X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team USA's Opening and Closing Ceremony uniforms were made in China

Team USA's Opening and Closing Ceremony uniforms were made in China
    1 hour ago by SteveDel

On Tuesday, the US Olympic Committee officially unveiled the threads Team USA will be wearing during the Opening and Closing Ceremony Parade at the London Olympics this summer. As usual, the uniforms have drawn mixed reviews. Similar to the way people felt at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, some are saying they reek of military propaganda while others appreciate the nostalgic feel of the navy blazers, white pants and berets. Those are simply opinions, but the fact of the matter is the uniforms are made in China.

While they were designed in America by the famous Ralph Lauren himself, the US athletes will be covered in head to toe with garments and accessories that are labeled “Made in China.” Like many others, US fashion designer Nanette Lepore said she is shocked that the uniform manufacturing was outsourced.

“Why shouldn’t we have pride not only in the American athletes, but in the American manufacturers and laborers who are the backbone of our country?” Lepore asked according to ABC News. “Why? What’s wrong? Why was that not a consideration?”

In fact, Lepore says US manufacturers could have made the uniforms much cheaper. The men’s uniforms cost close to $2,000 each while the women’s are nearly $1,500, with the men’s blazers and shirts making up nearly $1,000 of that price and the women’s blazers and skirts doing the same. When ABC News reached out to the US Olympic committee for comment, they gave a very generic answer.

“The U.S. Olympic team is privately funded and we’re grateful for the support of our sponsors. We’re proud of our partnership with Ralph Lauren, an iconic American company.”

The US is not the first country to be upset with their Olympic uniforms (see Great Britain’s uniforms here). Americans are simply displeased for a different reason.

Photo credit: Ralph Lauren/AP Photo
    Team USA's Opening and Closing Ceremony uniforms were made in China - Yardbarker

I have no problem with that.

Hu Jintao flies around the world in a Boeing.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

Hu Jintao flies around the world in a Boeing.
    Yep.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

You guys read the comments? They're hilarious.

These people don't seem to understand that big money is in designing stuff rather than put stuff together. I'd rather have Americans design clothing and electronics for other countries to manufacture, than to have Americans manufacture these cheap trinkets.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

His chinese alternative for air travel escapes me. Perhaps one of you can help me out there?
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Gunnut Reply

"I'd rather have Americans design clothing and electronics for other countries to manufacture, than to have Americans manufacture these cheap trinkets."

That's fine so long as patent and copyright protection exists. It does-but only in some countries and then at an exorbinant cost in legal fees to pursue. My company's fishing blanks are entirely American-made and designed. Our rods, sadly, aren't. The U.S. has completely out-sourced the manufacturing of rod-guides. Everything else about our rods is designed and produced in America, primarily at our plant.

The designs from my company have been lifted world-wide but...mainly Asia. The complexity of trade issues overwhelm our legislators. Start discussing it and their eyes glaze. Having said all that, I don't advocate "Buy American". I DO advocate "Buy Best".
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
            I DO advocate "Buy Best".
            It shifts around all the time too. Once upon a time nobody did better electronics or cars than Japan. Now for cars it's a close tie between the Europeans and the Koreans, and for electronics US-China. US because they radically redesigned virtually every useful electronic device I can think of, China because they put it all together. Of course if you want tasty animals we've always been the best. I'm willing to bet your complete fishing rods are indeed the best because passion is the primary driver of quality.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
              His chinese alternative for air travel escapes me. Perhaps one of you can help me out there?
              :wors:

Anyway, do RL or Nike have factories or suppliers in USA?
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                It shifts around all the time too. Once upon a time nobody did better electronics or cars than Japan. Now for cars it's a close tie between the Europeans and the Koreans, and for electronics US-China. US because they radically redesigned virtually every useful electronic device I can think of, China because they put it all together. Of course if you want tasty animals we've always been the best. I'm willing to bet your complete fishing rods are indeed the best because passion is the primary driver of quality.
                We have nice iron ore...and uranium. Fortunately these will never run out & current record high prices will continue forever, so our future is assured.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                  We have nice iron ore...and uranium. Fortunately these will never run out & current record high prices will continue forever, so our future is assured.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    New Zea Land! New Zea Land! New Zea Land!
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Well, maybe this one time, they should have had the togs made in the USA just for form's sake.

Very stylish outfit. The berets look a touch French or like a throwback to the the Lincoln Brigade.

What the hell, the game's the thing.
                      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Made in America: The short list - CNN.com

Accessories:
                        - Arne Mason: leather carrying cases
                        - Blackbox Case: wooden laptop cases
                        - Makr Carry Goods: bags, stools, wallets, belts
                        - NATIVE(X): totes, scarves, jewelry, mugs
                        - Pierrepont Hicks: ties, bowties
                        - Randolph Engineering: glasses, sunglasses
                        - Summit Creek Dry Goods: wallets, key chains, belts
                        - Estex Mfg. Co.: Tool sheaths, aprons, buckets, holsters
                        Bags:
                        - Duluth Pack
                        - GORUCK
                        - J.W. Hulme
                        - Maptote
                        - Mountain Ridge Gear
                        Clothes:
                        - All American Clothing
                        - American Apparel
                        - Beverly Hills Basics
                        - Pendleton
                        - Pointer Brand
                        - Taylor Stitch
                        - Todd Shelton
                        - UNIS
                        Footwear:
                        - Capps Shoe Company
                        - Rancourt and Company
                        - Red Wing Heritage line
                        Headwear:
                        - Bollman Hat Company
                        - Stormy Kromer
                        - Walz Caps
                        - BUZZLINE
                        Random:
                        - Litespeed Bicycles
                        - K'NEX: Children's toys
                        - Geneva Manufacturing: Modular garage organizing gear
                        - Purrfectplay: Pet toys
                        - Simplicity Vacuums
                        - Steelman Cycles
                        - Braun Corporation: Manufacturer of wheelchair lifts and ramps, transit vehicles
                        I can't see Levi's on the list.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

America is still the largest manufacturer in the world is it not?

Leibniz

Comment

"I can't see Levi's on the list."

Should you? My Levis are like the opening ceremony at the Olympics- Egypt, Pakistan, U.A.E., Colombia, Mexico. Size? Don't count on a fit without first trying them on. Now I buy Wrangler at one-half the price.

Comment

Wrangler and Lee are also not on the list.

Now, don't tell me Zippo and Ford Mustang are made outside USA.

Damn Coke started it.

Comment

Working...
                              X