VA aren't VA-wide.
                          I agree that the problems are not VA wide. Many of the people I talk to came from other places. This is Florida, no one was born and raised here Some places have outstanding care, while others are horrible.

With all that I said, the VA does a lot of good things. My Healthy Vet web site. Where you can Make and track your appointments. Also see the results of your lab test. Great thing.
                          The computerized health records are great. I can go into any VA facility in the country, and they can pull up my latest health records. BTW, DOD can access them to.

Once I had a qualm of conscience about not being an inured vet and asked my doctor what she thought about that and she said that if the VA only treated wounded vets, it would have to close down 75% of its system, because as many injured vets as there are, there aren't enough to keep that all the VA med centers open.
                          I sort of had the same conversation with my VA doc. (The good one). I don't see the VA for things that are not service connected. She harped on me all the time about how I should let the VA be my primary care facility and handle everything. By not being seen at the VA they lose funding because they are not generating appointments.

But I get way better care through Tricare.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            I sort of had the same conversation with my VA doc. (The good one). I don't see the VA for things that are not service connected. She harped on me all the time about how I should let the VA be my primary care facility and handle everything. By not being seen at the VA they lose funding because they are not generating appointments.

But I get way better care through Tricare.
                            If you limited VA care just to service connected issues, it would transform the VA completely from a chain of medical centers with satellite clinics to a small collection of highly specialized treatment facilities. And what about the injured vet's ordinary medical care? Do we treat the wound but not the flu? But those are small considerations. The main one is the sense that Uncle Sam will take care of his vets when the time comes. I had private health insurance all the time I worked in the government and for a fairly long time afterwards. It wasn't until I was nearly eligible for Medicare that I enrolled. So, in terms of cost, it's all coming out of the same federal pot. The difference to me is the vet-centric care VA gives: No crying babies, no complaining patients, etc.; just vets who come at their care with a residual of the discipline they knew as service members and a staff that pretty much respects where all these old codgers come from.

By the way, do your Tricare records get melded in with your VA records?

Comment

Working...
                            X