The Final Reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final Reunion

Didn't know exactly where to put this but it is/was Army aviation during the beginning of WWII. Tuesday marks the final reunion for the four Doolittle Raiders left. I was at their reunion years ago, in Fresno, where about 15 B-25 bombers flew in. I got to meet two of them last year for a ceremony aboard the Hornet as they noticed Tom and I standing next to them in Navy work clothes before they went on stage.

Opinion: A final toast for the Doolittle Raiders - CNN.com

Later this year they're planning to get together privately and crack open that bottle. The survivors decided they don't want to wait for just two. :(

Comment

The Doolittle Raiders tontine display was housed at the USAF Academy when I was there.

Each silver cup was engraved with the name of the raider, and the old brandy had a central position. It really captured the imagination, and made you appreciate those gentlemen, and how important it is to simply "remember".

Even in the early 1980's, the majority of the cups were inverted. I kind of like the fact that they are going to open the brandy early.

Comment

Working...
      X