Boeing Successfully Tests Electronics-Frying, Microwave Missile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing Successfully Tests Electronics-Frying, Microwave Missile

It's not the sexiest of weapons, because it doesn't cause big explosions, or fly around the world in minutes. But the effect is huge and could cripple a modern military without causing any casualties.

This week, Boeing announced that it has successfully tested a missile that can send out targeted, high-power microwaves that fry electronics without actually causing an explosion.

Boeing Successfully Tests Electronics-Frying, Microwave Missile : The Two-Way : NPR
    Last edited by Stitch; 24 Oct 12,, 20:14.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

I've actually been waiting for something like this to show up. I wasn't sure it was going to be the US to develop it first though.

Comment

I'm frankly surprised that such a system wasn't black from the beginning, like the F-117.

- Since demonstrated effective, it would encourage research and replication by potential adversaries.
      - It's existence would also emphasize (and accelerate) research into further hardening of military electronics.

Overall fascinating weapon, with vast potential. How about EMP "flares" for aircraft? Sensors indicate a missile inbound, a small EMP bomblet is released close to intercept to scramble the missile's guidance and fuzing. Obviously the defending AC would need to be immune to its own defense.

Or... a long-ranged, inertially or GPS guided missile with a larger EMP warhead could do area saturation. Several of them spaced geographically could whack entire squadrons of defending CAP aircraft prior to a strike or sweep.

Comment

I understand that Soviet Aircraft used to have gaseuos electronics (tubes) for just such a reason.

There is protection against this too -- a Faraday Cage and hardened electronics using smaller versions of the FC.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
          Or... a long-ranged, inertially or GPS guided missile with a larger EMP warhead could do area saturation. Several of them spaced geographically could whack entire squadrons of defending CAP aircraft prior to a strike or sweep.
          Along those lines, how about a SEAD microwave missle? Have it target the missles and/or the radar systems (the missles would probably be more vulnerable to an EMP burst), and clear a path for the attackers.
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

The possibilities are endless. It's like a magic "allow me to turn off all your cool stuff" missile.

On the flip side, I have no doubt China and Russia at a minimum have GPS jammers that probably work very well and could potentially be proof against JDAM. You've got a fire base, or even a dozen guys in a bunker, with a system that detects inbound heavy iron rounds and activates a GPS jammer, rendering the guidance useless. Of course, anything that emits radiation becomes a known target, so such a system would have its own issues and liabilities.

Either the GPS jammer runs continually (You get a HARM up the ass) or some sort of radar scans the sky for falling metallic objects (ditto).

Comment

GPS jamming is easy and can be done with a trip to Radio Shack. Spoofing (like what Iran claims) is near-impossible.

Comment

Working...
              X