US protests French Minstral-class sale to Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    They also say noone ever expressed worries to them over the deal. Not in 2009 when they negotiated, nor in 2010 when it was sealed. Considering the time-frame and fresh memories of Georgian war it is strange.

well, I would dispute that completely as new NATO members and NATO aspirants made it pretty clear to them. There was no shortage of Defence publications which also expressed concerns. Some of it was around the fact that the French had been completely unsuccessful flogging off Rafale and were prepared to sell anything to create revenue, Domestically there was some issue re whether the State needed to do something about French mil industry and start encouraging some mergers to increase their capital base in the top 10
    Linkeden:
    http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
    http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

NATO should buy and position them in Scotland or Norway for contingent Artic ops.

Just a massive "F.U.".
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

They also say noone ever expressed worries to them over the deal. Not in 2009 when they negotiated, nor in 2010 when it was sealed. Considering the time-frame and fresh memories of Georgian war it is strange.
        Not really, given the inept way this administration has conducted foreign policy for five years and counting.

Comment

DoD had expressed concerns multiple times. However, attempts to warm US-Russia relations (a fresh start with Obama and Medvedev) took precedent.

But in all honesty I don't see how this is significant in the long term. Yes, some tech-transfer does take place but it's not as if the Russians don't have this technology. They probably have it, but we have seen how stupendous their shipyards are at cranking out anything. So they get 2+2 LHDs. They still have to build the majority of the last two on their own (expected delivery- who the hell knows). Plus, to NATO these are just massive targets to be sunk if it ever comes to blows. I'd be more concerned if these were AAW Frigates than these Mistrals. Their entire AAW capability relies upon some Slavas and their one Kirov split across two oceans. I'd be scared as hell if I was a Russian sailor on a Mistral and you told me to sortie beyond land-based AAW systems.

Comment

Working...
          X