Dornier Do 17 bomber to be raised from the sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dornier Do 17 bomber to be raised from the sea

Interesting article for aviation buffs...

Only surviving German Second World War Dornier Do 17 bomber to be raised from the sea
    sigpic

Cool. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Yes, thanks. Can't wait to see such a rare example restored although it seems one commenter could care less about the pile of junk.

Comment

I've always like the Flying Pencil for some reason...just a nice slim and trim aircraft
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

So, first scrap them all, and now name a "pile of junk" the last survivor?
          Einstein said something about this.

Anyway it is good to have an example for museum purposes.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

One day, decades or perhaps centuries from now, they will be restoring the last surviving F-4, F-15, F-16, to flyable condition. Today, they are being turned into drones. I know there will be later regret over this.

Comment

There are plenty in museums that could be restored. The Hill AFB museum actually has several F-4s. A couple are finished displays, one is on display while under restoration (which is awesome), and eventually I think they plan on having a full 4-ship display.

Comment

The structure of that plane probably has transformed to sponge because of saltwater corrosion for over 60 years, and if they end up duplicating critical structural members they might have to have access to original blueprints. Hope they make it though, that was a beautiful aircraft.

Comment

Stranger things have happened. The Vasa and Mary Rose, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                    There are plenty in museums that could be restored. The Hill AFB museum actually has several F-4s. A couple are finished displays, one is on display while under restoration (which is awesome), and eventually I think they plan on having a full 4-ship display.

True but do they have their engines and avionics? Take the USS MIDWAY for example. They have lots of planes on their decks but most are all sans engine and avionics. On the other hand the HORNET museum will only take planes that are complete. We are on the waiting list for a retired F-18 and we keep getting calls about one being available. However, they are turned down because they are empty airframes. Doesn't endear us to the powers that be but that is the way it is. Our, F-14 for example, is complete except for the ejection seats rockets. Everything else, all of it, is still on the jet.

Comment

Oh hell no they don't. I agree it's a travesty that modern warplanes (Vietnam+) are intentionally kept out of private hands unless they're paperweights, but museum pieces are better than nothing. And it's easier to cobble together avionics (which don't necessarily have to be original) and systems to make something flyable if you have a worthy airframe, than try it the other way around.

Comment

Stranger things have happened. The Vasa and Mary Rose, for example.
                        Those in no way similar. The Vasa and Marry Rose were 1-of-a-kind, symbols of an era and country. The Do-17 cannot in any way compare with these.

Comment

I agree with the notion that restoration preferably should be to original, flyable condition. There are a number of WW1 aircraft with modern engines, but very few that could have been pulled off of a flight line in 1917.

But any flyable aircraft or display that includes engines and avionics is better than an empty shell with an opaqued canopy.

One of the real problems is that even on a modern jet, a number of components are subject to simple aging, rot, and hardening. Tires, seals, pump vanes, tubings, all will go bad with age even with no use at all. A flyable airplane requires continuous and ongoing maintenance, and that is where much of the expense comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                            Those in no way similar. The Vasa and Marry Rose were 1-of-a-kind, symbols of an era and country. The Do-17 cannot in any way compare with these.
                            I meant similar in that saltwater preservation isn't unheard of. I was definitely not trying to claim comparable historical value.

Comment

I meant similar in that saltwater preservation isn't unheard of. I was definitely not trying to claim comparable historical value.
                              Ignorant question, then: doesn't salt water cause more damage to metal than wood?

Comment

Working...
                              X