Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cataphract Reply

"Why Persian? "

24th Infantry Division (Mech) was the heavy component to 18th Airborne Corps. As such they had rapid deployment responsibilities during the cold war and immediately thereafter. One of our prime mission scenarios was a strike by Soviet Forces through Iran to the Indian Ocean. 24th Mech would have been the heavy augmentation to any Gulf deployment and, in fact, were exactly that in 1990.

Except to the side of the gulf speaking arabic.

Thought he might have rode Fred Franks a bit too hard in DESERT STORM. That said, Schwarzkopf was iconic to my generation of soldiers. His passing is regretted here. Present Arms!
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The enlisted personnel who served under him loved him. Storming Norman chewed out many an officer but never an enlisted person. He made sure the latter were well cared for. RIP, General.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

His temper was apparently legendary. I'd rather have him chewing some ass, than tolerating mediocrity.

It is correct that at his level of command he'd chew on officers, not enlisted, given that ultimately it is the officers' responsibility to maintain their troops at the highest level.

Comment

RIP Stormin .
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
            Why Persian?
            Because our mission was to counter a Soviet thrust towards the Iran towards the Gulf. So all of our warplans involved either Iran or Turkey.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
              His temper was apparently legendary. I'd rather have him chewing some ass, than tolerating mediocrity.

It is correct that at his level of command he'd chew on officers, not enlisted, given that ultimately it is the officers' responsibility to maintain their troops at the highest level.
              I think that if Norman was the current CinC-Central at the time of the Iraq War, he would have told Donald Rumsfeld to f-ck himself and proceed to fight the way he thinks it should be fought. And Donald would piss in his pants.

Comment

A Winning General.....

It the course of written history there has never been a "Winning General" that did not yeild to political considerations.
                Even though the "political considerations" may of been his own making rather than the traditional and much analized & frequent "outside political influences".

Winning Generals are much appreciated and their flag posted on the hill takes no seconds.... RIP Sir!

Comment

R.I.P. Stormin Norman!
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                  X