Super Bowl XLVIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
    We should all have the shame of being the starting QB in the Superbowl.
    Of course, but with so many years under Manning's belt, a player develops a pattern. A pattern that only brings attention at Super Bowl time.

Peyton's worst game of the season came in Week 12 against the New England Patriots when he threw for just 150 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. It was cold that day—22 degrees at kickoff to be exact. It was clear Manning was affected by the cold a bit.

Here is a little history of the Peyton Paradox to chew on, compliments of ESPN:

The Colts knocked Denver from the ranks of the undefeated on Sunday in as exciting a contest as football produces. At 6-1 and scoring 43 points a game, the Broncos will be fine. But the night produced a reminder about Peyton Manning: Though one of the best ever at his position, he often comes up short in big games.

Call it the Peyton Paradox.

Here is the key indicator of the Peyton Paradox: Manning is 160-71 in the regular season but 9-11 in the postseason. Any quarterback might take a win or loss here and there, by good or bad fortune beyond his control. But Manning has played so many times over so many years that his numbers seem to represent a pattern. And those numbers show Manning's performance declines in the playoffs, when the pressure is on.

Still, the Peyton Paradox is vexing. Eight of the 12 times Manning has led his charges to the postseason, they've bowed out in the opening round. Four times, Manning-led teams lost their playoff opener at home following the reward of a bye week. Five of Manning's 11 postseason losses were to the team that went on to win the Super Bowl that season -- in other words, to the league's best team. Still, both Manning and his coaches seem to develop certain "yips" in the playoffs.

Manning grew up in Louisiana, attended college in Tennessee, enrolled in a conference in which nearly all dates were warm weather, played his college bowl games at warm sites and in the NFL has played much more often in domes or good weather than outdoors on blustery days. Indoors or in mild weather in the postseason, Manning is 9-7. In the cold in the postseason, he's 0-4. Perhaps there was a reason, other than love of fresh air, that Indianapolis kept its dome open on Sunday night, with outdoor temperatures 52 degrees.

Family genes cannot be the explanation for Peyton's aversion to cold, since brother Eli is 8-3 in the playoffs with a cold-weather team and beat the Packers in the postseason at Green Bay when the kickoff temperature was below zero. But whatever the reason, Peyton's performance falters when it's cold -- and the postseason is when it's cold. Kickoff for the recent Baltimore at Denver playoff game, lost by the Broncos in a shocker, was 13 degrees.

Call it the Peyton Paradox: Why do Peyton Manning's teams struggle in big games? - ESPN

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
      Of course, but with so many years under Manning's belt, a player develops a pattern. A pattern that only brings attention at Super Bowl time.

Peyton's worst game of the season came in Week 12 against the New England Patriots when he threw for just 150 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. It was cold that day—22 degrees at kickoff to be exact. It was clear Manning was affected by the cold a bit.

Here is a little history of the Peyton Paradox to chew on, compliments of ESPN:

The Colts knocked Denver from the ranks of the undefeated on Sunday in as exciting a contest as football produces. At 6-1 and scoring 43 points a game, the Broncos will be fine. But the night produced a reminder about Peyton Manning: Though one of the best ever at his position, he often comes up short in big games.

Call it the Peyton Paradox.

Here is the key indicator of the Peyton Paradox: Manning is 160-71 in the regular season but 9-11 in the postseason. Any quarterback might take a win or loss here and there, by good or bad fortune beyond his control. But Manning has played so many times over so many years that his numbers seem to represent a pattern. And those numbers show Manning's performance declines in the playoffs, when the pressure is on.

Still, the Peyton Paradox is vexing. Eight of the 12 times Manning has led his charges to the postseason, they've bowed out in the opening round. Four times, Manning-led teams lost their playoff opener at home following the reward of a bye week. Five of Manning's 11 postseason losses were to the team that went on to win the Super Bowl that season -- in other words, to the league's best team. Still, both Manning and his coaches seem to develop certain "yips" in the playoffs.

Manning grew up in Louisiana, attended college in Tennessee, enrolled in a conference in which nearly all dates were warm weather, played his college bowl games at warm sites and in the NFL has played much more often in domes or good weather than outdoors on blustery days. Indoors or in mild weather in the postseason, Manning is 9-7. In the cold in the postseason, he's 0-4. Perhaps there was a reason, other than love of fresh air, that Indianapolis kept its dome open on Sunday night, with outdoor temperatures 52 degrees.

Family genes cannot be the explanation for Peyton's aversion to cold, since brother Eli is 8-3 in the playoffs with a cold-weather team and beat the Packers in the postseason at Green Bay when the kickoff temperature was below zero. But whatever the reason, Peyton's performance falters when it's cold -- and the postseason is when it's cold. Kickoff for the recent Baltimore at Denver playoff game, lost by the Broncos in a shocker, was 13 degrees.

Call it the Peyton Paradox: Why do Peyton Manning's teams struggle in big games? - ESPN
      I love it when "experts" like ESPN throw out the whole team when making such stories because we all know that a single man can play all by themselves. Didn't Manning have 21 other players on the field? How did they play that day? What about coaches? Even so, what happened years ago with another team has little to do with how dominating Denver have been in THIS years playoffs.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        I love it when "experts" like ESPN throw out the whole team when making such stories because we all know that a single man can play all by themselves. Didn't Manning have 21 other players on the field? How did they play that day? What about coaches? Even so, what happened years ago with another team has little to do with how dominating Denver have been in THIS years playoffs.
        Okay, okay, the trophy already has the Broncos name on it and Peyton as the MVP. Happy now?

Geesh, I was only pointing out that even though the Broncos are favored, your man Manning is going to have some struggles. Not only against the weather, but all of the "other players" he will be up against...their stats are just outstanding.

I wish you all the luck, and I will post my anticipated score before the game is played. :)

Comment

Okay, okay, the trophy already has the Broncos name on it and Peyton as the MVP. Happy now?

Geesh, I was only pointing out that even though the Broncos are favored, your man Manning is going to have some struggles. Not only against the weather, but all of the "other players" he will be up against...their stats are just outstanding.

I wish you all the luck, and I will post my anticipated score before the game is played. :)

LMAO. I don't have a dog in this fight. I am only hoping it will be a good game worth watching. Honestly I would normally rooted for Seattle but too much of their fan base is obnoxious and as long as Pete the cheat Carroll is coach, I wouldn't give the Seahawks the time of day.

Comment

It's going to be a great game ! My prediction is Seahawks- 27-24. ;)

Comment

First time in donkey's years that the game has coincided with a Chinese New Year holiday, so I'll be able to watch it without leaving at half-time to go to work !
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

It's going to be a great game ! My prediction is Seahawks- 27-24. ;)
                I'd be stunned if they were able to even score 27 points. Away from their home base and against a top notch team they are not so invincible. Luck scored 34 points against them and didn't have the defense that Denver has.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  I'd be stunned if they were able to even score 27 points. Away from their home base and against a top notch team they are not so invincible. Luck scored 34 points against them and didn't have the defense that Denver has.
                  Well then, what is your score prediction?

Comment

Well then, what is your score prediction?
                    I'm not a gambler so I have never made score predictions. I only say who I would like to see win even if it is my own team. Neither team here is mine so I would like to see Denver win no matter what the final score. No who has the potential of scoring points in a shoot out then that would be Manning.

Comment

They said there will be a live footage. Hope I wont fall a sleep during commercials (I have already seen them).
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        I'm not a gambler so I have never made score predictions. I only say who I would like to see win even if it is my own team. Neither team here is mine so I would like to see Denver win no matter what the final score. No who has the potential of scoring points in a shoot out then that would be Manning.
                        Looking back it seams that goal of many teams was simply to play in the super bowl. Once there all the hoopla bright lights and distractions ruined the actual game. I would take a division rivalry game any day over a super bowl. Not worth betting on IMO as you are just not seeing two teams willing to bring their "A" game for most Super bowls.

Comment

Woke up at 6:45 AM today, worked until 6:30. Went to Jerusalem for my grandma's birthday, just got back now. Kickoff is at 1:30 AM, in just under 2 hours. Game will probably be over at 5:30 AM or so. Gonna be tough staying up this year to watch the whole game.

So, being that the Giants aren't in the game, and there are no Giants rivals to root against, who should I be rooting for this year? Any suggestions?
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I know Yeller will be all for Seahawks. Hoping for a sammich.
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Wow, what a way to start off the game!
                              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

double post
                                Last edited by sated buddha; 03 Feb 14,, 00:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X