German Gold to be pulled from foreign storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
    ] My favorite is the simple expedient of automatically flooding the gold vaults with water in case of a breach. Imagine a fast-moving team being suddenly faced with 10 meters of water over the top of the immensely heavy gold!
    it actually makes it easyer to steal, scubagear should take care of water issue, and things are lighter underwater.

i watched a programm about fort knox, some believe there is not much gold there anymore, it was removed years ago, something else is there now, guarder a lot tighter than gold ever was. according to program.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
      it actually makes it easyer to steal, scubagear should take care of water issue, and things are lighter underwater.

i watched a programm about fort knox, some believe there is not much gold there anymore, it was removed years ago, something else is there now, guarder a lot tighter than gold ever was. according to program.
      The only thing more valuable than gold- documents. It was an open secret at Knox, no gold, just paper, very important papers.

Comment

We had passed by there on the way to the Patton Museum.

I was surprised that the building is like a stone's throw away from the highway. I always pictured it buried deep within the base somewhere.

Ed-

Comment

That's a lot of glitter, but it's only 18% of all the refined gold in the world. Surprisingly, investors hold almost as much (16%) and so do industrial concerns (12%).

Most surprising, at least to me, is that 52% is in jewelry. If all the gold in the world is valued $9 trillion (at today's market price), roughly $4 trillion adorns women.
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Zad Fnark View Post
            We had passed by there on the way to the Patton Museum.

I was surprised that the building is like a stone's throw away from the highway. I always pictured it buried deep within the base somewhere.

Ed-
            Ah! But what's BETWEEN the building and the highway?

Plus, the building is just the outward manifestation of the complex; 50% of the complex is actually underground.
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

What I don't understand about this Gold Holding chart is that at least two 'institutions' are listed; the IMF and ECB. These are not countries and have no balance of trade, all that they hold actually belongs to some country or another. So why is this gold listed as theirs instead of as 'held by them on behalf of X'. Nor frankly do I understand why they require gold unless we truly are soon to return to the Gold Standard. The sole purpose of these institutions is to lend paper to banks or countries so why do they need gold?

"The world is moving step by step towards a de facto Gold Standard, without any meetings of G20 leaders to announce the idea or bless the project."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...is-being-born/
              Last edited by snapper; 18 Jan 13,, 09:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                Ah! But what's BETWEEN the building and the highway?

Plus, the building is just the outward manifestation of the complex; 50% of the complex is actually underground.
                True. I'm sure there's sensors galore all around. I think watching Goldfinger gave me a different impression.

Ed-

Comment

Originally posted by Zad Fnark View Post
                  True. I'm sure there's sensors galore all around. I think watching Goldfinger gave me a different impression.

Ed-
                  Yeah, I've watched that movie more than a few times myself; they make it look like all you have to do is incapacitate the guards, drive right in, and load up the trucks.
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

When I saw the opener for this I thought omg , German gold to be pulled from ,,,,,,,,,,,,I thought please , dont be TEETH .

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      When I saw the opener for this I thought omg , German gold to be pulled from ,,,,,,,,,,,,I thought please , dont be TEETH .
                      nope, then the title would have been Germans pulling gold...

Comment

I remember an episode of Batman (the tv series) - the crimimals ganged up and broke into Fort Knox and built an M48 tank out of the gold, the Pengiun got mad when the Catwoman fired the gun, because it shot a gold shell... Of course Batman caught them and returned the gold (perhaps the shells Catwoman shot were lost).
                        Last edited by USSWisconsin; 20 Jan 13,, 02:17.
                        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Haha! If 24K gold, the tank would probably collapse (ooze) under its own weight, like thick jello.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            What I don't understand about this Gold Holding chart is that at least two 'institutions' are listed; the IMF and ECB. These are not countries and have no balance of trade, all that they hold actually belongs to some country or another. So why is this gold listed as theirs instead of as 'held by them on behalf of X'. Nor frankly do I understand why they require gold unless we truly are soon to return to the Gold Standard. The sole purpose of these institutions is to lend paper to banks or countries so why do they need gold?
                            Good question--actually two questions. The first why IMF holds gold is explained here. Hope you can understand it. Monetary systems are a great mystery to most people and that includes a lot of smart people. About the IMF: Organization and Finances: Gold

The other question is why is it listed along with sovereign countries. I assume it's because they are conglomerates made up of sovereign nations and the gold they hold is put in them by their member nations and presumably could be returned to those nations.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post

The other question is why is it listed along with sovereign countries. I assume it's because they are a syndicate made up of sovereign nations and the gold they hold is put in them by their member nations and presumably could be returned to those nations.
                              Fixed lol.

The IMF and WB are UN institutions and while extra-national and transnational are also part of a sovereign entity.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                                Fixed lol.
                                Do you do plumbing too?

Comment

Working...
                                X