Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The true face of Communist Vietnam

Asia Times Online :: State secrets revealed in Vietnam

One afternoon in mid-December, Colonel Tran Dang Thanh shared his views on foreign affairs with an audience of deans and professors drawn from Hanoi's many universities. Like all Vietnamese Communist Party business, Thanh's comments were considered state secrets. However, unbeknownst to Thanh, who teaches at Vietnam's top military college, someone in the audience was wired. A full text was soon uploaded to the Internet and went viral.

The occasion was a meeting of senior Party cadre who administer or teach at colleges and universities in the capital area, and who double as functionaries charged with propaganda and training. They had been convened to hear Thanh lecture on the situation in the South China Sea.
    On the United States: "To tell the truth, the US is implementing a two-faced policy. One face uses Vietnam as an advanced force to block China. The other face employs every means to destroy the long-standing solidarity between the people of Vietnam and the people of China. ... The Americans really want to set up a naval base at Cam Ranh Bay, one of the three best harbors in the world. ... The Americans are pushing a strategy of 'peaceful change' [of the Vietnamese regime] and they seek to implement it through 'educational cooperation' with us."
    "They never have and never will treat us well. If they're nice here, if they praise us there, support us in the South China Sea, it's because they're trying to use a small fish to catch a big one."
    On Russia: "Resurgent, with an economy powered by endless reserves of oil and gas and cutting edge defense industries, what does Russia want of us?... It is intent on returning to East Asia. In the past, Russia gave strong support to our army and navy. Now through us, they see a way back to the region. The Russians have a high opinion of Vietnam. They see us as loyal and faithful. ... and like the Americans, they really want us to rent Cam Ranh Bay to them. ... which of course we're not going to do."
    On Iran: "There are 1.1 billion Muslims between us and Europe. They are warrior peoples... who want to remold the world according to Allah's plan. Now the Islamic Republic of Iran is determined to pursue its nuclear development plan to secure a peaceful environment. I won't go into whether Iran is building nuclear weapons or not... but certainly the Iranians have enough strength to defend their interests."
    On North Korea: "Its people are economically poor, but overflowing with love of country, like us Vietnamese in the 1960s and '70s. They're on a war footing. They launch rockets ... and get respect. Whatever the North Koreans say, they do. They're also determined to become a nuclear nation. They cause the big countries to lose sleep worrying about their rockets. That's something we need to study."
    On China: "We must never forget that they've invaded us over and over, yet we also must always remember that China made great sacrifices to supply us in our wars against France and the US. We must not seem ungrateful for that."
    it must also give top priority to preserving a peaceful environment, he argued. This was not an easy task, indeed a contradictory one, and the key to accomplishing it is preserving solidarity between the people of Vietnam and the people of China.

I don't see anything surprising or in any way particular in those comments.

Comment

Did he say anything about Cambodia or Laos?

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
        I don't see anything surprising or in any way particular in those comments.
        Well, in sort, Vietnam is loyal friend of Russia, secret admirer of Iran and North Korea, tries to be friend of China, shows to have a good relation with USA but in fact distrusts USA and somehow considers USA an enemy of the regime.

And it is all different from the media version of recent foreign policy of Vietnam which shows a major drift toward democracy world under heavy pressure from China. Vietnam plays an active role in democracy progress in Myanmar; often joins international community to condemn North Korea missile and nuclear tests. Vietnam also shows effort to take part in the sanction of Iran. In recent visit of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to Vietnam, no major deal was signed.

In return for all of that, USA supports Vietnam's internationalization of South China Sea dispute on all regional forums; even sends aircraft carrier group to visit Vietnam at the height of tension between Vietnam and China; opens way for other third party from ally countries to provide Vietnam with militay technology.

But from Colonel Thanh comments, Vietnam seems to remain an enemy of USA and seems to be closer to Iran and North Korea than it looks. With Vietnam's hunger for military technology, it may secretly trade with Iran and North Korea and hurt international effort to sanction those countries.

USA should consider this fact and thus never gives away an unconditional support to the regime without pressing them to share the same basic and values. Especially in this time when Vietnam becomes the priority target of China in South China Sea and they don't have many option to resist it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
          Did he say anything about Cambodia or Laos?
          No he did not say anything but from what I heard, they know that they have already lost Cambodia to China and right now they are struggling to maintain influence over Laos.

Comment

Originally posted by hanswu25 View Post
            No he did not say anything but from what I heard, they know that they have already lost Cambodia to China and right now they are struggling to maintain influence over Laos.
            I thought it was the other way around.

Comment

I thought it was the other way around.
              You mean Vietnam has lost Laos and is trying to win back Cambodia?

Comment

You mean Vietnam has lost Laos and is trying to win back Cambodia?
                Well, yes, though I was thinking more that Vietnamese influence in Cambodia is on a decline as opposed to being so far gone that they'd need to win it back now (Laos would be more open to Chinese influence due to the shared border).

Comment

Well, yes, though I was thinking more that Vietnamese influence in Cambodia is on a decline as opposed to being so far gone that they'd need to win it back now (Laos would be more open to Chinese influence due to the shared border).
                  There is nothing more to say about Cambodia. Got stuffed with China economic aid and military aid for confrontation with Thailand, they have openly opposed Vietnam (and Philippines) internationalization of SCS dispute in recent ASEAN meetings and even went that far to address Vietnam (and Philippines) as trouble makers among SEA countries. Laos remain neutral.

Laos and Vietnam Communist Parties share a long history side by side through out two Indochina Wars. There are a large number of Laos officials who got education in Vietnam, can speak Vietnamese fluently and consider Vietnam their second home.

Beside that Laos takes advantage of Vietnam narrow landscape to get access to the sea. China, together with aid and investment, tries to overwhelm it with direct trade through land border. It will not be concluded soon but depends on how Laos economy looks like in the future, with China as sole business partner or open out to the rest of the world.

Comment

I don't know enough to comment on the article, but I found that title of the article " The true face of Communist Vietnam" too much on the sensational side for my taste.
                    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Cheap journalism. But it gets the views or? :D

Comment

This guy sounds quite reasonable imo.

Comment

Cheap journalism. But it gets the views or? :D

A quick Google search turned up some unverified information that Vietnam Army Colonel Tran Dang Thanh, PhD, is an associate professor of the Academy of the Ministry of Defense of Vietnam.

If we take a big leap of faith with the assumption that the commentary attributed to that Colonel is essentially accurate, then we have some information that may be indicative of that particular Colonel's opinions and his perspectives on international relations. To do that we would have to assume that the reported comments were not fabricated by the reporter, embellished in translation, or selectively edited to spin perceptions, and those are rather big assumptions to make where no other sources are available.

Regardless that, it would be a very big stretch to extend his remarks as representative of opinions of those in actual positions of power. Bottom line is that the commentary, while interesting, should be taken with prudent dose of skepticism.

Comment

The pro-China faction that this colonel represents is being undermined every single time China pursues its claim to ownership of the South China Sea. Ultimately, he will have to choose between Vietnam's and China's interests.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
                              A quick Google search turned up some unverified information that Vietnam Army Colonel Tran Dang Thanh, PhD, is an associate professor of the Academy of the Ministry of Defense of Vietnam.

If we take a big leap of faith with the assumption that the commentary attributed to that Colonel is essentially accurate, then we have some information that may be indicative of that particular Colonel's opinions and his perspectives on international relations. To do that we would have to assume that the reported comments were not fabricated by the reporter, embellished in translation, or selectively edited to spin perceptions, and those are rather big assumptions to make where no other sources are available.

Regardless that, it would be a very big stretch to extend his remarks as representative of opinions of those in actual positions of power. Bottom line is that the commentary, while interesting, should be taken with prudent dose of skepticism.
                              I won't go into boring details about being in and out of Viet Nam military and civilian since 1969 and owning a home in Viet Nam since 1997.

I do find the comments here reasonable and intelligent, especially JRT's and Mithridates'. I do wish to slightly expand JRT's point. The "opinions of those in actual positions of power" are likely far more diverse than most outsiders expect. Mithridates gets that right. I wish that Mithridates had added a bit more.

Viet Nam is a authoritarian oligarchy. Viet Nam is not a dictatorship. My suggestion is to take the message as a valid part of an ongoing discussion. As to who is winning the discussion, check out Viet Nam's defense spending over the last decade. Ten years ago the Army was mostly doing civilian infrastructure work.

Comment

Working...
                              X