US Says Iran Fired On US Drone Over Gulf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Says Iran Fired On US Drone Over Gulf

WASHINGTON (AP) — An Iranian attack aircraft fired at least twice at an unarmed U.S. drone conducting routine surveillance in international airspace over the Persian Gulf, the Pentagon said Thursday. The aircraft missed and the drone returned to base unharmed.

US Says Iran Fired On US Drone Over Gulf : NPR
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Iran operates the Su-25? That's news to me.

I'm not surprised he missed. The Su-25 is not optimized for air to air gunnery. And a Predator drone is a small target.

If Iran truly wants to gun a drone, their F-5's would be a better choice.

Comment

Lesson learned. From now on, a couple of Fox 2 on the drone pylons
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post

I'm not surprised he missed. The Su-25 is not optimized for air to air gunnery. And a Predator drone is a small target.

Hope they don't read you ;)
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I was surprised, too; first, that Iran even HAD Su-25's and, secondly, that they would use an aircraft optimized for air-to-ground attack as an interceptor. Iranian logic, I guess . . . . .

Edit: Maybe that's the only plane that Iran had at the time that was airworthy!
          Last edited by Stitch; 09 Nov 12,, 19:02.
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Obama will probably sack the Officer responsible to 'keep the peace'.

Comment

Probably got them from Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
                Probably got them from Iraq.
                Yes and no; apparently, a few of them were flown over the border by "defecting" Iraqi pilots during the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, and the Iranians "impounded" them. However, since then, Iran has actually purchased some from Russia; I suspect it was these that carried out the intercept of the drone.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                  Yes and no; apparently, a few of them were flown over the border by "defecting" Iraqi pilots during the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, and the Iranians "impounded" them. However, since then, Iran has actually purchased some from Russia; I suspect it was these that carried out the intercept of the drone.
                  Thanks for the update, wasn't aware of that last bit.

Comment

On a second thought, Iran has Fulcrums, tomcats and tigers, is it normal to send frogfoots for an air intercept?

Comment

The only reason that makes sense to me for Iran using Su-25's is that they were the only aircraft, with a chance to bring down the drone, available in that area at the time.
                      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 10 Nov 12,, 23:32.
                      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                        Lesson learned. From now on, a couple of Fox 2 on the drone pylons
                        That would have been a good story - drone pickels a frogfoot....
                        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                          The only reason that makes sense to me for Iran using Su-25's is that they were the only aircraft, with a chance to bring down the drone, available in that area at the time.
                          That makes sense. Or was it because they are expendable? Couldn't take chance with say SU-30s if you were going to be so confrontational .... in case there are raptors lurking around.

Comment

That makes sense. Or was it because they are expendable? Couldn't take chance with say SU-30s if you were going to be so confrontational .... in case there are raptors lurking around.
                            If expendable was the idea, don't they have even lower value assets? I'd think an outdated "National Guard" type aircraft with an air to air capablility would have been more useful for them. Do they have a lot of Frogfoots?

Maybe it was just a show of strength, and they weren't concerned about hitting the drone? The Frogfoot is "scary" looking.
                            Last edited by USSWisconsin; 11 Nov 12,, 04:46.

Comment

If iran use su-30 bring down the drone, it was waste fuels and expensive. Su-30 is a heavy combat fighter,it very consume fuels.On the other hand, if the US send 1000 drone fly into territory of Iran in the same time. The Iranians
                              own plenty of SU-30 to intercept drones of USA?

If I am the Irans ,I will use unmanned plane who weigh about 1 ton.It can carry a 20 milimeter AA-GUN enough shut down the drone of US.

Comment

Working...
                              X