Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Ronald Reagan dosing during Tsunami relief effort

Hey all...

Did anyone catch the article in the NY Post on Dec 22 about the Reagan getting dosed repeatedly when they were off the coast of Japan downwind from the Fukushima plume? Here's a linky, the story doesn't say all that much...

Navy sailors have radiation sickness after Japan rescue | New York Post

There's some Youtube videos that are interesting that were taken during all this as well by crew members. One video shows some of the Radcon screening from the single flight deck access (through the forecastle) back into the ship. You can see pancake probes being used for screening, a few times during the vid you can hear the counters saturating... Looks like they had some beta/gamma detectors as well but I couldn't tell if those were going off or not.

Radiation Scans - YouTube

Another vid was of the CO on the 1MC talking about the contaminated ventilation system on the ship. From the content of this announcement, you could get the impression ship's force hadn't buttoned up or performed any NBC shipwide drills in quite a while. If they had problems setting Circle W that's not good. Granted, almost impossible to do during flight ops but the inference was it just hadn't been done....

Radiation scare....stating the plan - YouTube

There's another vid by the same user of the CO talking about contaminated ships potable water. Sounds like they took radioactive water into all four evaps and then into ship's distribution, and had to shut down all potable water on-board until they could flush the lines & tanks. There's some other video of the flight deck washdown with soap and brushes after the fact, the thought of the after-Baker scenario with all those contaminated ships comes to mind here....

Aren't the CVN's provisioned with continuous-duty sniffers to be able to tell if they're getting hits from rad sources (not from inside to outside, but outside to inside)? Another crew member was quoted somewhere as saying most of their monitoring equipment wasn't set up... initially...

There wasn't an old thread anywhere I could find on this so I thought I'd throw one up for discussion. Wonder if they went through the drill of sounding the Chemical Alarm, etc etc... when this all started.

Just from the anecdotal reports floating around now, sounds like some of the crew could be starting to see the effects of being downwind from that nasty mess.
Working...
X