• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-117 vs BSL

Attached Files

Engrish please...

Comment

From what I can figure out the Russians have patented a stealth shovel...

Comment

BSL wins.

Can someone tell me what the hell a BSL is before this gets locked?
        Last edited by YellowFever; 28 Dec 13,, 03:02.

Comment

This is apparently a joke about how to kill an F-117. A BSL is short for "Большая сапёрная лопата" or as far as my poor Cyrillic translates it to as "bolsazha sapyehrnaya lopata". Translation- entrenching tool. So it's about whacking the F-117 in indicated places with a shovel to kill it.

I don't get it though.

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
            This is apparently a joke about how to kill an F-117. A BSL is short for "Большая сапёрная лопата" or as far as my poor Cyrillic translates it to as "bolsazha sapyehrnaya lopata". Translation- entrenching tool. So it's about whacking the F-117 in indicated places with a shovel to kill it.

I don't get it though.
            I thought VovaLee was joking but considering his past posts, I'm not sure.

Hmmm....

Comment

Based on advanced Serbian trenching techniques, no doubt.

Comment

All is lost now, they've discovered a way to defeat aircraft no longer in the inventory.
                "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Did the F-117's go to AMARC, or somewhere more secure? I find it hard to believe that they'd park a (still) classified aircraft out in the middle of a desert with minimal security. Maybe a Russian spy could sneak onto the base and try these dastardly techniques out on a defenseless aircraft?
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
                    All is lost now, they've discovered a way to defeat aircraft no longer in the inventory.
                    Only for nearly 6 years, so there's still some hope.

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                    Did the F-117's go to AMARC, or somewhere more secure? I find it hard to believe that they'd park a (still) classified aircraft out in the middle of a desert with minimal security. Maybe a Russian spy could sneak onto the base and try these dastardly techniques out on a defenseless aircraft?
                    From what I've read, they're inside a climate-controlled hanger.

Oh look, at least one is still flying http://www.aroundtherange.blogspot.com/
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post

I don't get it though.

I'd say they consider the shovel the most useful thing in their inventory, in part because it is actually darn handy, and in part because soviet material I guess. The joke here is inflating the functionality of the shovel to absurd levels. No doubt this one was preceded by lists of actual unexpected uses of a shovel, then probably impractical but possible stuff, and from there onwards to moreludicrous stuff and ending up here. Next up will be using the shovel as a baseball bat to smash a nuke back to the states or something.

Bet hey, I'm just speculating.

Edit: Explaining a joke is like disecting a frog, you learn more about it, but it dies in the process.
                      "Football is war."

-Rinus Michels

Comment

The Bone Yard...

...only serves planes in active service, by and large. If the US or one of its allies doesn't use it, or it can't be converted into a Q, I think they generally get the axe and are moved off. I believe the F-111s are being/were liquidated once RAAF disowned them as there were no users to support and no other uses for the airframe. Though apparently B-52Gs were still being disdected there until a week ago, but in that case the ruins have to be left in place for satellite verification, so that's a different process. I assume the F-117s were all broken down after retirement; maybe a couple were saved for future museum use when none of its classified.

EDIT: Apparently not. Though I can't imagine what they save them for.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          Oh look, at least one is still flying The F-117A Nighthawk flies on at Groom Lake!
                          Sounds like they're using them for DACT?
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Sounds like they're using them for DACT?
                            If it were me, I'd use them for testing detection systems and training crews, and DACT. I had no idea they were still flying though, I thought they were being kept in their own little climate-controlled version of AMARC until complete obsolescence (like everything at DM).

Edit: It would be badass if they were being used as a low-observable aggressor squadron.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                              Edit: It would be badass if they were being used as a low-observable aggressor squadron.
                              I'm guessing the RCS of the -117 is comparable to a Chengdu J-20/Shenyang J-31, so they would make excellent adversary aircraft (though they obviously can't manuever like a fifth-gen aircraft).

Wonder what one of those things would look like in camo out on the range?

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X