USS Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Texas

Did not find a Texas thread so started a new one.

100-year-old Battleship Texas springs leak

By Ramit Plushnick-Masti - The Associated Press
    Posted : Wednesday Jun 13, 2012 18:11:30 EDT

LA PORTE, Texas — Children shimmy up the barrels of massive cannons on the upper decks of the 100-year-old Battleship Texas, focused on firing at an imaginary enemy and oblivious to the tension in the historic vessel’s belly where a crew works on pumping out dozens of gallons of oil-laced water.

The battleship where the young tourists roam became flooded over the weekend. Staff arrived Saturday and immediately noticed something was wrong with the ship that fought in World Wars I and II and has served since 1948 as a memorial and museum to those who sacrificed their lives.

The vessel was sitting awkwardly in its slip. She was lower in the water and listing to the left.

“We got down to the lower portions of the ship and discovered that we had taken on more water than usual in areas that we normally don’t,” ship manager Andy Smith said. “They started pumping throughout the day Saturday, and it got progressively worse.”

The situation was so dire by Sunday that the ship’s caretaker, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, had to find more pumps to help remove the water. Smith said the news got worse on Monday.

Water had entered areas that housed old oil tanks used when the ship was still on active duty and serving in every theater in World War II. The Navy had emptied out the oil before handing the vessel over to Texas, but hadn’t cleaned out the tanks. Smith realized he had an environmental issue on his hands.

He hired a company to skim the oil off the top of the water and set up boom in case any of it landed in Buffalo Bayou and the Houston Ship Channel. Meanwhile, Smith’s pumps are working nonstop to remove the water from the bottom, and at least ensure no more liquids get on the vessel.

“It seems like every time we turn around there’s more oil because obviously it’s very residual but it spreads really nice, especially in this nice Texas heat,” Smith said.

Until the oil is removed, workers can’t get out all the water and look for the source of the problem, which could be several things. It is possible, he said, that the oil will be completely removed by late Wednesday. Then, it should only take a few hours to remove the water, though Smith said he is preparing for the possibility that more water will flow in for a short time after the oil is completely removed due to a change in pressure.

Still, he hopes to at least know the source of the problem by Thursday so the crew can begin designing a repair plan.

William R. Bradshaw, an 87-year-old World War II veteran who says he was on a Navy ship during the invasion of Japan, hopes to be a part of the repair effort. On Wednesday, he sat in a shady area of the vessel as rowdy children ran up the ramp. He was waiting to discuss with Smith whether the epoxy his plastics company produces can seal the holes, as it did in 1985 when the battleship had a five-month leak that befuddled the crew.

“I’ve always thought that I would develop a product that would be dedicated to the Navy,” Bradshaw said, proud that his company, Bradco Plastics, Inc., has had a part in ensuring future generations can visit the historic ship. “It’s kind of like coming home again because when you spend over two years on one at sea, you get all the cruise experience you really want. So it’s something that it’s nice to come back to.”

Smith simply wants to get to the point where he can repair the problem and move ahead with a long-term, multimillion-dollar plan to build a dry berth for the battleship.

“It’s a mammoth effort to keep her preserved. She is an artifact. She is a museum, too,” Smith said, noting that normally artifacts are preserved in a climate-controlled environment, “on velvet, under glass.”

“She can’t be that way. We actually let people play on the artifact, run around on her, and the artifact interacts with the environment in a lot of negative ways,” Smith said. “So we rust, constantly rust. There’s deterioration, the sun beating down, hot, cold, all of that has an effect, long-term effect, on the ship.”
    100-year-old Battleship Texas springs leak - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

Attached Files

In an effort to get the old BB out of the water and the water out of the old BB, some may find the various dry berth proposals of interest.
    Battleship TEXAS Dry Berth Phase 1 - YouTube

Comment

Philadelphia Resins also did some resin sealing in the ship. But I don't think just plugging it with plastic will do the job.

What you need to do, once you find the source of the leak and the size of the hole, is build a cofferdam to seal it on the outside. Basically a cofferdam is a raft with rubber tubing on top that can be filled with air for buoyancy. It will take divers to set it in place. Then you pump the water out of the cofferdam.

Then the corroded areas can be clad welded or "butter welded" from the inside. Once the welding is done, the bottom of the cofferdam can be removed. Air will then pump the water out of the inside of the cofferdam. Then divers can weld the bottom side, clean and paint it.

We did this on a few ships at LBNSY. The biggest problem is building the cofferdam to the right shape to fit over the hull. If it's the flat bottom it will be fairly easy. But if it's in the turn of the bilge, you have to get out the Mold Loft Offsets and make templates to fit the curve. The templates are then used to cut the metal sides of the cofferdam to the correct shape, add a flatbar "flange" on the four sides to secure the rubber tubes (hoses) to seal against the hull of the ship.

Good luck. She's a great ship having served in BOTH World Wars and the blockade of Vera Cruz in between the wars. One of my co-workers at LBNSY served on the Texas in WW II and was in the advance planning department during the reactivation of the Battleships in the '80's. He was going to retire, but when the Iowas came back out, he stayed on when we first modernized the New Jersey and until the Missouri was recommissioned.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Oh boy. I hope these spaces have been taken care of since these pictures were taken.

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

Attached Files

Comment

Atleast its leaking slower...... Still leaking, USS Texas to close for repairs next week - Houston Chronicle

Comment

I suspect it's a corroded rivet. Had quite a number of those on various classes of ships we had at LBNSY. If the outer head corroded enough, the rest of the rivet would pop through.

If it is ONLY a rivet hole, a diver can clamp a piece of copper over the hole on the outside and the welding can be done on the inside.

I recommend 310 E stainless steel welding rod. It's former name was 25-20 due to its content being 25% chromium and 20% nickel. It will NEVER rust out again. Plus it's easier to weld as you do not have to oscilate as you do with 6010 medium steel rod.

Comment

850 gallons per minute sounds like one baseball size hole or a bunch of smaller ones...

Comment

Yeah! That's why in my first posting that they must be prepared to build a cofferdam to fit like a "rescue chamber" over the hole on the outside. Then after interior welding is done, exterior can do the finish coat. Don't bother grinding anything smooth. Just hit it with wire brush wheels to get the slag out, prime it and paint it.

Comment

Out of Touch with recent hull repair....

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  Yeah! That's why in my first posting that they must be prepared to build a cofferdam to fit like a "rescue chamber" over the hole on the outside. Then after interior welding is done, exterior can do the finish coat. Don't bother grinding anything smooth. Just hit it with wire brush wheels to get the slag out, prime it and paint it.
                  ... and I thought I was an artist with 6013 rod on rusty rotten farm equipment and a fiz can of International Red !

I may be out of touch here on this updated thread, but didn't the Texas folk just spend a large amount of funds dragging the Texas ouf of the mud to replace a significant area of her outer hull?

That last picture posted of her interior was spooky

Comment

She was last dragged out of the mud in 1988, and replaced in 1990.

Comment

The Texas is a bit different than the other Battleships. The Texas was put away wet and the group that had her from the 40's- early 80's did a terrible job of taking care of her and let maintenance slip into a really poor state, which the subsequent group has never been able to recover from. (sort of like Olympia) The concrete deck is a prime example of this. The other BB's had the advantage of being genuinely mothballed for several years before becoming museums, so they were put up in a better condition than the Texas was. They generally have been taken better care of and all of them have received major hull work already. (except the North Carolina. but I hear they are working on her hull via cofferdam) I've been on every BB, except the Massachusetts. (Iowa was active when I got to visit though, so was Wisconsin, but I've seen Wisconsin at Nauticus as well) The yard period in the late 80's only fixed the worst of the issues that were causing immediate issues at that time. Only 15% of the hull plate was replaced and due to money, a lot of long term work was deferred. Some of that deferred work is what's biting them in the rear now. I've done a hard hat tour of the Texas and it's pretty obvious that some of the lower compartments were under water for extended periods of time and you can clearly see the Swiss cheesed ribs in several spots. The Texas has been better cared for by TPWD, but as a state agency, they are usually strapped for cash. They were talking about permanently closing some parks a while back due to funding issues. I'm hoping that they come up with the money to properly restore and then dry berth her before it's too late.

Comment

The "Swiss Cheese" holes in the webs of the stiffeners are called lightening holes to lighten up the full weight of the ship. The strength of a TEE or I beam is in the flanges and their distance apart. The web is only to keep that distance. The holes also serve a secondary purpose of running piping and wireways through them thus not taking up too much interior space.

On all the Iowa class Battleships I've worked on for museums, my first rule was to NEVER, EVER sit them down in the mud. Besides chemical reactions of what minerals may be in the mud, the grit would also act like a slow sand paper and will rub off all protective paint to allow more chemical reactions to react faster in deteriorating the steel plating.

I always recommend a mooring where there is at least four feet of clearance between the bottom of the ship and the mooring site at mean low-low tide. That prevents any abrasive action of the channel, bay, river bottom and also allows safe room for divers to do periodic inspections (from mean tide to mean high high).

Comment

Labor intensive design....

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                          Oh boy. I hope these spaces have been taken care of since these pictures were taken.

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29401[/ATTACH]
                          All the angle and ventilated steel held together with rivets, yikes ! ;) Talk about job security in the shipyard.

A sad state for a dreadnought rusting away like the Olympia! Appears the hull has held water for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            The "Swiss Cheese" holes in the webs of the stiffeners are called lightening holes to lighten up the full weight of the ship. The strength of a TEE or I beam is in the flanges and their distance apart. The web is only to keep that distance. The holes also serve a secondary purpose of running piping and wireways through them thus not taking up too much interior space.
                            Sorry, I should have been more specific. The "Swiss Cheese" I was talking about, wasn't intentional, it was rust damage. (even though you can see the remains of the holes you're talking about in the remains of the frame.

That photo came from the vessel inspection and assessment report. Rusty, you may want to read this (it's not pretty and has a lot of pictures of damage) and give us your expert analysis:
                            http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-pa...ntetexassurvey
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ChrisV71; 18 Jun 12,, 16:06. Reason: Fixed mispelled word...

Comment

Rolling chocks...... Iron Ships with wooden roll chocks

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                              Sorry, I should have been more specific. The "Swiss Cheese" I was talking about, wasn't intentional, it was rust damage. (ecen though you can see the remains of the holes you're talking about in the remains of the frame.

[ATTACH]29432[/ATTACH]

That photo came from the vessel inspection and assessment report. Rusty, you may want to read this (it's not pretty and has a lot of pictures of damage) and give us your expert analysis:
                              http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-pa...ntetexassurvey
                              The learning curve jumped another notch....

Figure 10 Page 15 Subject Rolling Chock.......... I did not know that the Rolling Chocks were wood filled.
                              Was this a WWI standard? Did this technique carry forward to modern ships? ( Maybe a question for Mr. L or Wisconsin)

Comment

Working...
                              X