The Pentagon Has Tied Cyberattacks Directly to the Chinese Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pentagon Has Tied Cyberattacks Directly to the Chinese Government

The Pentagon Has Tied Cyberattacks Directly to the Chinese Government - Dashiell Bennett - The Atlantic Wire

A new report by the Department of Defense claims for the first time that the Chinese government is directly connected to attacks on U.S. computer systems, including those owned by the government. The report—which is part of an annual review on China's military capabilities—claims that "intrusions" on those systems "appear to be attributable directly to the Chinese government and military." The intrusions appear to be mostly performed for intelligence gathering, but demonstrate skills that could be used to "conduct computer network attacks."

While the Chinese and the Americans have both complained about computer espionage and break-ins originating from each other, the U.S. has been unwilling to directly blame the Chinese government for the attacks—even when an independent security firm tied cyberattacks on U.S. infrastructure to a building associated with the People's Liberation Army, the White House said only that it still had concerns as President Obama made cybersecurity a heightened priority for the government and major U.S. companies. Perhaps the change in tone now arrives because many of the attacks have been focused on the American own defense industry and appear to be targeting information that could either boost China's own military capabilities, or reveal weaknesses in U.S. defenses. Whatever the case, it seems that majority of "fighting" being done by today's superpowers is going to take place online.

You can read the full declassified report on the Defense Department website. It also examines all of China's military activities over the last year, including the launching of its first aircraft carrier, a large increase in military spending, and new weapon systems that could be deployed in space.
    http://www.defense.gov/pubs/2013_china_report_final.pdf
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

You mean to tell me that a foreign military government doesn't want to hack your computers for your military secrets ... and vice versa?

Comment

Unfortunately we don't have an "oh my god, really?" category
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

What a surprise... Although I guess someone has to state the obvious officially to put it on the record.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          Unfortunately we don't have an "oh my god, really?" category
          Literally took the words right out of my mouth. Very much a case of 'thank you Captain Obvious'.

On another tack, I'm a bit disappointed that a writer called 'Dashiell Bennett' couldn't make the story a little more....exciting. Couldn't this have all been discovered by a world-weary PI? Was there no way a gorgeous 'broad' could be woven into the plot? A Chinese Falcon anyone? The whole thing was just woefully underwritten. :)
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Enough of :Dancing-Banana:. now that it's official:
            - Why now? Why not sooner OR later, but now?
            - What next?
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

It's not now. China has always been accused of espinage from reverse engineering rolls-royce engines to the W-88/Wen Ho Lee episode.

Comment

Huawei CEO speaks to the media

Reclusive Huawei founder gives first interview - May. 9, 2013

In cyberspace, the most interesting accusation on China/Chinese interest has been on Huawei/ZTE, especially on Huawei.

The mudslinging has been going on for years without a slight of evidence. The most convincing evidence is that Huawei's CEO was a PLA officer. And that's enough for a somewhat brainwashed audience.

Huawei was small time then, big time now. If I were a CISCO share holder I would be worried.

Comment

CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Busted, China has some script kids that can do DoS attack shit. And combine that interview with some shots on some military base, you got evidence that PLA is behind all this.

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
                    CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Busted, China has some script kids that can do DoS attack shit. And combine that interview with some shots on some military base, you got evidence that PLA is behind all this.
                    So what if the PLA was behind it! Intelligence agencies off all countries with the given capabilities will do it.
                    I would be surprised if the PLA did not do it.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                      So what if the PLA was behind it! Intelligence agencies off all countries with the given capabilities will do it.
                      I would be surprised if the PLA did not do it.
                      The issue with online attacks is that you cannot easily trace the source of the attacks. Even junior hackers know how to hide their traces. You can claim that some attacks are originated from some IP addresses in country A, but most likely it's because country A is lacking in internet security measures and a bunch of computers there got hacked.

Shandong Lanxiang Vocational School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last time they accused PLA-affiliated Lanxiang vocational school being the source of internet attacks. This school mostly train cooks and hairdressers.

Comment

Oh come on, China is trying to steal not only US but also European countries' military and business secrets and that is a fact. China has never wanted to play fair in business and technology competition. It seems everybody here is not surprised at it and only it is only you who does not want to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by hanswu25 View Post
                          Oh come on, China is trying to steal not only US but also European countries' military and business secrets and that is a fact. China has never wanted to play fair in business and technology competition. It seems everybody here is not surprised at it and only it is only you who does not want to believe.
                          Show me one iota of solid evidence that PLA is behind any hacking activities. I don't want any online reports. I want a confession from a PLA officer or anything that can stand in a court.

Show me.

Comment

If it ever happened, would that officer be alive?
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

If you skim that report you will be dissapointed to find that cyber comprises just one page and a half out of 92 pages (!)

How did cyber become the dominant blurb ?

This is the first time the DoD actually came out and outright said J'accuse.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 16 May 13,, 23:20.

Comment

Working...
                              X