German Gold to be pulled from foreign storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Gold to be pulled from foreign storage

Germany will be pulling about 675 tons of gold from their storage abroad.

Deutsche Bundesbank - Press releases - Deutsche Bundesbank

Deutsche Bundesbank’s new storage plan for Germany’s gold reserves

By 2020, the Bundesbank intends to store half of Germany’s gold reserves in its own vaults in Germany. The other half will remain in storage at its partner central banks in New York and London. With this new storage plan, the Bundesbank is focusing on the two primary functions of the gold reserves: to build trust and confidence domestically, and the ability to exchange gold for foreign currencies at gold trading centres abroad within a short space of time.

The following table shows the current and the envisaged future allocation of Germany’s gold reserves across the various storage locations:
    31 December 2012 31 December 2020
    Frankfurt am Main 31 % 50 %
    New York 45 % 37 %
    London 13 % 13 %
    Paris 11 % 0 %

To this end, the Bundesbank is planning a phased relocation of 300 tonnes of gold from New York to Frankfurt as well as an additional 374 tonnes from Paris to Frankfurt by 2020.

The withdrawal of the reserves from the storage location in Paris reflects the change in the framework conditions since the introduction of the euro. Given that France, like Germany, also has the euro as its national currency, the Bundesbank is no longer dependent on Paris as a financial centre in which to exchange gold for an international reserve currency should the need arise. As capacity has now become available in the Bundesbank’s own vaults in Germany, the gold stocks can now be relocated from Paris to Frankfurt.
    Most commentaries, e.g. FT, note that the only other countries to recently do so on similar (but smaller!) scale were Venezuela and Iran.

The Federal Bank is reacting to recently rather widespread distrust in the Fed regarding whether the German gold is actually still where it's supposed to be.

See e.g. Tracking down Germany's gold | Germany | DW.DE | 16.11.2012 regarding that. Germany supposedly previously pulled a similar stunt regarding reserves held in London - see Bundesbank slashed London gold holdings in mystery move - Telegraph

National gold holdings are fascinating... Their quantities, storage methods, and security measures. Logistically, moving this much gold will be very challenging.

Fort Knox, which has a bit of gold in reserve, has some extreme security measures. My favorite is the simple expedient of automatically flooding the gold vaults with water in case of a breach. Imagine a fast-moving team being suddenly faced with 10 meters of water over the top of the immensely heavy gold!

Added trivia: I have many times flown commercial aircraft with immense pallets of newly-made cash being transported from A to B. I'm talking tons of cash. Security? It's there on the ground at both ends, but my buddy and I joked about it once airborne.

"Where do you want to go with this cash? Can we make Bonaire? Barbados? Some remote place where we can offload the cash and live like kings?" ;)

Sorry for the thread jack...
    Last edited by Chogy; 16 Jan 13,, 16:12.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      Germany supposedly previously pulled a similar stunt regarding reserves held in London.
      Kato, you call it 'stunt'. Why? Seems like a sensible political move, and it saves on storage fees.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
        Why? Seems like a sensible political move, and it saves on storage fees.
        We've had the gold in Paris, London and New York since WW2. And by "the gold" i mean pretty much all of it.

This withdrawal is only because some conservative politicians last year got the idea "hey - don't we have all that gold in the US? do we know what the US is doing with our gold? do we know if it's even still there? i mean - it's the US. they have that huge budget hole right now. they could be doing anything with our gold". Then the Bundesrechnungshof - federal accounting - jumped on the same train and declared that Germany should verify its foreign gold holdings. Because no one has really checked on the holdings in the USA since the early 80s.

The withdrawal from Paris has a valid reason. We can't buy foreign currency quickly in Paris, because they have the same currency we do. That's not the case with London and New York.

Also, it doesn't really save on anything. New York and Paris don't take any storage fees from Germany, the London fees are about half a million Euro per year.

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
        Logistically, moving this much gold will be very challenging.
        They're already talking about several years of regular flights of 3-5 tons gold each - because insurance companies don't cover more if you don't want to get really screwed on the premiums.

Comment

"Where do you want to go with this cash? Can we make Bonaire? Barbados? Some remote place where we can offload the cash and live like kings?" ;)

I know some very remote places to land a plane and you can't get more out-of-the-way than NZ ;)
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
              The withdrawal from Paris has a valid reason. We can't buy foreign currency quickly in Paris, because they have the same currency we do. That's not the case with London and New York.

Also, it doesn't really save on anything. New York and Paris don't take any storage fees from Germany, the London fees are about half a million Euro per year.
              Turning the question around, now that the Cold War is officially over, why doesn't Germany store its gold at home?

It must cost the US and France something to store their part of your hoard. It seems only the Brits are smart enough to charge rent. Anyhow they like looking at it.

Video: Inside the Bank of England's gold bullion vault - Telegraph

Comment

The gold is intentionally located at international financial hubs so it can be brought on the market extremely quickly if we need loads of foreign currency for some urgent reason.

Comment

National gold holdings are fascinating... Their quantities, storage methods, and security measures. Logistically, moving this much gold will be very challenging.

Fort Knox, which has a bit of gold in reserve, has some extreme security measures. My favorite is the simple expedient of automatically flooding the gold vaults with water in case of a breach. Imagine a fast-moving team being suddenly faced with 10 meters of water over the top of the immensely heavy gold!

Added trivia: I have many times flown commercial aircraft with immense pallets of newly-made cash being transported from A to B. I'm talking tons of cash. Security? It's there on the ground at both ends, but my buddy and I joked about it once airborne.

Dya need a steward :whome:

Comment

All Governments are hoarding gold and buying it if they can because when interest rates rise - as they must at some point - there be money printing on a scale never seen before. Paper money will lose value by upto 2/3rd, ergo buy precious metals, although some predict that silver will rise in value more than gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                      I know some very remote places to land a plane and you can't get more out-of-the-way than NZ ;)
                      I'm sure I could find one or two in Oz too.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

The problem with hijacking the cash is, of course, you have 150 people on board as well. ;)

The likely method to jack the bucks would be to buy off the pilots to divert the airplane. Fake a mechanical problem, and land at a small airport where an extremely fast-moving crew would off-load the cash. A good way to do it would be to have another jet ready; take the money, the pilots, and fly the new airplane away, transponder off, leaving the jet abandoned with the people still on board.

Heck you could make a movie about this!

Back OT - There are not a few people, politicians among them, who believe the U.S. gold reserves are fictitious. A simple visual survey doesn't hack it. A heavily gold layered brick of tungsten weighs just about the same as gold, and the only sure way of checking on a bar is to drill deep, and sample the core.

I don't think this is likely, but it is physically possible.

Comment

Estimates for the total amount of gold ever recovered and stored amount to 25 sqm, a bit smaller than the size of the Dover castle keep.

Just thought you'd like to know....
                          Attached Files
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                            Estimates for the total amount of gold ever recovered and stored amount to 25 sqm, a bit smaller than the size of the Dover castle keep.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]31633[/ATTACH]

Just thought you'd like to know....
                            Add a wing to the castle...look at this:

BBC News - Australian amateur prospector finds massive gold nugget

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                              All Governments are hoarding gold and buying it if they can because when interest rates rise - as they must at some point - there be money printing on a scale never seen before. Paper money will lose value by upto 2/3rd, ergo buy precious metals, although some predict that silver will rise in value more than gold.

Gordon clown didnt

Comment

Working...
                              X