US army keen to learn from India's counter-insurgency operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    I believe he was mocking you. If not, I am curious, too.
    No, I was not mocking. I thought he had information he would add to the wiki page.

Chanjyl, here you said about editing it since it stinks of jingoistic armchair general talk. And you posted -

Today, the ultra-commando trainee is educated, uses the Internet for gathering information, disseminating propaganda, negotiating arms deal and is familiar with hi-tech explosives. At the same time the trainee is trained with native skills like using easily available materials in forest which can be used to devise deadly traps that can kill an elephant with nothing more than bamboos and vines.
    But simply deploying large force is useless as it never produces any result. Learning to operate in small teams, studying the pattern of the militants, establishing an intelligence network, knowing their traditional sanctuaries, maintaining the element of surprise, selecting the site for counter ambush, observing the discipline of when exactly to open fire, knowing field craft and jungle craft well enough to remain undetected, and improvising within a given situation, is the kind of stuff that breaks an ambush. And it’s this which is taught nowhere else better than at CIJW School.
    I clicked on the wiki link and saw nothing of what you mentioned is there. Then you posted -

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
    I just deleted everything. Half of it cited a forum post that was a clone of the wikipedia text.
    Now, I thought you'd deleted the entire page and added information from credible sources. So, I checked again. :)

Then you posted -

I'm curious as to why you would want to know, but whatever the case is you can look at the revision history of any article in Wikipedia by heading to the "history" page.

And I was like, okay, I misunderstood. But, seriously, you have all the time to edit and correct english and remove jingoist texts. I did not create that page.

Mate, if I had any other credible sources I would have used that link. However, thank you for correcting the page. Ray, could have helped. I guess he was a trainer in CIJWS, Vairengte, sometime in his long career.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I would not know about the BG as I was never close to him and never kept updated during my long hiatus from WAB (I was a lurker before I even signed up). When I finally came back this year I found many other stalwarts gone too, in the span of 2+ years.

As for information from "credible" sources you aren't going to get anything much other than what the site already has.

Comment

I would not know about the BG as I was never close to him and never kept updated during my long hiatus from WAB (I was a lurker before I even signed up). When I finally came back this year I found many other stalwarts gone too, in the span of 2+ years.

As for information from "credible" sources you aren't going to get anything much other than what the site already has.
        Some pics from Indian-Indonesian jungle warfare drill in CIJWS, sometime in early 2012.

Livefist

During my grad days, we (myself and friends) would drive to Vairengte once in every 3-4 months. We had a Mizo guy in our group, so we didn't need pass at the Cachar-Mizoram border. We would also smuggle in beer and enjoy a couple of hours in the hills wandering, before we drove back. Back then, I had the idea that CIJWS was just another Army base.

US Troop Train in Indian Counter Insurgency School
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Oracle; 07 Aug 13,, 06:12. Reason: Added a link.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Working...
        X