Kosovo Serbs vow to resist deal done in Brussels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    The thought of at least putting a fight would certainly enter your mind.
    Quite possibly but its not just my wants/desires that would need to be considered. Above all would be needs of my fellow islanders and community members, especially all the noncombatants. Remember this is a small island we are talking about with no significant outside support. I might not like the idea of becoming "Japanese" but the alternative - going it alone in poverty and isolation offers them no hope either. So I either leave or stay and try to make the best of it even if this does mean I have to chow down on a shit sandwich for a while.
    Last edited by Monash; 29 May 13,, 10:25.
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Versus, agreed Serbia did only agree to the deal under pressure from the EU and speaking personally I never said I liked the outcomes as negotiated between Serbia, Kosovo and the other parties involved. What I did suggest was that now it has been negotiated and agreed to by everybody else then it was (possibly) the best of a lot of bad options for the Kosovo Serbs.

Personally I see no problem with the small Serbian part of Kosovo merging politically with Serbia itself. (Then again I can say that because I am far removed both geographically and politically from the consequences of such a decision, aren't I?) But the fact is that offer isn't on the table anymore and I can see how EU diplomats would be loath to start redrawing maps in the region given recent history. So unjust or not I think the Kosovo Serbs might just have to accept their situation.
      Last edited by Monash; 29 May 13,, 10:14.
      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

1455 1% Albanian, 98% Serbian, 1% others
        1871 32% Albanian, 64% Serbian, 4% others
        1899 48% Albanian, 44% Serbian, 8% others
        1921 69% Albanian, 26% Serbian, 5% others
        1931 60% Albanian, 27% Serbian, 13% others
        1939 60% Albanian, 34% Serbian, 5% others
        1948 68% Albanian, 27% Serbian, 5% others
        1953 65% Albanian, 27% Serbian, 8% others
        1961 67% Albanian, 27% Serbian, 6 % others
        1971 74% Albanian, 21% Serbian, 5% others
        1981 77% Albanian, 15% Serbian, 8% others
        1991 82% Albanian, 11% Serbian, 7% others
        2000 88% Albanian, 7% Serbian, 5% others
        2007 92% Albanian, 5% Serbian, 3%

These are official census figures from Демографија Косова и Метохије — Википедија

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
          Versus, agreed Serbia did only agree to the deal under pressure from the EU and speaking personally I never said I liked the outcomes as negotiated between Serbia, Kosovo and the other parties involved. What I did suggest was that now it has been negotiated and agreed to by everybody else then it was (possibly) the best of a lot of bad options for the Kosovo Serbs.

Personally I see no problem with the small Serbian part of Kosovo merging politically with Serbia itself. (Then again I can say that because I am far removed both geographically and politically from the consequences of such a decision, aren't I?) But the fact is that offer isn't on the table anymore and I can see how EU diplomats would be loath to start redrawing maps in the region given recent history. So unjust or not I think the Kosovo Serbs might just have to accept their situation.
          Reasons for our demise lie within our elite and the way how it was formed, which I will try to explain in the autopsy thread. Blaming the others for our demise is very tempting and easy and it is so because it is not true.

Comment

Working...
          X