Doctor who helped track Osama bin Laden 'not a hero': Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor who helped track Osama bin Laden 'not a hero': Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has told the US that Shakil Afridi, the jailed doctor who helped the CIA track al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden, is not a hero and his fate will be decided by the courts.

Foreign secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani said Pakistan had told the US that Afridi was involved in "criminal activities" that violated the laws of the land.

Addressing a news briefing in Washington on Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's ongoing visit to the US, Jilani said the doctor was "not a hero and was facing cases in courts".

Pakistan also told the US that the Lashkar-e-Taiba had been banned and action could be taken against its founder, Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, if substantial evidence is made available, he said.

Responding to questions after the US house committee on foreign affairs demanded the release of Afridi, Jilani said that the Pakistani courts would decide his fate.

The demand for Afridi's release was raised during a meeting between the US house committee and a Pakistani delegation that included finance minister Ishaq Dar, Jilani and Sartaj Aziz, the premier's adviser on foreign affairs and national security.

The two sides discussed matters related to the war on terror, militant groups like the LeT, civil nuclear programme, drone strikes, energy crisis, educational reforms, regional stability and trade, Dawn newspaper reported.

Afridi was arrested shortly after the May 2, 2011 raid by US commandos that killed bin Laden. He was subsequently convicted by a court in the tribal belt on a charge of treason for alleged ties to the Lashkar-e-Islam militant group.

On August 29, a judicial official overturned the 33-year jail term given to Afridi and ruled that the judge in the tribal areas had exceeded his authority when he handed down the sentence last year. The official also ordered a fresh trial.

The US has been pressing Pakistan to release Afridi, who ran a fake vaccination campaign in Abbottabad to gain access to bin Laden's compound.

TimesofIndia
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Courts to decide Afridi's fate, Pakistan tells US

Pakistan has told the US that Shakil Afridi, the doctor who helped the CIA track down former Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, was no hero and that his fate would be decided by the courts, DawnNews reported.

Pakistan's Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani was giving a briefing after a meeting between a US House Committee on Foreign Affairs and a delegation led by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.

Jilani said a high-level delegation from Pakistan would visit the United States on Nov 12.

The meeting which was attended by Pakistan's Federal Finance Minister Senator Ishaq Dar, Foreign Secretary Jilani and Prime Minister's Adviser on Foreign Affairs and National Security Sartaj Aziz discussed matters relating to the "war against terrorism", militant outfits like the Lashkar-i-Taiba (LT), civil nuclear program, drone strikes, energy crisis, educational reforms, regional stability and trade.

During the meeting, the foreign secretary said that the US was told that the LT had already been banned in Pakistan and that action could be taken against Hafiz Saeed if substantial evidence was made available.

Regarding the demand to release Dr Shakil Afridi, Jilani said the US was told that Afridi was no hero and was facing criminal cases, adding that the courts would decide his fate.

Earlier, the BBC Urdu website had reported that United States Representative Edward Royce, a California Republican and Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee had emphasised on Afridi's release during the meeting.

The meeting was also attended by chairman representatives of both the parties in the House and 15 other members.

Afridi was convicted and sentenced to 33 years last year in May for involvement in anti-state activities by a tribal court.

A judicial official overturned the 33-year jail sentence in August this year but Afridi remains in detention.

He is accused of colluding with banned militant outfit Lashkar-i-Islam and its chief Mangal Bagh.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I suppose the GoP can't let the good doctor off without appearing to sanction the US raid on Bin Laden. If he'd done in the US what he did in Pakistan, he'd be in a super max now. But it's right for the US to work for his release. We recruited him and used him.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
        I suppose the GoP can't let the good doctor off without appearing to sanction the US raid on Bin Laden. If he'd done in the US what he did in Pakistan, he'd be in a super max now. But it's right for the US to work for his release. We recruited him and used him.
        If the US government and legislators made the argument in favor of Afridi's release in this manner (both recognizing the legal validity of the GoP prosecuting Afridi as well as the need to lobby for 'special treatment' given his role in capturing OBL) it would play a lot better in Pakistan, at least amongst Pakistani moderates.

As you pointed out, the GoP cannot let Afridi off without appearing to sanction the US raid on OBL, but a US recognition of the validity of Afridi's imprisonment under Pakistani law and an official statement of 'respect for the Pakistani judicial system' could open the doors for a Presidential pardon down the road (giving public opinion a chance to cool off) given the 'extenuating circumstances'.
        Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
        https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
          Don't forget that he permanently endangered the polio vaccination project in Pakistan for decades. Law of unintended consequences strikes again.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
            Don't forget that he permanently endangered the polio vaccination project in Pakistan for decades. Law of unintended consequences strikes again.
            To be fair though, the TTP and various other religious extremists were conducting a campaign against Polio vaccinations long before Afridi's actions came into the limelight.

I don't have any empirical data on hand, but it does appear that violence against health workers conducting immunization campaigns across Pakistan has gone up since reports of the CIA's use of vaccination programs as cover for intelligence operations came out.
            Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
            https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

While I agree with this sentiment. I don't think the Dr. should be hel responsible for this. The C.I.A.?

Comment

Originally posted by Native View Post
                While I agree with this sentiment. I don't think the Dr. should be hel responsible for this. The C.I.A.?
                The CIA as well. But the doctor should be held responsible. He should have knew better than to endanger the polio vaccinations. In a way, I do understand the anger of Pakistan gov't towards the doctor. He aided and abetted a foreign government agency on the soil of Pakistan without Pakistani government's knowledge and endangered a critical government function. People have been arrested and tried for less in America and America has the same law. Recall several lobbyists being arrested for failing to register as agents of foreign governments.

Comment

The CIA as well. But the doctor should be held responsible. He should have knew better than to endanger the polio vaccinations. In a way, I do understand the anger of Pakistan gov't towards the doctor. He aided and abetted a foreign government agency on the soil of Pakistan without Pakistani government's knowledge and endangered a critical government function. People have been arrested and tried for less in America and America has the same law. Recall several lobbyists being arrested for failing to register as agents of foreign governments.
                  I think I have to agree with you, I think I was rooting for the Dr. because #1 He helped us. #2 Pawn for C.I.A.?

Comment

Working...
                  X