Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bailey O'Neill, 12-year-old Pa. boy, dies weeks after suffering injuries from attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailey O'Neill, 12-year-old Pa. boy, dies weeks after suffering injuries from attack

This is terrible. It really emphasises bullying - its all to prevalent. I believe that criminal charges need to be filed, against the bully. I'm not sure about what they'll do the the parents. What do you think?

(CBS/AP) GLENOLDEN, Pa. - A sixth grader who was injured during a violent altercation with another boy at school two months ago was taken off life support and died Monday. A district attorney said charges will most likely be filed against the alleged bully.

Family members said 12-year-old Bailey O'Neill died Sunday morning. His suburban school district made extra counselors available to fellow students on Monday.

He suffered a concussion, a broken nose and other injuries during the violent encounter at Darby Township School, in suburban Philadelphia, on Jan. 10. He later began having seizures, and doctors induced a coma.

Bailey told his mother, Jina Risoldi, that he was at recess when the boy, who was taller, challenged him to a fight.

Risoldi said last month that her son declined to fight, saying he was worried about being suspended. She said a boy then pushed him from behind and he was struck in the head about five times.

"This is not a fight between two boys," she said. "My son didn't fight back."

Risoldi said school security and a teacher rushed in to break it up.

Bailey spent the rest of the day at school, but over the following days he complained of severe headaches and dizziness, began sleeping a lot and became irritable and confused, his mother said.

"He had no problems before the fight," Risoldi said. "He was always extremely healthy, rarely got sick."

Bailey was an honor roll student who served on the student council. He also enjoyed baseball and swimming.

His mother said the other boy challenged him to a fight earlier that week, and she had questions about whether the school did enough to prevent the encounter. She said school officials were aware the boy had a history of bullying other children. The boy was suspended and subsequently returned to class, Risoldi said.

On Monday, District Attorney Jack Whelan told the Delaware County Daily Times that he was waiting for autopsy results and re-interviewing witnesses but considered charges to be likely.

Last month, police Deputy Chief Brian Patterson told the newspaper what happened between Bailey and the other boy was a "one-on-one altercation" and was captured on video surveillance.

Southeast Delco School District Superintendent Stephen D. Butz expressed condolences to Bailey's friends and family.
    Bailey O'Neill, 12-year-old Pa. boy, dies weeks after suffering injuries from attack in school, report says - Crimesider - CBS News
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

So with all the complaints the boy never saw a doctor? WTF? The perp returned to school just like nothing ever happened, WTF? Bailey never had a chance.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
      So with all the complaints the boy never saw a doctor? WTF? The perp returned to school just like nothing ever happened, WTF? Bailey never had a chance.
      It sounds like there were some unusually late onset effects from the attack. Still I would think he should have gone to the doctor right away, if his nose was broken there must have been bruises? It sounds like the school was quite neglegent - sending this dangerous bully back to class, while his victims dies?

How much should they do to the parents of the bully?

Its a sad and sickening case, a lot of bully victims die from suicide, but that is much more indirect. It sounds lke Bailey died from a beating that he got at school. I agree he never had a chance with the people he had looking out for him. I wonder if he had some unusual condition that made him particularly vulnerable to what transpired (not that it is an excuse for the bully or the appearently neglegnet people who were involved).
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Rob and I were talking about this last night. I think charges should be brought against the kids who did this. They were old enough to know better. I also think something should be done to the parents. But i am not sure what. Chances are this is not the first time the kids did anything. Most kids show signs that they have these kinds of issues and the parents should have seen them and acted on them. They should have done something to try to prevent this.

This whole situation just sickens me.

-Emily
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
        X