1969: Massive Soviet invasion; nuclear option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
    nothing like a Cold War thread to get the dinosaurs up and roaring again!
    Back when men were men, women were nurses or admin, we could say "fuck" in the squadron and not get an article 15... yes, I volunteer today to go back! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chogy View Post
      So did being tracked by SA-5 systems from East Germany, as well as TACAN MIJI efforts to get us to fly into East German airspace. Wasn't too hard to avoid. If your system said "fly EAST to get home", you knew you were being spoofed.
      Yeah, nothing like being at Grafenwhoer or Hohenfels near the Czech Border back then. The WP elint troops used to like jamming the range control nets....especially during medevacs.

Of course during REFORGER 83 one of bonehead officers blew right past the 1 K Zone warning markers and was apprehended by the 2d ACR patrols. Big signs and a compass did him no good!

Bastards.

Eric,

nothing like a Cold War thread to get the dinosaurs up and roaring again!

Hey! I resemble that remark!!!
      Last edited by Albany Rifles; 19 Jun 13,, 20:01.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• You guys are funny.

I, too, miss the Cold War. Something just feels wrong without the threat of nuclear war hanging overhead....
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• well the north koreans are about to invade. go wolverines!!
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
            well the north koreans are about to invade. go wolverines!!
            That movie was terrible! The original was much better.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
              You guys are funny.

I, too, miss the Cold War. Something just feels wrong without the threat of nuclear war hanging overhead....
              I try to explain what it felt like to my kids. They just don't get it.

The terror threat is a pin-prick or a leg cramp compared to the heart attack that is the imminent threat of thermonuclear war. We used to imagine...

"What would we do if we saw the re-entry vehicles screaming down towards our city?"

"Basically, kiss your ass good bye."

The good part about the cold war was that the actors were at least somewhat rational.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                Back when men were men, women were nurses or admin, we could say "fuck" in the squadron and not get an article 15... yes, I volunteer today to go back! ;)
                I said that to my current girlfriend. She replied, "I've met your mother."

Comment

• Growing up I bounced around between Seattle, Everett and Stanwood. So military was all over the place. We used to have A6's go screaming overhead flying in and out of Whidbey Is NAS. However, if you went up into the Cascade mountains to go hiking you might come across them slicing through the valleys on what I assume were mock penetration runs.

Later when I joined the guard before going active and we spent our time in Yakima the air force used the area for mock penetration runs for B-52's out of Fairchild AFB.

I wonder if the goat farmer is still in operation outside the entrance to Yakima?

Comment

• These aren't Cold War memories of course, but...

I've been pretty fortunate since moving here to Jacksonville 2 years ago to see some fairly diverse aircraft.

So far I've seen more P-3C Orions and H-60 Seahawks flying around than I can shake a stick at.
                    I saw a P-8 Poseidon sitting at NAS Jax a few weeks back as well. Eventually they'll be all over the skies, along with the MQ-4C Triton. Also some Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphins.

Every once in awhile I'll see Hornets/Super Hornets/Growlers zooming around, along with the occasional C-130 Hercules and F-15C Eagle.

I recall touching down at Jax Int'l airport at night and being startled by the sight of a dozen or more Florida ANG Eagles sitting out on the side of the runway, pointed directly at me, wingtip-to-wingtip, dramatically backlit by the open hangers behind them.

Funny thing, for such a big Navy town, unless you live right outside one of the bases, you really wouldn't be aware of the Navy here (unless you know what to look for). It's really disappointing that Jacksonville doesn't do more (or anything, for that matter) to enhance the city's relationship with the Navy.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                    X