General MacArthur and the Fall of Bataan and Corregidor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    You might be on to something here. MacArthur did escape the Philippines onboard a PT boat, not very becoming of a high ranking officer. And he did abandon his men.
    We've been over this. MacArthur was prepared, with his wife and son no less, to die on Corregidor.
    He even had a small handgun ready for the purpose, apparently with a odd caliber that an aide initially had difficulty locating cartridges for.

He left the PI due to a direct order from FDR. And the PT Boat was used because there was nothing left to make the trip in.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      We've been over this. MacArthur was prepared, with his wife and son no less, to die on Corregidor.
      He even had a small handgun ready for the purpose, apparently with a odd caliber that an aide initially had difficulty locating cartridges for.

He left the PI due to a direct order from FDR. And the PT Boat was used because there was nothing left to make the trip in.
      I was also under the impression that Marshall under cut Mcarthur and gave overall authority to Sharp, who in turn ordered Wainwright to surrender.

Some speculate that it was Marshall getting even with Mac for giving him a bad efficiency report when Marshall was subordinate to Mac.

Any truth to that speculation?

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
        I was also under the impression that Marshall under cut Mcarthur and gave overall authority to Sharp, who in turn ordered Wainwright to surrender.

Some speculate that it was Marshall getting even with Mac for giving him a bad efficiency report when Marshall was subordinate to Mac.

Any truth to that speculation?
        I don't believe so, at least that's the first I've heard of it.

MacArthur left the PI on March 12th but Wainwright didn't surrender Corregidor until May 6th.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The Fall of the Philippines-Chapter 32

Yellow,

Go read this. You will see all acted honorably and in the best interest of the Army, their Soldiers and their nation.

I pray that I would have th same moral courage to make thos decisions under the circumstances.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

I must have missed that thread...
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              Eisenhower and Bradley both recommended MacArthur's removal.

It was clear he overstepped the boundaries of the civil-military relationship.
              No doubt. Too bad he couldn't just issue an "executive order" to get around that pesky little problem.

Comment

I must have missed that thread...
                Post 5 by me in this thread ;)

Comment

No doubt. Too bad he couldn't just issue an "executive order" to get around that pesky little problem.
                  ?????
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

?????
                    Just a little jab at Obama's use of executive order to bypass congress on the immigration issue.

Comment

Post 5 by me in this thread ;)
                      That's from last month. I can barely remember last week.

Comment

The Fall of the Philippines-Chapter 32

Yellow,

Go read this. You will see all acted honorably and in the best interest of the Army, their Soldiers and their nation.

I pray that I would have th same moral courage to make thos decisions under the circumstances.
                        Thanks, JAD, I'll read it when I get home and you just know I'm going to have questions for the historians here. :)

Comment

Thanks, JAD, I'll read it when I get home and you just know I'm going to have questions for the historians here. :)
                          Buck, as you can see, the lad first needs to learn how to read.

Comment

:red: Oh..hehe..umm...sorry AR...

In my defense, all I can say is that JAD is the only one that doesn't automatically throw darts at me.
                            Last edited by YellowFever; 03 Jul 12,, 02:59.

Comment

:red: Oh..hehe..umm...sorry AR...

In my defense, all I can say is that JAD is the only one that doesn't automatically throw darts at me.
                              No room left to stick a dart into...:)
                              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

You might be on to something here. MacArthur did escape the Philippines onboard a PT boat, not very becoming of a high ranking officer. And he did abandon his men.

I'm not sure if he had any differences with Ike during the Korean War. He wanted to fight commies and didn't like Truman too much. I believe he was sacked by Truman, which was before Ike movied into the White House in 1953.
                                I cannot say he abandoned his men, he was a better soldier than most. Being a General, would you disobey the General, in command of the Allied troops? But he wouldn't have faced any court martial, if he had not left the Philippines. I agree with his decision, but he should have resigned. Or perhaps, not.

Comment

Working...
                                X