CA is now SHALL ISSUE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA is now SHALL ISSUE!!!

I never thought I would live to see this day.

Ninth Circuit strikes California’s restrictive rule against licensed carry of handguns

:)
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    I heard that. I also heard that they will hire a single blind deaf mute to process all the paperwork for the entire state.

You just know that California will take this to the next level and actually defend themselves this time.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Progress is progress. Maybe Massachusetts will follow suit.
      "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Massachusetts does hate to play second fiddle to Cali. But that's usually when it comes to passing idiotic laws, not sensible ones.

Comment

So, you ditching that yellow monstrosity and coming back to owning guns or not
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
            So, you ditching that yellow monstrosity and coming back to owning guns or not
            Never stopped buying guns, just took a short break. I bought 3 rifles for myself for Christmas. Then another revolver because it was on sale. They're all 22s, so I went from having a single 22 to 5.

Actually one of the rifles is for my friend's kids. I want to teach them how to shoot. It's a Crickett. I had to buy it because it was on sale for $110.

Comment

Never stopped buying guns, just took a short break. I bought 3 rifles for myself for Christmas. Then another revolver because it was on sale. They're all 22s, so I went from having a single 22 to 5.

Actually one of the rifles is for my friend's kids. I want to teach them how to shoot. It's a Crickett. I had to buy it because it was on sale for $110.

Gasp. A straw purchase!? They will hang you for sure.

I prefer a bolt action to teach first timers. I almost bought one for my son but my Ruger can do double duty and I bought him a pellet gun instead. That will teach him everything he needs to know without having to forage for ear plugs. I might have to buy a second ruger 10-22 though.

Comment

Guys, now that Kalifornia is going to start issuing concealed carry licenses and I'm no longer living in graduate student housing I'm thinking of applying for a permit and buying a hand gun to start off my collection. This being California I don't plan to be actually carrying the gun with me very often, just want the permit there in case I feel the need to carry for some reason in the future.

My firearms experience is limited. I did quite a bit of indoor range shooting back when I was in college but stopped in grad school due to the expense involved. So, I need lots of practice to get into "shape". Thus, this gun will be used for lots of range practice, home defense, and the very occasional concealed carry if my county actually grants me a permit.

Weighing the different needs, I'm thinking of getting a 9mm Glock with night sights. 9mm because of the lower cost of the bullets vs. .45 cal and .40 cal. Questions for you folks:
                1. Is a Glock 19 the right size? I'm about 6 ft, 185 lb. Medium sized hands. The full sized Glocks feel OK in my hands but I have not shot more compact Glock models before.
                2. Any downside to getting night sights?
                3. Is it worth while getting a Gen 4 Glock for the 9mm? It's possible in California but we have to go through some ridiculous rigmarole.
                4. Any good ranges in SoCal to do more realistic practice shooting than the in door ranges?
                5. While I'm OK with the ergonomics of the Glock, I actually like the 1911's ergonomics much better. My favorite so far was a 1911 DAO I tried a few year's back with a very smooth low weight trigger pull (no way I'd want to have that on a self-defense gun though due to safety considerations in stressful circumstances). However, considering how much I want to practice I don't want to pay for .45cal bullets. Are there any guns you guys might recommend for those who like the ergonomics of a 1911 but need a 9mm caliber? My budget is about $500.
                6. Recommendations on good hosters for concealed carry?
                7. How much difference are there between different brands of ammo? Any brands I should avoid or look for due to reliability reasons?
                8. Lastly, are there any worthwhile accessories? Are aiming lights useful at all?

Thanks!
                Last edited by citanon; 02 Mar 14,, 00:31.

Comment

Surely somebody has some pertinent experience and advice?

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                    Guys, now that Kalifornia is going to start issuing concealed carry licenses and I'm no longer living in graduate student housing I'm thinking of applying for a permit and buying a hand gun to start off my collection. This being California I don't plan to be actually carrying the gun with me very often, just want the permit there in case I feel the need to carry for some reason in the future.

My firearms experience is limited. I did quite a bit of indoor range shooting back when I was in college but stopped in grad school due to the expense involved. So, I need lots of practice to get into "shape". Thus, this gun will be used for lots of range practice, home defense, and the very occasional concealed carry if my county actually grants me a permit.

Weighing the different needs, I'm thinking of getting a 9mm Glock with night sights. 9mm because of the lower cost of the bullets vs. .45 cal and .40 cal. Questions for you folks:
                    1. Is a Glock 19 the right size? I'm about 6 ft, 185 lb. Medium sized hands. The full sized Glocks feel OK in my hands but I have not shot more compact Glock models before.
                    3. Is it worth while getting a Gen 4 Glock for the 9mm? It's possible in California but we have to go through some ridiculous rigmarole.
                    4. Any good ranges in SoCal to do more realistic practice shooting than the in door ranges?
                    5. While I'm OK with the ergonomics of the Glock, I actually like the 1911's ergonomics much better. My favorite so far was a 1911 DAO I tried a few year's back with a very smooth low weight trigger pull (no way I'd want to have that on a self-defense gun though due to safety considerations in stressful circumstances). However, considering how much I want to practice I don't want to pay for .45cal bullets. Are there any guns you guys might recommend for those who like the ergonomics of a 1911 but need a 9mm caliber? My budget is about $500.
                    7. How much difference are there between different brands of ammo? Any brands I should avoid or look for due to reliability reasons?
                    8. Lastly, are there any worthwhile accessories? Are aiming lights useful at all?

Thanks!

I am guessing you will have to take a class to get your permit. The teacher should be able to handle those questions and more. Don't be in a big hurry to buy a gun until you have more experience. Get your hands on a bunch of different makes and models and see for yourself what feels comfortable. Hit a lot of gun shops and gun shows and don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions while you are there. There is also the matter of SAO vs SA/DA triggers. A glock for instance is DAO…same pull each and every time you pull the trigger. You will find that you will shoot some makes better than others and some will be more comfortable to hold/shoot. If a 1911 is better suited then perhaps you should lean to one of those. In a stressful situation you can't be fighting your intuition with a gun's incompatible ergonomics. Note there are a lot of "carry" guns on the market but not all are good shooters, some being a complete pain to shoot. a 9MM is a good round but if you are california bound to a smaller magazine a .45 might be a better choice. That will depend on you and the particular gun you end up choosing. Keep in mind that a carry gun must be comfortable to carry, be well concealed and absolutely reliable. My opinion is that aiming devices are not of much use for carrying. They add weight and bulk. Most concealed shootings are at close to very close range so a light will be of little use but it will give away your position. Lastly, You have to have a mindset to carry. That means you have to take a ton of crap from a-holes that you meet but if you feel a need to use the gun you need to be able to kill someone. If you hesitate or are inept the chances are good that the criminal will take it from you and use it against you and your loved ones. You also have to train a lot. If, God forbid, the occasion should happen it is the training and muscle memory that will save your life. Speaking of which. the training class you get to be able to carry is insufficient. Look for and take a class suited to your needs. They are not cheap but what you learn is more valuable than you can ever imagine.

Comment

Surely somebody has some pertinent experience and advice?
                      Sigh. I have a virus and am a slow typist on a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        Sigh. I have a virus and am a slow typist on a good day.
                        Ouch! Thanks for taking the effort to type! :)

Comment

Thanks!
                          Glock 19 should be the right size or a tad on the small side for you, depends on if you prefer large fat guns or smaller, slimmer guns.

Bad thing about night sights is they have a half life of about 7 years. They die in about 12 to 13 years, as in they cease to have functional glow. Oh yeah, they cost extra too.

I don't like Glocks much, although I do have a G19 and a G36. Both are Gen 3. Never tried a Gen 4 though.

There aren't that many 9mm 1911s on the roster in CA. Any that comes up for sale at Calgun are minimum $650.

There aren't any specific factory loads you should avoid, that I know of. Of course some guns are a little picky. Some factory ammo run lighter and some run hotter. Usually a Glock will take just about anything. I don't know about 1911s. They could be picky. And these are restricted to ball rounds. Guns are usually more picky about HP rounds. People say you should fire at least a few mags worth of your intended self defense HP ammo to make sure your gun likes them before you settle on one. I have ZERO experience with HP rounds. Can't afford them and my range doesn't allow them.

I don't care for hanging a bunch of stuff on my pistol. I think it interferes with operating the gun and changes the balance of the gun.

Comment

Thanks!
                            1. For what you've listed (range, home and occasional carry) the Glock 19 should be okay. I'm not a big fan of semi auto pistols, but have seen nothing bad about Glocks, and the G19, while a smaller version of the 17 is still a decent sized gun to learn to shoot on.
                            2. I've heard on the internet that with night sights you will light yourself up from the sights. I don't have night sights, and this sounds as realistic as bigfoot - so I'd go with them.
                            3. I wouldn't go through the rigamarole for a new Gen 4. In fact, I'd peruse the used counter for a Glock 17 or 19 at a discounted price if I were to be dead set on a Glock - you can also look for similar 9mms from Sig, Taurus, S&W, Beretta, etc. All these makers are solid, but you'll hear on the internet that they are not as good as the writer's favorite for a vareity of reasons.
                            4. Don't know - check with gun shops in your area
                            5. You should be able to find a 9mm 1911 from RIA, Springfield, etc. Again, look in the used cases - guns don't need to be brand new to work great. My last two guns I bought were made 100 and 80 years ago - and I have less trouble than with my brand new S&W.
                            6. If you aren't going to carry too often at first - get a Don Hume JIT Slide for outside the waistband carry. Quality at a cheap price. And wear a larger shirt (Hawaiian shirts aren't just for fat guys) to cover. As you carry more, you can (and will) add holsters and styles for different occasions. I wear: Outside the Belt, pocket, shoulder rigs, and in the boot - depending on where I am and what I'm wearing.
                            7. Use quality rounds that feed well for defense. Buy crappy rounds that jam like crazy for the range, they'll help you develop muscle memory to clear jams.
                            8. I'm not a fan. Most of my guns are old enough to drink, though. If you've got a rail, I see no reason for putting a light on it for home use. For carry, keep it simple.

This is just my opinion on the internet - it is worth what you just paid for it.

Good luck, and tell us what you wind up with.
                            "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
                              2. I've heard on the internet that with night sights you will light yourself up from the sights. I don't have night sights, and this sounds as realistic as bigfoot - so I'd go with them.
                              +1 The person who spends the time and effort to become a point shooter who can put multiple rounds into a pie plate sized target quickly from a variety of stances, ranges and lighting conditions will have an edge in a gun fight over the guy who needs to use his sights. Its a pistol not a long gun- speed plus pie plate accuracy is the winning combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X