Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting in Sikh Temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty interesting doc on British Sikhs:

Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
      Dok, I'm impressed you knew about the existence of Sikhs on this planet and can differentiate. ;)

You knew this before you asked me about the avatar or after?
      Saw this comming. I would call them Indians, not Sikhs, but would have differentiated them from Talibans ;) And as I said we have none here.

A little lost, mate. Where do India and Pakistan fit in?
      If tomorrow Pakistan does something and Pakistani community in USA becomes a target of hate crimes I wonder what campaign would have been done to make a difference on first sight.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        Saw this comming. I would call them Indians, not Sikhs, but would have differentiated them from Talibans ;) And as I said we have none here.

If tomorrow Pakistan does something and Pakistani community in USA becomes a target of hate crimes I wonder what campaign would have been done to make a difference on first sight.
        Dok, the Indian-Pakistani politics doesn't come into play here since a large portion of Sikhs in the Americas, especially the ones on the West coast, are second or third generation Sikhs and don't identify themselves as Indians. Their great-grandfathers migrated to the Americas in the late 1800s or early 1900s, at a time when Pakistan did not exist and Punjab was undivided, meaning many of their ancestral homes are today in the Punjabi lands which became a part of Pakistan in 1947. Besides them, the Sikh community in the West is also made up of a large portion of the over 100,000 Afghan Sikhs which have been fleeing Afghanistan since the '80s due to religious persecution in that country. The subcontinent's geopolitics are of little concern to the larger Sikh communities in the West.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
          Dok, the Indian-Pakistani politics doesn't come into play here since a large portion of Sikhs in the Americas, especially the ones on the West coast, are second or third generation Sikhs and don't identify themselves as Indians. Their great-grandfathers migrated to the Americas in the late 1800s or early 1900s, at a time when Pakistan did not exist and Punjab was undivided, meaning many of their ancestral homes are today in the Punjabi lands which became a part of Pakistan in 1947. Besides them, the Sikh community in the West is also made up of a large portion of the over 100,000 Afghan Sikhs which have been fleeing Afghanistan since the '80s due to religious persecution in that country. The subcontinent's geopolitics are of little concern to the larger Sikh communities in the West.
          How large is that portion?

I have met a few on the West coast and most of them still have families/property and interests in India. They travel there quite frequently and consider themselves American Indians like many other American Indians.

Of course, this is not to say there may not be many who identify themselves as just American. Especially after the tragic events of 1984. Many in areas like Vancouver have become quite radical as well.

Some have come quite far from the days when Hindu families sent their oldest kids to become Sikhs and go save the Dharma. ;)
          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

Originally posted by Vinod2070 View Post
            How large is that portion?

I have met a few on the West coast and most of them still have families/property and interests in India. They travel there quite frequently and consider themselves American Indians like many other American Indians.

Of course, this is not to say there may not be many who identify themselves as just American. Especially after the tragic events of 1984.
            Vinod, the point being that the Sikh community in the Americas (both Canada and the US) is very diverse; therefore, they do not collectively identify themselves as Indian.

I’ve travelled to BC and seen the Vancouver lowlands, places like Surrey, largely consist of recent immigrants from India and they all huddle up in the same suburbs. The older generation Sikh migrants are largely spread out through Northern areas of Vancouver, as well as rural BC. They are more integrated and spread out unlike the recent immigrant communities. The farms and lumber mills in BC mostly belong to the older gen Sikh community.

If you were to travel to Espanola in New Mexico, the Sikh community there is largely Caucasian, with some Afro-American converts. They belong to an American sect of Sikhism called the “Sikh Dharma", and although they are seen as heretics by the Punjabi clergy, they still form a part of the wider American Sikh community, numbering in their thousands.

Many in areas like Vancouver have become quite radical as well.
            Radical in their support of Punjab's secession from India, yes. Religiously radical? Not really.

Some have come quite far from the days when Hindu families sent their oldest kids to become Sikhs and go save the Dharma. ;)
            Vinod, that's largely a myth. The Sikh Empire was established on the backbone of 12 independent Sikh 'Misls'. Each Misl was composed of a particular Punjabi clan. The Dhillon clan made up the Bhangi Misl, the Sidhu clan made up the Phulkian Misl, the Sandhu clan made up the Kanhaiya and the Nakai Misls, the Shaheedan Misl was made up of the very orthodox Damdama Sikhs (same fundamentalist religious school, Damdami Taksal, which Bhinderenwala would be a product of centuries later), etc, etc. The eldest Hindu son being raised a Sikh may have been a later practice, due to the discrimination in military recruitment practiced by the British in Punjab.

Comment

The eldest Hindu son being raised a Sikh may have been a later practice, due to the discrimination in military recruitment practiced by the British in Punjab.
              I guess I need to read up more on this aspect.
              There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

Working...
              X