• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Pay System Broken

Report: Pay should reward higher combat risk

By Andrew Tilghman - Staff writer
    Posted : Monday Jul 2, 2012 15:34:43 EDT

The military’s current framework for compensating troops in combat is broken and needs to be radically overhauled, according to the newly released 11th Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation.

The report, required by law every four years, concluded that “there is little correlation between exposure to danger and compensation benefits.”

The thrust of the report affirms that while deploying to a combat zone can be generally lucrative in terms of compensation, greater danger doesn’t necessarily mean more money — in fact, far from it.
    Related reading

DoD needs more flexibility to recruit, retain

Reserve pay and benefits need overhaul
    Tell us

Is the system broken? What do you think of the proposals to fix it? Email us your comments. Please include your name, city, state and rank. Your comments may be used as a letter to the editor.

Take the example of a junior enlisted grunt deployed to Helmand province, Afghanistan. He’s living in a tent and getting shot at routinely, for which he gets a flat $225 per month in “hostile fire pay” and a “combat-zone tax exclusion” worth a few hundred dollars a month.

Meanwhile, a Navy O-6 assigned to Bahrain also gets a stipend, “imminent danger pay,” worth that same $225 a month. And his combat-zone tax exclusion will be worth well over $1,250 a month. Bahrain is technically part of a designated combat zone, but the Navy deems the risk to be so low that a sailor can relocate his family there, send his kids to local schools and go out drinking at local bars for happy hour.

Military data show that junior enlisted troops are far more likely to suffer serious or fatal combat injuries than troops at other paygrades. Troops at the E-3 level are roughly twice as likely to be a combat casualty, compared with an E-5 or a first-year commissioned officer, data show.
    QRMC EXPLAINED

The Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation is conducted every four years by law under the direction of the White House and provides Pentagon officials with analysis and recommendations on how to improve the compensation system for the all-volunteer force. This year’s QRMC marks the 11th report since the end of the draft in 1973.

The report concluded military troops are paid well compared with civilians who have similar levels of education. After a decade of higher-than-average pay raises, military compensation for enlisted personnel is better than 90 percent of civilians in similar careers, according to the report; for officers, that drops to 83 percent of civilians.

It’s unclear which — if any — of the new report’s recommendations may become reality. Proposals on combat pay, incentive pays and reservists’ compensation would require high-level approval by the Pentagon and changes in law by Congress.

Historically, the QRMC’s record is mixed. The last one, in 2008, offered a detailed outline for changing the military’s retirement system, but that received little political support and led to no real changes.

Yet some QRMCs do have an impact. The final 1997 report recommended an overhaul of the military pay scales to boost the reward for promotion relative to time in service. That helped lay the groundwork for a series of targeted pay raises over the next few years for certain paygrades.

In 2002, the QRMC made an additional recommendation that education be considered when setting pay levels for the enlisted ranks, which also was adopted. Both proposals led to significant increases in pay for many enlisted troops.

With all that in mind, the QRMC says Congress and the Pentagon should consider a series of measures to “strengthen the relationship between combat and compensation so that combat compensation more appropriately rewards those service members who face the greatest possibility of being injured or losing their lives as a result of hostile action.”

The QRMC’s recommendations — which would require approval from Congress — call for two major changes to today’s pay plan to give more money to troops who are most often in harm’s way.
    Higher hostile fire pay

One change would set hostile fire pay higher than imminent danger pay. Now, they’re both $225 per month, allowing for no monetary distinction between an infantryman deployed to the most dangerous places in the world and an administrative officer working in the Philippines, Cuba or Greece.

The QRMC also suggests that imminent danger pay could be broken down into several categories that offer more money for increased risk.

The result would be to replace today’s flat payment of $225 with a multilevel pay scale that offers more money to troops who face more danger, and less — or even no — additional money for troops who face low-level risks.

The report does not recommend any specific amounts for the new combat pays.
    A new tax credit

A second and potentially more significant proposal would eliminate the current combat-zone tax exclusion and replace it with a tax credit that puts more cash in the pockets of lower-ranking troops.

The tax exclusion essentially shields military pay from federal taxes up to the highest level of monthly enlisted pay, for the service’s senior enlisted advisers. This effectively means only senior O-5s and above pay any federal taxes while in a combat zone.

But the real value of the tax exclusion is difficult to calculate and hinges on many financial factors. In general, its value increases with income level, reflecting the progressive nature of the U.S. tax code in which people who make more money pay more in taxes.

As a result, junior enlisted troops see a modest actual benefit from the tax exclusion because the tax bill on their base salary is comparatively small. The tax benefit for an E-3 amounts to less than $300 a month, for example.

In contrast, senior officers whose base pay can exceed $100,000 a year typically expect to have a large tax bill, so the exclusion provides them with a far larger windfall. For example, officers in paygrades O-4 to O-6 see a benefit of about $1,200 per month, according to a tax analysis conducted for the QRMC.

In 2009, the value of the tax exclusion ranged from a low of $280 up to $22,430. The median value was $4,600.

In fact, the calculations can be so complex that accountants can use the combat-zone tax exclusion to manipulate tax returns in a way that results in senior officers receiving thousands of dollars through the Earned Income Tax Credit, a program intended to help low-income families with children, the report said.

The tax credit provided an additional $3.6 billion to service members in 2009, far more than the total value of hostile fire pay and imminent danger pay combined.

But individual troops rarely understand the combat-zone tax exclusion’s true impact.

“The benefit to members is not easily quantified, since it depends upon the individual member’s marginal tax bracket plus the impact on a variety of federal and state programs,” the report says. “The complexity of the benefit calculated from an income tax return reduces the likelihood that an individual can compare the risks and rewards of combat.”

To make the system more equitable, the report recommends Congress pass a law converting the combat-zone tax exclusion into a clearly defined tax credit that is refundable, meaning the Internal Revenue Service will cut you a check at the end of the year if your tax credit is larger than your tax bill.

For example, if the law offered a $10,000 refundable tax credit for troops serving in a combat zone, the real effect for senior officers would be to lower their tax bill by $10,000. The real effect for junior enlisted troops would be to eliminate their entire tax bill of about $3,000, then give them a check for the remaining $7,000 at the end of the year.

However, one advantage of the tax exclusion is that the benefit adds money to each biweekly military paycheck, so families have more money upfront during a service member’s deployment.

In contrast, while a refundable tax credit may ultimately mean more money, it would not show up on a troop’s bottom line until after deployment — after annual tax returns are filed and that money arrives in the form of a refund.

Another key recommendation from the QRMC calls on the president to conduct an annual review of the list of areas eligible for imminent danger pay and the combat-zone tax exclusion.

In recent decades, the list of places where troops receive IDP has expanded to more than 50 countries — more than one in four worldwide — as well as large swaths of sea and airspace. Report: Pay should reward higher combat risk - Military News | News From Afghanistan, Iraq And Around The World - Military Times
    A system that pays a private on the front lines $225 a month combat pay and the same to a private deployed in a low-risk duty station abroad seems unfair.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

The problem is more a case of defining what exactly is a combat zone, I understand that Afghanistan has no airforce so that things are a bit less defined there, but does an airman doing combat duty fixing airplanes doing combat missions deserve combat pay? Historically the military has said yes and this makes sense because if our planes can attack their bases and positions, their planes bombs and missiles can do the same. Also this is a combat mission he is doing, there is added priority to it and the airman will do everything possible to ensure that the airplane is in the very best possible shape to assist the pilot and the ground troops he is supporting.

Secondly since we have decided that people directly working as a part of operations in combat missions are deserving of combat pay are we supposed to then scale pay based on risk? As a Bradley driver in a quiet district, I I might have a couple of ineffectual shots fired in my general direction, or have a few bombs go off near the base but my actual sustained risk is low. Now as an infantry scout assigned to a remote firebase doing foot patrols in tribal areas near Pakistan I may well be seeing direct incoming fire near daily are we really going to try and send an accountant out to assess direct risk based on each?

Now the tax exclusion is going to benefit those with higher pay more than those with lower spots on the pay scale but I really question the sense in the government handing someone a check then directly asking for part of it back anyway. What we are seeing is a need to review some of the locations that get imminent danger pay, and perhaps see about changing around ammounts a bit based on location and perceived risk but then you have to explain to a widow or mother why their armed forces member got blown up in a region that was comparatively safe only worth so much in hostile pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
      The problem is more a case of defining what exactly is a combat zone, I understand that Afghanistan has no airforce so that things are a bit less defined there, but does an airman doing combat duty fixing airplanes doing combat missions deserve combat pay? Historically the military has said yes and this makes sense because if our planes can attack their bases and positions, their planes bombs and missiles can do the same. Also this is a combat mission he is doing, there is added priority to it and the airman will do everything possible to ensure that the airplane is in the very best possible shape to assist the pilot and the ground troops he is supporting.

Secondly since we have decided that people directly working as a part of operations in combat missions are deserving of combat pay are we supposed to then scale pay based on risk? As a Bradley driver in a quiet district, I I might have a couple of ineffectual shots fired in my general direction, or have a few bombs go off near the base but my actual sustained risk is low. Now as an infantry scout assigned to a remote firebase doing foot patrols in tribal areas near Pakistan I may well be seeing direct incoming fire near daily are we really going to try and send an accountant out to assess direct risk based on each?
      How many levels of combat zones should we have? And where should we draw the line between them?

I see you are thinking in terms of jobs within a combat zone. Shouldn't everyone in a given zone be considered more or less equally at risk? I can envision an administrative nightmare if the services try to grade the risk each individual every works under in a given zone.

Comment

Easy enough fix. Imminent danger pay for everybody within the Theater of War. Allow Hostile Fire pay IN ADDITION for those operating within the designated combat zone, to include the tactical rear areas and those based outside who enter the combat zone on a regular basis (say, for instance, more than seven days per month). Pro-rate Hostile Fire pay for "daytrippers" who infrequently enter the combat zone "just to have a look around". If you are in an area safe enough for dependents to be housed, you just get Overseas pay; the "danger" exists but it asn't all that "imminent". Authorizing all three of these allowances for those most in danger would more than make up for the disparity in pay; and we pay senior officers and NCO's more for a REASON.

Comment

Originally posted by sourkraut115 View Post
          Easy enough fix. Imminent danger pay for everybody within the Theater of War. Allow Hostile Fire pay IN ADDITION for those operating within the designated combat zone, to include the tactical rear areas and those based outside who enter the combat zone on a regular basis (say, for instance, more than seven days per month). Pro-rate Hostile Fire pay for "daytrippers" who infrequently enter the combat zone "just to have a look around". If you are in an area safe enough for dependents to be housed, you just get Overseas pay; the "danger" exists but it asn't all that "imminent". Authorizing all three of these allowances for those most in danger would more than make up for the disparity in pay; ...

Makes sense to me if it can be administered fairly. Who makes the call on who fits in which zone...commanding officers, personnel people...?

...and we pay senior officers and NCO's more for a REASON.
          For a reason other than pay grade?

Comment

I would say that the COCOM or the theater J-1 would make that decision, but maybe it would have to go upstairs to DOD. And yes, of course we pay them more for reasons other than pay grade. They hold their ranks and pay grades at least nominally based on what they bring to the table; experience, training, and leadership. I'm sorry, but I see no need to start some sort of class warfare because a colonel (or, say, a sergeant major) gets paid more than a private. Being a private sucks -I was one, my first war- but you learn, you gain knowledge and experience, and you move up, getting paid accordingly. Last I checked, we were still an all volunteer force led by professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by sourkraut115 View Post
              I'm sorry, but I see no need to start some sort of class warfare because a colonel (or, say, a sergeant major) gets paid more than a private. Being a private sucks -I was one, my first war- but you learn, you gain knowledge and experience, and you move up, getting paid accordingly. Last I checked, we were still an all volunteer force led by professionals.
              Starting class warfare over combat pay levels was the last thing on my mind. You said there was a 'reason' higher grades got higher combat pay. I was asking what that was. It's a valid question from the standpoint of risk, since risk is presumed to be equal for everyone in a war zone from pvt on up. So I gather you're saying combat pay should be graded beyond mere risk to include experience and knowledge. Fair enough. I can see a retention benefit in that.

Should one also consider the fact that the risk increases the more a troop is exposed to warfare? For example, should an E-5 in his 2nd or 3rd tour get more than in his first tour?

Comment

Not higher combat pay. Higher PAY. If that wasn't clear, I apologize. the allowances are NOT higher for higher ranks.

The E-5 gets paid more for subsequent tours only in that he is likely to have been promoted, or to have reached a "step" increase in his regular pay, by the time those subsequent tours occur. The combat allowances do not increase; they simply activate, at the same rate for all grades eligible to recieve them, upon entry to the designated combat zone or imminent danger zone. But, particularly in the lower grades, one does not generally stay in those lower pay grades long.
                Last edited by sourkraut115; 09 Jul 12,, 21:34.

Comment

Sourkraut:

NP...the article is about combat pay, so I assumed... :)

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                    How many levels of combat zones should we have? And where should we draw the line between them?

I see you are thinking in terms of jobs within a combat zone. Shouldn't everyone in a given zone be considered more or less equally at risk? I can envision an administrative nightmare if the services try to grade the risk each individual every works under in a given zone.

Not really on everyone in a combat zone being equally at risk. I was technically in a combat zone during Iraqi Freedom run-up. While in theory a Scud could have landed on my head doing to the barracks from the hanger, or have landed directly in-front of the hanger when we were preflighting the plane the odds of that were astronomically tiny. Supposedly the barracks was hardened though a direct strike from any reasonable warhead in my opinion would have taken it down. The hanger was for real hardened. Compare that with the guys 10 months later when the roadside bombers were really getting their craft down and erroring on the side of overkill. Statistically I was safer where I was stationed than I would have been at my permanent duty location, going about the typical things an early 20's unattached airman do.

I was trying earlier to point out that combat pay is an inherently broken system if we are signing checks based on risk like the comment in the subbies post under the article states. I was trying to advocate an idea of assigning combat pay to an area and leaving it at that otherwise you have to figure out how to compensate a guy going in and leading cave clearing versus the admin guy who leaves main base once a week to deliver and pick up paperwork as part of a convoy.

Comment

I was trying to advocate an idea of assigning combat pay to an area and leaving it at that otherwise you have to figure out how to compensate a guy going in and leading cave clearing versus the admin guy who leaves main base once a week to deliver and pick up paperwork as part of a convoy.
                      Probably the best if everyone operating in a given zone get equal combat pay. But should there be zones, like hot, medium, warm and nada?

Comment

I think combat zone, at risk area, and that's it other wise we get to complicated by trying to decide how much of a threat is a given area at a given time. and these two choices should basically be broad swath areas.

Comment

I think combat zone, at risk area, and that's it other wise we get to complicated by trying to decide how much of a threat is a given area at a given time. and these two choices should basically be broad swath areas.
                          I agree. Keep it simple and fair.

Comment

It already was simple and fair, really. It certainly wasn't broken. This "study" complaining about the tax-deferment and so on was a waste of time in and of itself. While my plan might be "nice", it isn't necessary. Whoever is pushing these new plans, and essentially trying to penalize officers and vital support personnel, is basically trying to ignite class warfare within the armed forces and to curry favor, for some reason, with a few unthinking lower enlisted. Most lower enlisted will actually see that this proposal does not benefit them, either, of course -but that doesn't seem to stop the bright idea people, who are probably walking around in reflective-belt body armor right now.

Comment

One summer in the mid 90s I have met 4 US soldiers who had some days off in Ohrid. They were all deployed under UN mission here.

The second day one of them said he will seek transfer to Bosnia. He said he feels he is needed more there and can contribute more in that mission. Being young we couldn't see other reason, so soon we teased him he is seeking a bigger pay there. Other soldiers explained he will get paid same in Bosnia as in Macedonia. The biggest risk for UN soldiers here at the time was them getting in conflict with the locals over a girl.

As it was weird to me back then how is the system so sloppy not to recognize the risks, it is even more weird that after almost 2 decades this matter is not solved or improved. I am more then certain there is a possibility to make a system that will calculate the risk and award the troops accordingly. Of course it wont be perfect, but sure the current one can get improved.
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X