Propellants and Propulsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propellants and Propulsion

Lately (since I read this story actually)
    Winning: Chinese Engines Miss The Finish Line
    There was one before that in 2005 as well but anyways.
    September 28, 2011: Russia is not conceding defeat in its effort to halt Chinese theft of Russian military technology. This can be seen in China having more difficulty than it will admit in its battle to free itself from dependence on Russia for high-performance jet engines for its top-line jet fighters. This surfaced recently when China protested restrictions Russia was insisting on for the use of AL-31FN engines China ordered two months ago. Russia wants guarantees that the AL-31FNs will only be used to power Chinese warplanes, and that none of them will be disassembled to assist Chinese engineers in perfecting the illegal Chinese clone of the AL-31FN, the WS-10A. China is resisting these restrictions, which simply makes the Russians more insistent. China has been stealing Russian military tech for years, especially since the end of the Cold War. Back then, Russia could no longer to buy new military gear, and it was only orders from China and India that were keeping many Russian defense firms in business. This was, and still is, particularly true with Russian manufacturers of military jet engines. Thus Russia wants, and still needs, the sales, but does not want China to become a competitor by using stolen Russian technology.

And then there's the problem with China not wanting to admit that its own engine development efforts have consistently come up short. For example, last year, China revealed that it was replacing the engines in its J-10 fighter, installing Chinese made WS-10A in place of the Russian made AL-31FN. Then, two months ago, China ordered another 123 AL-31FNs, to be delivered over the next two years.
    My opinion has been and somewhat remains the following. Reverse engenering a design without adapting all aspects of it to your new specifications always without exception mandates SOME Lackluster overall performance. The problem with stealing tech and putting it into your design is that if your design is altered the tech performing will be out of optimality with what was intended. Case in point is the engines in the story. The Chinese copied them but modified their planes so under performance resulted. [I think they couldn't get liftoff in one story not sure though].

What is often ignored is the alloy composition of things that are under severe strain in aspects of technology that are most in use. Ergo turbofan blades, or injection mechanism or combustion rim composition and various other factors that might not be obvious. Stealing everything takes time, but more so it takes the will to actually gain insight and knowledge into why things are the way they are. Apparently this last aspect is not practiced much.

The other story that reignited and underlined this belief is this one.
    Lack of propellants grounds Iran’s missiles « IISS Voices
    Now stealing propellant dynamics is well in my mind impossible unless you get those scientists to develop the same recepie that is cooked in the same way for the same fuselage of the rocket with the same dynamics and warhead. Lots of factors all predicated on getting the correct cake baked and packaged in a very special way. I am sure it could be copied but would be very hard and my guess is developing your own is easier but maybe I am wrong who knows. Just think all those wonderful things attached to the propellant, the warhead, the guidance system all predicated on it pushing the vehicle to the final destination. Etc...

https://aerospaceblog.wordpress.com/...-fighter-jets/

Perhaps I am a know nothing moron and all it takes is time and effort. But my guess is without critical thought and actual bottom up after you copy something based on your own designs you get a ka-plunkt in the performance of that thing you wanted it to do.
    Originally from Sochi, Russia.

150 years ago, if you had an example of something, you could replicate it, because all nations used the same basic materials... simple steels, iron, copper alloys, wood. Today, it's obviously different. Even with analytical machines like mass spectrometers and the like that can determine the exact composition of anything, that doesn't tell you how those components are put together for a coherent whole.

Like a solid propellant... they can say "It's 78.3% ammonium perchlorate, 18% HBAN rubber, 1.8% binder, 2.6% carbon black, etc" but that says nothing about how it is mixed, shaped, cured, and packaged, which is the result only of decades of research for best performance and safety. Along with what something is, they need to know exactly how it is put together.

Comment

Hmm... So that's why I can't make my mom's cookies. Tho I have the recipes.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

"It's 78.3% ammonium perchlorate, 18% HBAN rubber, 1.8% binder, 2.6% carbon black, etc
        Ahh, but that does explain why it burns so vigorously...
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
        X